Careers

Covid - Can Employees Request Information from Company?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2022 6:20 am
[OP]
Aug 15, 2018
529 posts
257 upvotes

Covid - Can Employees Request Information from Company?

Hi everyone,

My company has implemented strict Covid prevention rules etc... they are doing a good job so far.

I am just wondering, are/should employees be allowed to ask transparency from their employer as to how many people tested positive at the office for instance? Like what the government is doing via public statistics.

Thanks
Last edited by mattnew on Jan 21st, 2022 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7669 posts
2100 upvotes
Toronto
sponge5307 wrote: I don't think so.
I agree with you. When one of then employee in the company that i am working told HR, he/she tested positive no name was released, HR just mentioned those who are in the office on that day, please have yourself tested and self-quarantine for X number of days.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2013
1316 posts
463 upvotes
Vancouver
cgtlky wrote: I agree with you. When one of then employee in the company that i am working told HR, he/she tested positive no name was released, HR just mentioned those who are in the office on that day, please have yourself tested and self-quarantine for X number of days.
We had the same thing although I know who got CoVID in my dept (trail and error and some people are pretty open IE I am sick getting tested" then next day HR sent an email saying someone got CoVID.
Feb 7, 2019
287 posts
197 upvotes
cgtlky wrote: I agree with you. When one of then employee in the company that i am working told HR, he/she tested positive no name was released, HR just mentioned those who are in the office on that day, please have yourself tested and self-quarantine for X number of days.
The HR at my workplace told it to their "favorite" employees.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
6842 posts
3364 upvotes
Debtario
As far as I know, there's no freedom of information rights when it comes to private employers.

My workplace covid cases are conveniently always low risk. Now with no testing available, cases are zero!
sushi604 wrote: The HR at my workplace told it to their "favorite" employees.
Sadly our HR is leaky as well, depends who you know. Senior people seem to know confidential medical info shared only with HR...
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
[OP]
Aug 15, 2018
529 posts
257 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote: My workplace covid cases are conveniently always low risk. Now with no testing available, cases are zero!
Same here. My company is doing a good job with implementing measures etc.. but not being transparent. There were a few cases in the office (some in my team) and we weren't informed. It begs the question how many cases were there really in this office. They track the number of cases but just won't communicate it.
Nov 28, 2020
131 posts
116 upvotes
It can be done through your Joint Health and Safety Committee lodging a formal "Right to Know" request for workplace hazards.
[OP]
Aug 15, 2018
529 posts
257 upvotes
ChesterCheetoh wrote: It can be done through your Joint Health and Safety Committee lodging a formal "Right to Know" request for workplace hazards.
OK but private companies have no obligation to respond or am I mistaken?
Nov 28, 2020
131 posts
116 upvotes
mattnew wrote: OK but private companies have no obligation to respond or am I mistaken?
Right. Because private companies don't have to follow their provincial occupational health and safety legislation. Only public sector has to do that.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2019
1146 posts
581 upvotes
Is there a way we can ask how many employees in my group or subgroup are doubled vaccinated?

There are strong support for Donald Trump in the group that shared same floor where I worked in, I am extremely concerned about the vaccination percentage. Is this considered a privacy?

We have clients' company that constantly update employees the percentage of employees who received double vaccination. I am wondering whether we can force our HR department to disclose this figure.
Enjoying my post without UPVOTE is a serious violation.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7669 posts
2100 upvotes
Toronto
ilovetoyota wrote: Is there a way we can ask how many employees in my group or subgroup are doubled vaccinated?

There are strong support for Donald Trump in the group that shared same floor where I worked in, I am extremely concerned about the vaccination percentage. Is this considered a privacy?

We have clients' company that constantly update employees the percentage of employees who received double vaccination. I am wondering whether we can force our HR department to disclose this figure.
I don't work in HR, I am just an employee. As far as our office is concern, not every employee goes to office, I am considering it unfair to myself as well as 3 other co-worker that goes to the office. I only know 4 of us are fully vaccinated the rest of the employee in my department I have no idea. I also have no idea regards to employees working in other departments.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)