• Jan 10th, 2022 8:20 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6539 posts
4317 upvotes
SW ON

Is COVID Alert app still relevant?

Is COVID Alert app still relevant? It seems forgotten. Does anyone know if the criteria in it are still the same, like 15 min exposure? That's useless for the delta which can infect in 1-2 min. Are people still given codes to enter into it? I haven't heard any mention of this app in the news or anywhere for the past many months. It's still updated though on Android.
16 replies
Nov 1, 2015
136 posts
205 upvotes
London, ON
According to the in-app alert, it was retired on June 30, 2021.
Canada COVID-19.jpg

ETA: My mistake, read again and you are talking about the separate COVID Alert app. I have nothing to contribute regarding that.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6539 posts
4317 upvotes
SW ON
Curiousah wrote: According to the in-app alert, it was retired on June 30, 2021.

ETA: My mistake, read again and you are talking about the separate COVID Alert app. I have nothing to contribute regarding that.
What was that Canada COVID-19 app? I've never heard of it.
Feb 26, 2005
225 posts
101 upvotes
London
Here's some data about how much it's being used:

https://data.ontario.ca/dataset/covid-alert-impact-data

According to this (https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadaCoronavi ... cases_149/),

*Positives Uploaded to app in last day/week/month/since launch: 5 / 21 / 87 / 24,109 (2.4% / 1.5% / 1.7% / 4.7% of all cases)
*App downloads in last day/week/month/since launch: 567 / 3,647 / 15,815 / 2,801,291 (50.2% / 50.7% / 52.3% / 42.3% Android share)

Seems like it's still being used.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6539 posts
4317 upvotes
SW ON
Planker wrote: Here's some data about how much it's being used:

https://data.ontario.ca/dataset/covid-alert-impact-data

According to this (https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadaCoronavi ... cases_149/),

*Positives Uploaded to app in last day/week/month/since launch: 5 / 21 / 87 / 24,109 (2.4% / 1.5% / 1.7% / 4.7% of all cases)
*App downloads in last day/week/month/since launch: 567 / 3,647 / 15,815 / 2,801,291 (50.2% / 50.7% / 52.3% / 42.3% Android share)

Seems like it's still being used.
It's been used but is it useful? Only in Ontario there were a minimum of 1000 cases in any given week in the past but only 21 cases entered into the app. It doesn't matter if many people download the app, it matter how many people enter their cases into it. Otherwise, it's just a piece of junk software.

Any indication if a 15 minute minimum contact time is still used by the app as a criterion for alert? It makes it double-useless in cases with delta.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6539 posts
4317 upvotes
SW ON
blueraindrop wrote: In Western Australia they launched a similar contact tracing app in November 2020.
Now, they found that the information collected was also used for other purposes than contact tracing, with 6 requests being made by the police.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/auditor-f ... -at-launch
Then it's not similar. The Canadian app can't be used like this. Read about how it works.
P.S. The Canadian app does not allow for tracing.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2021
1112 posts
1015 upvotes
blueraindrop wrote: In Western Australia they launched a similar contact tracing app in November 2020.
Now, they found that the information collected was also used for other purposes than contact tracing, with 6 requests being made by the police.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/auditor-f ... -at-launch
*shocked pikachu face*
TV: $0 via IP (slingbox) | Cell: $5 4GB*6 = 24GB
Internet: $10 fibre 30mbps up/down unlimited | Home phone: $0 via VoIP (freephoneline)

Telecos monthly cost: $16.45 after tax
Nov 1, 2015
136 posts
205 upvotes
London, ON
alpovs wrote: What was that Canada COVID-19 app? I've never heard of it.
I feel like an Amazon reviewer who didn't actually buy the product on this thread, sorry, but I barely opened this app...checked regional stats and theoretically it could have been used for national announcements?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6539 posts
4317 upvotes
SW ON
I think now we can say it's totally irrelevant. Right?
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2924 posts
988 upvotes
alpovs wrote: I think now we can say it's totally irrelevant. Right?
it never was relevant, like many things the Fed Gov't has done
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6539 posts
4317 upvotes
SW ON
redsfan wrote: it never was relevant, like many things the Fed Gov't has done
I disagree. It was relevant earlier depending on where you live and people living there.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2924 posts
988 upvotes
alpovs wrote: I disagree. It was relevant earlier depending on where you live and people living there.
always depended upon people inputting their info into the app did it not?...never made sense to me
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5370 posts
2860 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: I disagree. It was relevant earlier depending on where you live and people living there.
I revisted the link to data @Planker posted in #4 above.
It does show a surge of 900+ cases daily in December with >38K cases reported in total.
A drop in the bucket to overall cases.

It may not be an effective tool in controlling spread but the data may still be relavant to someone.
After receiving notification of exposure early on in the pandemic, I've been reluctant to uninstall it, just in case someone might do their part. People are still getting notifications.

OTOH, with the changes to the qualifications on who can get tested only a certain portion of the population can get tested. A positive test result is required to get a code to input into the app. This might explain why the notification numbers drop towards the end of December when case numbers are going up.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5218 posts
2827 upvotes
GTA
redsfan wrote: always depended upon people inputting their info into the app did it not?...never made sense to me
The issue with the app was that everything about it was voluntary.

It was never going to work well that way
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6539 posts
4317 upvotes
SW ON
ROYinTO wrote: OTOH, with the changes to the qualifications on who can get tested only a certain portion of the population can get tested. A positive test result is required to get a code to input into the app. This might explain why the notification numbers drop towards the end of December when case numbers are going up.
This! Only certain people can get tested now (in Ontario) and without the code those who get a positive rapid test for example can't enter it into the app even if they wanted to. People who can get the code are either in the hospital, long term care or somewhere else and unlikely mingled with the general population. Besides, the app condition is to be in contact for at least 15 minutes. I think it's common knowledge that omicron can be transmitted much faster. That's why I thought the app is completely irrelevant now.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5523 posts
5067 upvotes
Vancouver
It was never relevant to start with.

The Venn diagram of the 1) provinces that adopted it, 2) people who downloaded it, 3) gave the app permissions, and 4) agreed to use it was far too small.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6539 posts
4317 upvotes
SW ON
Spinner wrote: It was never relevant to start with.

The Venn diagram of the 1) provinces that adopted it, 2) people who downloaded it, 3) gave the app permissions, and 4) agreed to use it was far too small.
I know several people who were alerted by it. It's significance was really determined by the local area. People are different in different places. Day to day, people mostly meet local people. So, YMMV. But now no codes, no use. They could have changed it, so people could just enter their status without a code, it could have been still useful in certain places.