Jul 20, 2006
9343 posts
2810 upvotes
So who is going to be downloading it?
Sep 1, 2013
794 posts
270 upvotes
Mississauga
If it helps, I see no reason not to download it. From how I understand it works, nobody's privacy as it stake despite the pearl clutching of a few idiots.

This app is more useful the more people download it, and the greater coverage it has. And you don't even need a data plan to make use of it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6568 posts
1134 upvotes
Scarborough
I will not be traced by this app. Knowing our govt, who etc i only expect incompetence and nonserious bullshit
Nothing but an eyewash and feelgood measure. Mask wearing is enough
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7994 posts
4410 upvotes
Kootenays
Our family has all downloaded it, even though we're in BC and BC hasn't activated yet. A question has come up, though. If you state your province and someone from another province is near you or you go to another province, I'm assuming it will still work?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
9978 posts
664 upvotes
apnayloags wrote: I will not be traced by this app. Knowing our govt, who etc i only expect incompetence and nonserious bullshit
Nothing but an eyewash and feelgood measure. Mask wearing is enough
It is open source. Any kind of backdoor will easily be exposed.

And you are already being traced if you have a phone. I dont know why you would be concerned with your privacy if you already own a phone. It is the most unsecured tech we have today.
Sep 26, 2008
727 posts
168 upvotes
Ottawa
I probably won't be downloading it. I only enable Bluetooth occasionally when connecting to a device at home and don't plan on changing that.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4599 posts
180 upvotes
Austin/Markham
Definitely will enable it. These simple steps to stop a world war fight are a no brainer. Can always remove when the issue is resolved.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
[OP]
Jan 18, 2017
661 posts
241 upvotes
Jenny1975 wrote: I probably won't be downloading it. I only enable Bluetooth occasionally when connecting to a device at home and don't plan on changing that.
I tend to leave BT off but BLE takes very little power these days.
Jul 23, 2020
14 posts
8 upvotes
The news networks say the app does not need location data, Bluetooth only, yet...

Health Canada says:
Health Canada | Santé Canada July 31, 2020

"For Android users, location settings must be on for Bluetooth technology to work. However, no location information is stored or transmitted. Google/Apple built in safeguards to ensure government exposure notification apps are unable to infer your location by rotating random IDs assigned to your device so your individual device cannot be tracked."

I would not trust this. We've all heard about how secure apps and websites are only to hear of massive data breaches. They are lying to us.

Bluetooth does not need Location to be turned on.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
10859 posts
7096 upvotes
Edmonton
KevCnew wrote: https://github.com/cds-snc/covid-alert-app

It's open source so feel free to vet the code.
To be cynical, you're relying on the code in that repository to be the code that was compiled and released as the app. The only way to ensure that happens is to compile your own version of the code and deploy to your machine, which is likely beyond the skillset of many people.

Having said that, I've already installed the app on my phone (even though I'm in Alberta and won't see any benefits for who knows how long). If we were truly concerned about governments/big business/aliens tracking our movements and/or patterns, that ship sailed long ago, and the only way back is to get rid of all your personal electronics and stick to paying cash for everything.

C