• Jan 2nd, 2021 2:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12554 posts
7293 upvotes
Markham

COVID era hockey in Canada

I don't understand how they are playing IIHF world Junior hockey in Edmonton and yet the NHL is on the "wait and let us figure this out" to see if they can play hockey in Canada?

What am I missing? I know they're in a bubble but is that really the issue considering I can fly to Alberta right now and not have to quarantine.

If anything the NHL can assure governments when they travel they won't stop at McDonald's on the way to the hotel - right?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4935 posts
1261 upvotes
Abbottabad
Tournament is a few games vs NHL 56 games?

And 31 teams vs a few countries?

What are you not getting? Facepalm.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13025 posts
2300 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Did you miss what the NHL did for the 2020 playoffs? I would assume that the IIHF is doing pretty much the same.

And I'll have to admit that I thought it was going to be a gong show when the NHL started playing again, but have to credit them for keeping everything in check.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 16, 2011
7025 posts
433 upvotes
Nobody wants to play in a bubble anymore so for the NHL it will be tougher for them to navigate this year since it will be for the whole season. I do hope we get to see the all Canadian division which looks like it will happen with government approval.
Banned
Dec 3, 2020
74 posts
152 upvotes
I remember watching the World Juniors 15 years ago and it was so much more entertaining. Canada would come out every game and absolutely set the tone dominating physically. Rarely see a hit from Canada, or any team these days.