• Dec 16th, 2020 8:41 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2132 posts
771 upvotes

Covid takeout

Here’s a little tip to you restaurant owners doing take out. I say little because there’s no way more than a couple are this stupid to not have streamlined in 9 months.

When a customer orders and asks for it to be ready at say 5:30pm, don’t fill your lobby to capacity with customers that have orders that won’t be ready for 10 mins, making 5:30 customer wait in line outside that’s populated with people having orders all ready at different times. Not until someone inside has their order do they pay and leave so the lineup doesn’t move until the place has satisfied mr or mrs 5:45 because they happen to occupy the space inside.

Call people when their order is ready. They come in, pay and leave. Simple. Trying to help out small business but I just can’t reward that. Getting a pizza instead.
27 replies
Dec 1, 2020
421 posts
246 upvotes
Maybe order for 4pm pick up? Maybe problem is everyone wants a 530 pick up? I guess even customers need to make some accommodations?
I likely do not care.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2132 posts
771 upvotes
XmasTreelights wrote: Maybe order for 4pm pick up? Maybe problem is everyone wants a 530 pick up? I guess even customers need to make some accommodations?
Yep. Of course I’m wrong. Never mind.
Dec 1, 2020
421 posts
246 upvotes
benjicash wrote: Yep. Of course I’m wrong. Never mind.
Just trying to recognize that these business are under a little bit of pressure, no? Maybe a little flexibility? I mean, we are apparently in this together?
I likely do not care.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2132 posts
771 upvotes
XmasTreelights wrote: Just trying to recognize that these business are under a little bit of pressure, no? Maybe a little flexibility? I mean, we are apparently in this together?
They’ve had 9 months to figure out ‘we’ll call you when it’s ready, please leave the lobby free for those picking up’. I was trying to give them business but I’m not paying to eat cold food because they can’t figure out how to manage pick ups. They weren’t all for 5:30. Some had just called. Some were 5:45. One was at 6. These are people waiting in line that can’t get in either because the people inside are waiting for orders that aren’t ready while you can see about dozen orders on the counter getting cold cause the people they belong to can’t get them.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5851 posts
1630 upvotes
Mississauga
benjicash wrote: They’ve had 9 months to figure out ‘we’ll call you when it’s ready, please leave the lobby free for those picking up’. I was trying to give them business but I’m not paying to eat cold food because they can’t figure out how to manage pick ups. They weren’t all for 5:30. Some had just called. Some were 5:45. One was at 6. These are people waiting in line that can’t get in either because the people inside are waiting for orders that aren’t ready while you can see about dozen orders on the counter getting cold cause the people they belong to can’t get them.
this is how congee queen operates...

which restaurant are you talking about?
Dec 1, 2020
421 posts
246 upvotes
benjicash wrote: They’ve had 9 months to figure out ‘we’ll call you when it’s ready, please leave the lobby free for those picking up’. I was trying to give them business but I’m not paying to eat cold food because they can’t figure out how to manage pick ups. They weren’t all for 5:30. Some had just called. Some were 5:45. One was at 6. These are people waiting in line that can’t get in either because the people inside are waiting for orders that aren’t ready while you can see about dozen orders on the counter getting cold cause the people they belong to can’t get them.
I'll continue to grant a lot of flexibility to restaurants, especially those in Toronto that have had a very hard ride. I'll also continue to look for the good and accommodate and roll with the inconvenience.

I'd say it is a little unfair to suggest they have had 9 months. Maybe a few months totally closed, all staff laid off, then open, try to re hire people, then lay more off as outside only, then let go more people when only take out only. Then buy up supplies and throw out supplies several times.

Couple this with this seeing the hypocrisy of your fellow restaurants in highway 7, fully open etc. I'd say restaurants are trying their best.
I likely do not care.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2132 posts
771 upvotes
XmasTreelights wrote: I'll continue to grant a lot of flexibility to restaurants, especially those in Toronto that have had a very hard ride. I'll also continue to look for the good and accommodate and roll with the inconvenience.

I'd say it is a little unfair to suggest they have had 9 months. Maybe a few months totally closed, all staff laid off, then open, try to re hire people, then lay more off as outside only, then let go more people when only take out only. Then buy up supplies and throw out supplies several times.

Couple this with this seeing the hypocrisy of your fellow restaurants in highway 7, fully open etc. I'd say restaurants are trying their best.
It’s a Chinese food restaurant in Orangeville. I gave them half an hour of accommodation. So ya, they’ve had nine months.

Anyway agree or disagree, the tip wasn’t for customers. I’ve ordered from quite a few places in peel and didn’t have this problem.
Last edited by benjicash on Dec 12th, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 1, 2020
421 posts
246 upvotes
benjicash wrote: It’s a Chinese food restaurant in Orangeville. I gave them half an hour of accommodation. So ya, they’ve had nine months.

Anyway agree or disagree, the tip wasn’t for customers.
I'm pretty sure restaurants are a little stretched thin to be looking for advice on redflagdeals...no?
I likely do not care.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2132 posts
771 upvotes
XmasTreelights wrote: I'm pretty sure restaurants are a little stretched thin to be looking for advice on redflagdeals...no?
Pretty sure you’ll find a few restaurant owners here. And small business owners. Anyone doing curb side would benefit from learning ‘we’ll call you when your order is ready so you can come in and pick it up. Please leave the lobby free for pickups’. It makes sense and is free and simple to put into action.
Dec 1, 2020
421 posts
246 upvotes
benjicash wrote: Pretty sure you’ll find a few restaurant owners here. And small business owners. Anyone doing curb side would benefit from learning ‘we’ll call you when your order is ready so you can come in and pick it up. Please leave the lobby free for pickups’. It makes sense and isfree and simple to put into action.
I'm not sure they are as influenced as much as you think they are with a post here.

I wish we could rely on your fellow customers for being so courteous and responding to such instructions from the restaurant.

I'm also sure they do not have money to hire a person to make the calls you advise. They probably are operating with way less staff and way busier then normal.

Maybe people in Orangivelle are more inclined to listen to reasonable instructions. i know in Toronto, you could have a massive sign saying do not do x and youd see 10 people trying to justify why it was ok for them to do x

Unfortunately, the more I experience the bad, I realize we have never actually been in this together. I wish people were in this together. but we never have been.
I likely do not care.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2132 posts
771 upvotes
XmasTreelights wrote: I'm not sure they are as influenced as much as you think they are with a post here.

I wish we could rely on your fellow customers for being so courteous and responding to such instructions from the restaurant.

I'm also sure they do not have money to hire a person to make the calls you advise. They probably are operating with way less staff and way busier then normal.

Maybe people in Orangivelle are more inclined to listen to reasonable instructions. i know in Toronto, you could have a massive sign saying do not do x and youd see 10 people trying to justify why it was ok for them to do x

Unfortunately, the more I experience the bad, I realize we have never actually been in this together. I wish people were in this together. but we never have been.
Less staff and busier. Hmmm. You mean like Bell or Rogers and their higher than normal call volume? That’s always like that so it’s actually normal.

Anyway they have two people working the phones and taking payment. You can watch the whole operation while you wait in line and watch your order get cold. So, sorry I disagree.

I agree with the rest of what you said though. It’s why we’re in this mess to begin with.
Dec 1, 2020
421 posts
246 upvotes
benjicash wrote: Less staff and busier. Hmmm. You mean like Bell or Rogers and their higher than normal call volume? That’s always like that so it’s actually normal.

Anyway they have two people working the phones and taking payment. You can watch the whole operation while you wait in line and watch your order get cold. So, sorry I disagree.

I agree with the rest of what you said though. It’s why we’re in this mess to begin with.
I'm glad they are busy enough for this to be a problem. Downtown toronto is not so lucky.

(Added) I ordered take out from union chicken in union station on wed last week. I was the only order they prepped when I placed my order in person until it was ready, 15 minutes later. That was at prime dinner time. :-(
I likely do not care.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2132 posts
771 upvotes
XmasTreelights wrote: I'm glad they are busy enough for this to be a problem. Downtown toronto is not so lucky.

(Added) I ordered take out from union chicken in union station on wed last week. I was the only order they prepped when I placed my order in person until it was ready, 15 minutes later. That was at prime dinner time. :-(
Absolutely terrible.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4321 upvotes
benjicash wrote: Absolutely terrible.
Let's give them some credit for actually cooking to order. Not like going to Popeyes for a sandwich and they have about 50 of them sitting under the heat lamps, made who knows how long ago...
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4321 upvotes
benjicash wrote: Pretty sure you’ll find a few restaurant owners here. And small business owners. Anyone doing curb side would benefit from learning ‘we’ll call you when your order is ready so you can come in and pick it up. Please leave the lobby free for pickups’. It makes sense and is free and simple to put into action.
I don't know if you're in the east end but I'm sure you'd agree Mark's Pizzas in West Hill has the right idea. When you place an order you select your pickup time. He has the bookings set up in 15 minute intervals and he usually can make up to 4 pizzas per order.

First time I went it was flawless. Arrived at my pickup time ... and when I got there he was taking my 2 pizzas out of the oven. That's how you run a takeout operation.

https://www.markspizzas.com/
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8655 posts
2576 upvotes
Mississauga
Don't be a Karen.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1291 posts
1294 upvotes
We ran into this exact problem you are talking about and had to solve it immediately. We are primarily takeout and had to solve the issue of walk in customer crowding our lobby and prevent those that called in to not be able to get their food and have it get cold. Once Covid hit the number of people who called in an order for pickup skyrocketed to about 50x the normal volume. A normal day for us would be to have 60-80 phone in orders for pickup alone for dinner rush. Our procedure is simple. When an order is called in for pickup or if a customer walks in off the street to place an order they pay for it right then and there and they are asked to wait outside in their car and a staff member will bring it to them when their order is ready. Our lobby is pretty much always empty because of this.

We also ask that people who order over the phone pay for the order over the phone right then and there to streamline the process and minimize wait times. Quick and painless. The first few days when the call in orders starting pouring in when we entered lockdown was chaos. It took us 2 days to sort and figure it out back in March.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2132 posts
771 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Let's give them some credit for actually cooking to order. Not like going to Popeyes for a sandwich and they have about 50 of them sitting under the heat lamps, made who knows how long ago...
Oh my ‘absolutely terrible’ comment was regarding how sad it is that they had just one order.