Shopping Discussion

The COVID-19 sanitizing items treasure hunt (GTA edition)

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2020 2:42 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 29, 2020
7 posts
2 upvotes

The COVID-19 sanitizing items treasure hunt (GTA edition)

I have not had any luck finding Lysol or Clorox wipes in Toronto and have been on the hunt for those items for weeks since I'm down to my last container. Costco is always out of stock both online and in the store.

As of late July, here is what I could find:
-Lysol disinfectant spray at my local gas station. The clerk had a hidden stash of about a dozen cans behind the counter and charged triple the price but that's how I also
got 70% rubbing alcohol when I could not find it elsewhere back in May. This same gas station mysteriously restocks Lysol spray (Citrus and Clean Linen) every week and I have no idea how he does it.
-Rubbing alcohol 99% was in a large bin at No Frills recently with no limits. 70% rubbing alcohol also seen at Food Basics. Metro is hit and miss.
-Expensive grocery stores in wealthier areas tend to have more of these items in stock for some reason. Something I learned during this pandemic.
64 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19471 posts
22607 upvotes
GTA
Moni9623 wrote: I have not had any luck finding Lysol or Clorox wipes in Toronto and have been on the hunt for those items for weeks since I'm down to my last container. Costco is always out of stock both online and in the store.

As of late July, here is what I could find:
-Lysol disinfectant spray at my local gas station. The clerk had a hidden stash of about a dozen cans behind the counter and charged triple the price but that's how I also
got 70% rubbing alcohol when I could not find it elsewhere back in May. This same gas station mysteriously restocks Lysol spray (Citrus and Clean Linen) every week and I have no idea how he does it.
-Rubbing alcohol 99% was in a large bin at No Frills recently with no limits. 70% rubbing alcohol also seen at Food Basics. Metro is hit and miss.
-Expensive grocery stores in wealthier areas tend to have more of these items in stock for some reason. Something I learned during this pandemic.
Pricier grocery stores have more stock because people hoard the cheap stuff from cheaper stores. There's plenty of stock of the non-bottom of the barrel stuff.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 29, 2003
4909 posts
513 upvotes
GTA
Must not be looking very hard.. tons of supplies in the GTA
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 27, 2017
2968 posts
3198 upvotes
But what are you attempting to clean? If not a paper product, just wash it with soap and water.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19471 posts
22607 upvotes
GTA
eelw11 wrote: But what are you attempting to clean? If not a paper product, just wash it with soap and water.
Yea, wipes are bad for your hands/skin. I need to use gloves when using some of them if I don't want my skin to burn.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1810 posts
1164 upvotes
engineered wrote: Yea, wipes are bad for your hands/skin. I need to use gloves when using some of them if I don't want my skin to burn.
AHP wipes (refer to my post on hospital grade disinfectant) can be used without PPE. I have used them with bare hands and it's completely fine.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
I've seen people spraying each other in front of their house here when I walked by. Black Question Mark Ornament

Doesnt sound like a good idea to me but I did hear bleach were sprayed on some Canadians in one foreign country (Peru or Columbia..? ) before they were quarantined earlier this year. No protection and all they were asked to do was close their eyes.

DK how effective that is.
plz don't touch my signature.

don't make me less of a human just cause i don't share your "idiotologies".

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22895 posts
21742 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Hi, see you are an RFD Newbie, this being your first post

There are plenty of threads here addressing the availability of Cleaning Supplies & PPE

anybody-been-able-order-lysol-wipes-costco-ca-2365794/
availability-sanitizing-products-2385312/
when-will-mask-sanitizer-manufacturers- ... p-2387501/

Costco is still a good source... and warehouse price @ $ 19.99 for 100 Sheets X 6 Canisters of Lysol Wipes
(Online a little more)
But ... Costco has recently changed their policy about MEMBERS ONLY shopping online or Instore
(Alternatively, if you aren’t a member ... you can shop there thru InstaCart now )

Various Costco threads discuss ways to score stock online
In person, your best bet is to go as early as you can in the day after they open
They are trying to manage supply & demand
By setting out only one pallet a day
And limiting members to 1 Pkg per Account

We are at risk ... so we shop Costco’s Vulnerable Members hours (see their website)
And have never had a problem getting any Lysol Wipes
Was there the other day ... that first hour is very quiet / not busy
So even if you don’t qualify, I am sure there is lots of Lysol left long after that Vulnerable Hour is over
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
16786 posts
12020 upvotes
Toronto
So difficult to find.

:facepalm:

I bought a case of Lysol wipes today at Costco while doing my usual shopping
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 19, 2006
10967 posts
5893 upvotes
Toronto
lysol spray and hand sanitizer available at staples.ca -free shipping
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1584 posts
1077 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Swerny wrote: So difficult to find.

:facepalm:

I bought a case of Lysol wipes today at Costco while doing my usual shopping
I was in Costco the other day 5 minutes after it opened. Looked at people's shopping cart with lysol wipes and asked them which aisle it's in. Their face looked as though they just won the lottery and told me there were only had little in stock in front of the store and that there's none left for the entire lineup.

I went to Costco around 10 times since March and that one time was the only time I saw someone with lysol wipes.

You can pretend there's an abundant lysol wipes for sale and do your lame face palm to troll the OP - but it's definitely not what I observed since March.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3937 posts
3793 upvotes
Toronto
spiritsBB wrote: I was in Costco the other day 5 minutes after it opened. Looked at people's shopping cart with lysol wipes and asked them which aisle it's in. Their face looked as though they just won the lottery and told me there were only had little in stock in front of the store and that there's none left for the entire lineup.

I went to Costco around 10 times since March and that one time was the only time I saw someone with lysol wipes.

You can pretend there's an abundant lysol wipes for sale and do your lame face palm to troll the OP - but it's definitely not what I observed since March.
I've had the same experience as @Swerny in the Greater Toronto Area where the OP is asking about specifically.

I do not buy wipes I just make an alcohol spray with the bottles I buy at costco (4 500ml 99% for $14.) Do have to be careful what you use it on though as it can discolour objects.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
16786 posts
12020 upvotes
Toronto
spiritsBB wrote: You can pretend there's an abundant lysol wipes for sale and do your lame face palm to troll the OP - but it's definitely not what I observed since March.
No need to pretend. The 3 times i have needed Lysol wipes since March, Costco has them in stock. There's a guy handing them out at the back of the store, limit 1 per customer.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8435 posts
5315 upvotes
Mississauga
Which store? There is more than one Costco in Toronto, right?
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 29, 2020
7 posts
2 upvotes
Thank you, PointsHubby. I have been lurking in these threads for years but the pandemic shortages have interested me so I joined. I am a Costco member and the Lysol or Clorox wipes have been sold out online for months each time I checked and also in-store. I have been trying for months now. I see people writing here that that you have to show up at Costco at 8 am. I know that I can use bleach and make my own wipes but the smell gets to my lungs and leads to coughing fits.
I use the wipes to sanitize grocery bags, door handles, and counter surfaces. I live with elderly 80+ folks so we can't take any chances with them and I am outdoors frequently due to work.
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 29, 2020
7 posts
2 upvotes
mrweather wrote: Which store? There is more than one Costco in Toronto, right?
I only visit the Costco store in Scarborough and they never have any. Amazon was pretty funny. The system let me order a 3 pack of Lysol Wipes back in May and then cancelled the order with a message that the products have been reserved for those on the front lines for health providers.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1810 posts
1164 upvotes
Moni9623 wrote: Thank you, PointsHubby. I have been lurking in these threads for years but the pandemic shortages have interested me so I joined. I am a Costco member and the Lysol or Clorox wipes have been sold out online for months each time I checked and also in-store. I have been trying for months now. I see people writing here that that you have to show up at Costco at 8 am. I know that I can use bleach and make my own wipes but the smell gets to my lungs and leads to coughing fits.
I use the wipes to sanitize grocery bags, door handles, and counter surfaces. I live with elderly 80+ folks so we can't take any chances with them and I am outdoors frequently due to work.
Again, you can order hospital grades disinfectant wipes EASILY online ... disinfectant-wipes-hospital-grade-not-c ... l-2380760/
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 29, 2020
7 posts
2 upvotes
cahk wrote: Again, you can order hospital grades disinfectant wipes EASILY online ... disinfectant-wipes-hospital-grade-not-c ... l-2380760/
Thanks, I will check it out. They seem expensive but we have little choice right now. I remember Dollarama used to carry Lysol and Clorox wipes for $4 per 80-sheet canister a year ago. Now Dollarama does not even stock those items!
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1810 posts
1164 upvotes
Moni9623 wrote: Thanks, I will check it out. They seem expensive but we have little choice right now. I remember Dollarama used to carry Lysol and Clorox wipes for $4 per 80-sheet canister a year ago. Now Dollarama does not even stock those items!
There's a misconception about disinfection - if you use Lysol or Clorox, you would need the surface to remain visibly wet for 4 minutes to achieve disinfection. If you want that, you will need 4-5 wipes for each little surface you wipe because the liquid dries fast.

AHP wipes can achieve disinfection in 1 minute so 1 wipe is usually enough. I personally see that as a saving.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)