Shopping Discussion

Covid19 surcharge? Yes or No?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 25th, 2020 7:30 pm

Poll: Do you support Covid19 fee?

• Total votes: 361. You have voted on this poll.
Yes,

14%
No, that is ridiculous.

86%
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
8189 posts
47272 upvotes
Ontario

Covid19 surcharge? Yes or No?

Heard many new stories that some businesses will charge up to 10% Covid19 fee.

Do you support them or is this just another way to earn more money?

Some owners claimed that they need to spend more money on masks. They cannot find $0.50/masks so they need to pay $2/mask.((wtf)
Hand sanitizers/cleaning supplies price doubled so they need to charge their customers 5%-10% fee.

Will they gain customers or lose customers by charging this kind of covid19 fee?
If you went to a restaurant and saw this charge on your bill, will you still pay tips?

During this pandemic, some restaurants even charge take out fees, $1 fee for adding ice, give a smaller portions compared to before etc

Everyone is suffering and not just business owners. Shouldn't they be grateful that we spend money at their place instead of others?
What do you think?
123 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7609 posts
3860 upvotes
Alberta
It's total B.S. If they charge the added covid fee, no way I will be going back there. Maybe they should as Trudeau for another 10%. They'll almost guaranteed to get it if they whine hard enough.
Penalty Box
Nov 10, 2018
3159 posts
3443 upvotes
They can charge what they want but the way I see it is that it's a tax of sorts and like taxes it just keeps me even more away from their stores.

It's so collasally stupid the owners don't even know all they are harming is themselves

Add a tip jar for Covid. It's a much better idea
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
1871 posts
714 upvotes
Montreal, QC
i buy most of my stuff online which shouldn't have a surcharge per se. i don't mind if there's a slight surcharge but i'll be more mindful in what i buy. things already went up a buck or two anyway
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
13118 posts
10352 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Personally, I get it
These are TOUGH TIMES all around cuz of Covid

Esp so for any small biz owners

So personally, I don’t have a problem if a place is up front about stuff costing them more
Tack on a Covid Fee
Just don’t surprise me with it
Hang up a sign

Covid Fee = $ X to be added to your bill ... Before Taxes

At least then I know what’s up

The $ 29.99 haircut is still $ 29.99 ... and will be $ 29.99 for the foreseeable future
It’s just now in the short term ... with everyone physical distancing, wearing PPE, and sanitizing like crazy
There will be $ X added to my bill to pay for all that necessary inconvenience
(Remember all these changes are MANDATED BY PUBLIC HEALTH ... not like a biz can skip out on them )

Soon as the coast is clear though
We go back to $ 29.99 ... a full salon, and how things were BC (Before Covid)

My worry is ...
No Clear Cut Covid Fee posted ... just that a haircut is $ 39.99
And well, we’ll never go back to seeing $ 29.99
Cuz the world will just accept this all as the new normal

If we are going to fight Covid together
Then we also need to fight any possibility of gouging or inflation together as well

* Note should operate the same way as a Fuel Surcharge does.
And yes, I expect it ... as Covid has impacted the way many / ALL bizs are going to operate
Plane holds 33% fewer pax ... I expect there’s a cost to that
Not gonna like that added cost ... but will appreciate we aren’t all slammed in like sardines
Air ticket or haircut ... reality is the same ... neither are ESSENTIALS ... I can choose to buy or travel
I assume many will choose not to
Same with Restaurants ... like we’ve already seen with take out. Many choose not to
Those that do ... May very well have to pay a premium cuz of the cost of doing biz / providing that service
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14143 posts
14749 upvotes
Oakville
sumtimw0ng wrote: i buy most of my stuff online which shouldn't have a surcharge per se. i don't mind if there's a slight surcharge but i'll be more mindful in what i buy. things already went up a buck or two anyway
Online stuff is just marked up. Look at Amazon, lots of stuff is much more expensive and you don't even get Prime shipping even though you've paid for it.

Personally adding a COVID19 fee is dumb. They should just increase they their prices as their costs have risen and their sales are down.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4685 posts
308 upvotes
GTA
Wait until the Fiberals implement their COVID surcharge next year..
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
33555 posts
3652 upvotes
Winnipeg
ferkel wrote: Wait until the Fiberals implement their COVID surcharge next year..
extra 5% gst and extra 5% income tax as covid surcharge?
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
13118 posts
10352 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
divx wrote: extra 5% gst and extra 5% income tax as covid surcharge?
GST increase will never be 5% = 10% new rate
Public would never stand for that

Gonna go up a percent or two ... 3 at worst case scenario
Even that (8% ) I think won’t fly
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
1054 posts
2216 upvotes
Happy to pay a surcharge to support the small businesses I frequent. It's either that or they can put up their prices permanently. A lot of small businesses won't survive this and all we will be left with are companies likes pizza pizza and Walmart. So if you ever like eating out in nice places or getting your hair cut in the corner hairdresser, I wouldn't grumble too much about an extra % for a year to help them cover their costs. Fortunately this hasn't affected our business cost wise so we be adding it.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1331 posts
980 upvotes
British Columbia
While many are strapped for cash these days I understand not liking it but accepting it is just reality.

Not only due to cleaning supplies and masks (if places can even find them!), but less customers in stores at a time or per day, potentially more staff in order to correctly sanitize etc., price hikes from the suppliers of their products due to various factors... It is a cascading effect and it's either pass on the costs or close shop for many businesses.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2046 posts
1645 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Karala wrote: While many are strapped for cash these days I understand not liking it but accepting it is just reality.

Not only due to cleaning supplies and masks (if places can even find them!), but less customers in stores at a time or per day, potentially more staff in order to correctly sanitize etc., price hikes from the suppliers of their products due to various factors... It is a cascading effect and it's either pass on the costs or close shop for many businesses.
The issue is that with every price increase you lose customers. If business passes to much of the cost onto consumers they'll shut down, especially smaller businesses. Business owners cannot charge customers more to keep their profits the same, losses will have to happen.
I like credit unions and Honda Civics.
Member with DUCA Credit Union.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1331 posts
980 upvotes
British Columbia
jacnel wrote: The issue is that with every price increase you lose customers. If business passes to much of the cost onto consumers they'll shut down, especially smaller businesses. Business owners cannot charge customers more to keep their profits the same, losses will have to happen.
They may not need to close if customers accept this is reality. I doubt a surcharge is going to make up for their losses, but maybe help to meet them half way to keeping them afloat.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2046 posts
1645 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Karala wrote: They may not need to close if customers accept this is reality. I doubt a surcharge is going to make up for their losses, but maybe help to meet them half way to keeping them afloat.
With smaller business I'm more willing to meet halfway but at the end of the day business is business and not all have to survive.
I like credit unions and Honda Civics.
Member with DUCA Credit Union.
Aug 27, 2010
467 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
They should give us a %10 discount for being a customer.