• Sep 1st, 2021 6:19 pm
[OP]
Dec 1, 2013
443 posts
181 upvotes

Covid testing for travel to US - 72hrs vs 3 calendar days

Hi guys,

I’m not 100% sure I have this right.

Do the current CDC rules that state the Covid test must be done within 3 calendar days preceding flight mean you have a little more time than 72hrs?

Say a 12pm flight on a Sunday. Do you have to test after 12pm on Thursday or does that mean you can do it anytime on Thursday?
2 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2004
2978 posts
90 upvotes
British Columbia
Alex1114 wrote: Hi guys,

I’m not 100% sure I have this right.

Do the current CDC rules that state the Covid test must be done within 3 calendar days preceding flight mean you have a little more time than 72hrs?

Say a 12pm flight on a Sunday. Do you have to test after 12pm on Thursday or does that mean you can do it anytime on Thursday?
When travelling to the USA, they allow for 3 calendar days, so you get more than 72 hours in some instances. In your scenario, as long as you get it done any time on Thursday, you should be good to go.

See link here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... elers.html

"Why does the Order specify 3 days rather than 72 hours? What is considered 3 days?
The 3-day period is the 3 days before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 3-day timeframe instead of 72 hours to provide more flexibility to the traveler. By using a 3-day window, test validity does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test was administered.

For example, if a passenger’s flight is at 1pm on a Friday, the passenger could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Tuesday or after."

I believe when returning to Canada, they enforce the 72 hours (not 3 days). Time of testing would matter in this instance. Hope this helps.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2013
443 posts
181 upvotes
StarStrike wrote: When travelling to the USA, they allow for 3 calendar days, so you get more than 72 hours in some instances. In your scenario, as long as you get it done any time on Thursday, you should be good to go.
Ok ya that makes sense, thank you! Person With Folded Hands