Shopping Discussion

COVID-19 - Which retailers are going above and beyond, from a sanitary perspective?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2020 1:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
4103 posts
2254 upvotes
Toronto

COVID-19 - Which retailers are going above and beyond, from a sanitary perspective?

I did not want to lump this into the gauging thread.

Prior to my noon trip to Queensway Costco (Toronto), I really hadn't been in a retail environment for the last couple of weeks (not planned - just played out as such).

There was no line up, and upon entering, you are now offered both coupons and a sanitary wipe.
I used it to wipe my hands, but in retrospect, I should have wiped the shopping cart handle.

All food court tables were removed, leaving a large empty space. Ordering Kiosks turned off.
The food court had limited items - hot dogs and pizza. A surly lady operated the solitary condiment deployer.
It's really really weird holding the dog, but not controlling the condiment flow.

I did have to go pee, and the men's washroom smelled fresh and sanitary.
Looking around, all stainless steel everywhere was shining.
My fingers are crossed that when this fiasco wraps up, that these standards stay in play.

Anyways just wondering how people rate their shopping experiences (outside of inventory issues).

IMHO, the Costco I visited seemed to be doing a good job.

I'm not planning on heading out for any more shopping, so am curious what other people are seeing.
Any previously dingy environments that now sparkle?
107 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5349 posts
1996 upvotes
Debtario
My local sobeys always had sanitary wipes at the entrance, but last weekend they were not there, neither was the stand for them.

Sad considering this is when they are really needed. I was going to contact the manager but haven't yet.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3930 posts
3479 upvotes
The NORTH
The only ones that are taking sanitation seriously are the ones closing down.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1106 posts
493 upvotes
GTA
M1K3Z0R wrote: My local sobeys always had sanitary wipes at the entrance, but last weekend they were not there, neither was the stand for them.

Sad considering this is when they are really needed. I was going to contact the manager but haven't yet.
I'm pretty sure someone stole it.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1286 posts
1771 upvotes
West
kr0zet wrote: The only ones that are taking sanitation seriously are the ones closing down.
That may be true for some. But let's be real - a lot of retail stores are shutting down also due to decreased foot traffic & revenue, rather than caring about sanitation.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18425 posts
6458 upvotes
Toronto
Walmart is doing a crap job. No wipes or sanitizer. Cheap idiots.
Jan 8, 2015
795 posts
502 upvotes
All the grocery stores/retailers need to disable their self checkouts or make adjustments. They're all doing several unnecessary touches.

Self serve checkouts should work like this.

Scan Item(No pressing start)
Scan rewards card anytime
Press Pay with payment choice(If there's no space for this then add another step)
Tap Card

Walmart has tap disabled, asking if you scanned everything, asking if you'd like to donate
Sobeys makes you hit start
Sobeys asking if you have air miles TWICE.
Retailers asking how many bags.
Several retailers nag you for rewards card.

I'm giving all the retailers a gigantic F on the self serve checkout aspect.
Jan 30, 2013
260 posts
81 upvotes
In one of Walmart in my city the floor under the cleaner aisle is so dirty and toilet bowl cleaners are laying there for months.I told two staff about the dirt and toilet bowl cleaner on the floor under the shelf one lust last week she said they cleaners don't do a good job.It was still the same yesterday.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5818 posts
2946 upvotes
Mississauga
My local Longo’s has now reduced their operating hours, apparently to give staff more time to clean and restock shelves. There’s also a worker at the door asking you to use the hand sanitizer dispenser before entering the store.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27700 posts
8057 upvotes
Quickman wrote: Walmart has tap disabled, asking if you scanned everything, asking if you'd like to donate
I don't think they have it disabled per se, they just don't have tap-equipped terminals to begin with. In some kind of major blunder (hindsight is always 20-20 as they say) Walmart seemingly invested a crap ton of money in the terminals they have, some time not too far before tap was gaining momentum/popularity. They are probably stuck like that for another 5yrs or so, at least, before they will be upgrading/updating again, so forget about tap there.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1460 posts
2121 upvotes
Toronto
i was just at toronto eaton centre in the evening hours. there's a custodial crew standing by the escalators, wiping the moving handles each time a person goes up or goes down the escalator. a lot of custodial crew doing their work. almost all of the restaurants in the food court restaurants are closed, by the way. only a&w, mcdonald's, tim horton, kfc and big smoke burger is open
Dec 4, 2017
277 posts
252 upvotes
Since things are selling out, you can see the meat shelves at Walmart has dried up meat blood stains. The newer Walmart Supercenters have automated entry gates while the older ones you still have to use your hands/body to move the rod turnstiles, which aren't cleaned I'm sure.

I wish some retailers would also describe that air/ventilation filtets are also changed on a regular basis. Hopefully as often as I change my own furnace air filters.

Not a retailer but I would like to know if Air Canada is truly improving their cleanliness. They boast themselves as North America's best cabin cleanliness...I beg to differ. Many Asian and European air carriers are way cleaner.
Jan 21, 2013
632 posts
156 upvotes
in a bubble
at eastgate mall (Hamilton) i didnt see one hand sanitizer....none at SDM, none at winners none at homesence, none at dollarama. they should close the entire mall except for SDM.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19071 posts
2028 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
carmaster wrote: Walmart is doing a crap job. No wipes or sanitizer. Cheap idiots.
It offers false assurance. Wear one set of gloves while shopping, be mindful of which hand transfer the products into your basket / cart, then may be another set of gloves when taking it into your home. I'd spray some alcohol on them before touching it or storing it away.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)