COVID wave 2 and COVID shopping hell returning this fall

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2020 12:58 am
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes

COVID wave 2 and COVID shopping hell returning this fall

Trudeau was just on tv saying the second wave of COVID has begun. We all need to wear masks to prevent another full lockdown.

Shopping is going to get rough again. There will be food. There will be toilet paper. It's going to be harder to get your hands on fancy and discretionary stuff, according to this article. That's things like "upscale stationary bicycles to patio heaters," and "fireplace inserts and billowy harem trousers," according to experts. If you need stuff you don't need, stock up now. It's about to get scarce.

The food industry has braced itself and is prepared and the toilet paper people are totally on it.

Experts say second wave will bring empty shelves, but not because of panic buying
ctvnews.ca/business/experts-say-second-wave-will-bring-empty-shelves-but-not-because-of-panic-buying-1.5115495
62 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2005
2521 posts
1658 upvotes
Ottawa
Lol. My bedroom closet is full of important stuff I don't need anymore. I stocked up on frozen food back in March because I was concerned that we could get a Chinese-style lockdown. I don't see that happening regardless.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12573 upvotes
Markham
Bunyak wrote: Lol. My bedroom closet is full of important stuff I don't need anymore. I stocked up on frozen food back in March because I was concerned that we could get a Chinese-style lockdown. I don't see that happening regardless.
It will be more targeted and tailored measurements for wave 2

And if we were fine in wave 1, I don't see why we have any issues for wave 2
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
Bunyak wrote: Lol. My bedroom closet is full of important stuff I don't need anymore. I stocked up on frozen food back in March because I was concerned that we could get a Chinese-style lockdown. I don't see that happening regardless.
The frozen is not in your closet, is it? lol.

I bought a lot for the freezer and we barely made a dent in it because we are eating less because we are inside more and less active. We really needed to stock up on salad instead but I know that now.

I bought a lot of clothes and shoes on clearance the last few months because the prices were exceptional and I only bought classic pieces and brands with familiar fit. A lot of it is still in plastic bags because I don't need it atm. I am hedging my bets.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13285 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
OH WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9926 posts
7089 upvotes
Mississauga
Was at my local Loblaw's this evening and the paper towel shelves were bare. Yet they were overflowing with toilet paper. I don't understand...
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
Bounty comes from the US and that's people's favourite? We make Tiger Towel and Spongetowel here. Charmin, Cottonelle are all US-made. There isn't a comparable toilet paper that is as thick that is made in Canada. If you like thick tp, I think you want to round some up now.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27804 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
mrweather wrote: Was at my local Loblaw's this evening and the paper towel shelves were bare. Yet they were overflowing with toilet paper. I don't understand...
Saw this on CTV News today

They say the shortage is caused by two things ...

People cleaning more during Covid
And
When wipes are hard to find, folks use PT and a spray cleaner in their place

Makes sense

I have about 30 rolls on hand
But guess I should try to find another pkg or 2 just to be on the safe side
(Sides we’ve been known to share goodies from our Pantry with other friends & family members at times if we happen to have something that others need / cannot find. In the Spring that was Lysol / Clorox Wipes)
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13285 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
What's next? Tissue paper?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
There will be a continued run on pajamas, sweatpants, knits.

Everything else in the fashion industry will be on clearance. They are never going to unload some stuff because people refuse to dress in penguin suits after enjoying 8 months of COVID home confinement and Zoom sessions while wearing no pajama bottoms. People will not go back.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9312 upvotes
A face palm setting for those hoarding unnecessarily. What's next? Hand sanitizers? Lysol wipes? Disinfectant spray?
Blanka
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
djemzine wrote: A face palm setting for those hoarding unnecessarily. What's next? Hand sanitizers? Lysol wipes? Disinfectant spray?
No, duh, everybody's got piles of that stuff.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
lecale wrote: The frozen is not in your closet, is it? lol.

I bought a lot for the freezer and we barely made a dent in it because we are eating less because we are inside more and less active. We really needed to stock up on salad instead but I know that now.
May I recommend Metamucil
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
konfusion666 wrote: May I recommend Metamucil
Salad kits. I would not get through COVID without them.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Saw this on CTV News today

They say the shortage is caused by two things ...

People cleaning more during Covid
And
When wipes are hard to find, folks use PT and a spray cleaner in their place

Makes sense

I have about 30 rolls on hand
But guess I should try to find another pkg or 2 just to be on the safe side
(Sides we’ve been known to share goodies from our Pantry with other friends & family members at times if we happen to have something that others need / cannot find. In the Spring that was Lysol / Clorox Wipes)
I guess that's it for the wipes? They never came back in stock because the material they make them out of was diverted to make PPE (plus there were chemical shortages briefly but the fabric issue never resolved).

Thus the continued rush on paper towel.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9312 upvotes
lecale wrote: No, duh, everybody's got piles of that stuff.
Sarcasm on my part lol.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
3686 posts
4751 upvotes
B.C.
lecale wrote:
Experts say second wave will bring empty shelves, but not because of panic buying
and this is how panic buying starts
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4615 posts
3080 upvotes
Dreamrider wrote: and this is how panic buying starts
Saw a person buy over 10 bags of rice at Walmart. Panic buying is already in motion.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)