Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42481 posts
6786 upvotes

Coworker/Friend's not so good practice with used car buying

So I have a coworker/friend at work, and I must say, his practices of buying a used car, makes me question his decision process.

I'll give an example. Two months ago, they were looking to buy a used car for his wife, as they were moving to Burlington, and she needed a car. They looked at some cars via a private sale, and a used car dealership. I told him to do his due diligence, such as:

1)research on the make/model, to see if there's any known problems/recalls/tsbs
2) find a good price, cross shop
3) Get it inspected by a mechanic that he knows, or one that I had recommended - iGarage

Lo and behold, he didn't end up doing that, and plunged on a Honda Accord from a used car dealership, which I have never heard of, nor could find any reviews. It could be a) he listed to his wife or b) was in a rush. I told him not to rush into things such as this, as buying a car is something not done in a day's time, especially a used car. If he had done prior research, etc, then maybe sure.

Any how, fast forward to today. He's now looking to buy a used car for his brother in law/father in law, as they are moving to London from North York. So they would need something, and again I gave him the same advice, and told him to take it with a grain of salt. He told me he's looking to buy something within a day or two.

There is only so much I can do haha. Ugh... *face palm*. You try to help someone you know, and they don't take advice. I told him, he's better buying a used car from an actual manufacturer dealership vs the average Joe used car dealership.

Has anyone else ever run into the same scenario?

/end rant
Blanka
13 replies
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4752 posts
5878 upvotes
Toronto, ON
djemzine wrote: So I have a coworker/friend at work, and I must say, his practices of buying a used car, makes me question his decision process.

I'll give an example. Two months ago, they were looking to buy a used car for his wife, as they were moving to Burlington, and she needed a car. They looked at some cars via a private sale, and a used car dealership. I told him to do his due diligence, such as:

1)research on the make/model, to see if there's any known problems/recalls/tsbs
2) find a good price, cross shop
3) Get it inspected by a mechanic that he knows, or one that I had recommended - iGarage

Lo and behold, he didn't end up doing that, and plunged on a Honda Accord from a used car dealership, which I have never heard of, nor could find any reviews. It could be a) he listed to his wife or b) was in a rush. I told him not to rush into things such as this, as buying a car is something not done in a day's time, especially a used car. If he had done prior research, etc, then maybe sure.

Any how, fast forward to today. He's know looking to buy a used car for his brother in law/father in law, as they are moving to London from North York. So they would need something, and again I gave him the same advice, and told him to take it with a grain of salt. He told me he's looking to buy something within a day or two.

There is only so much I can do haha. Ugh... *face palm*. You try to help someone you know, and they don't take advice. I told him, he's better buying a used car from an actual manufacturer dealership vs the average Joe used car dealership.

Has anyone else ever run into the same scenario?

/end rant
So did he end up having any problems with the Accord?

Some people just get lucky. There are plenty of salvage title cars on the road and the owners may not even know that because they think they got a steal at some used car lot.

They won't learn until they get screwed. Why so serious?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42481 posts
6786 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: So did he end up having any problems with the Accord?

Some people just get lucky. There are plenty of salvage title cars on the road and the owners may not even know that because they think they got a steal at some used car lot.

They won't learn until they get screwed. Why so serious?
They bought the extended warranty from the used car dealership which is for 1 year or something. It had high mileage for sure, but less than 200K or something like that, and ironically yes they ran into issues aftwerwards.

Lol not being serious here, just stating a fact that when one is trying to help someone, they don't heed the advice.
Blanka
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29197 posts
14959 upvotes
Toronto
it's okay. He heard you but he is the one has to decide what to do. :)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21676 upvotes
Center of Universe
There's asking for advice and taking advice...
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9876 posts
9564 upvotes
Markham
He will learn when he buys a used car and finds out 2 weeks later the tranny is gone and there is more sludge in the engine than the tar sands.

Then he will heed your advise. Your buddy has to lose money first. It's unfortunate but that's how dumb people learn.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11861 posts
2290 upvotes
Toronto
No. Alot of people I know have bought new. I guess people either go for new, or are at the other extreme at going to those shady looking car dealers run out of a trailer. There must be a reason why so many exist. Also, with a car, I find that people's perspective are so different depending on their background. Their assessment of risk, safety, mechanical understanding, initiative to learn, expectations, trust, and philosophy behind what it means to own a car.

Often, I find there is very little that can be done to sway people's core principles on it. I for one have the philosophy of used cars. But I would do much more research behind the history of the car as well as mechanical shape.
May 5, 2009
616 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
Had the same thing with someone I know. Asked me for advice and I even offered to gohelp him look at car. He ended up going with some other guy he trusted and ended up with a car throwing oxygen sensor, thermostat and misfiring codes lol. Not to mention the burning of 1 quart of oil per tank of gas. Even listened to his friend on switching to synthetic LOL.

He paid 6500 plus taxes and fees from the same type of shady dealership and ended up paying 8700 out the door smh. Got hosed big time lol.
He ended up replacing brakes and rotors at community college to fix a noise he thought the brakes were causing lol. Noise persisted.

Dropped off his car at mechanic and said just look over it and see what's wrong, suspension bushings, wheel bearing replaced incorrectly with more clanking than before. Brought it back to *fix* new problem created.

Keeps asking me he same question about his oil burning and getting me to pull his error codes but now I just say I'm busy since it's became a bi weekly thing. Haven't talked to him in 10 months luckily. Don't need time wasters when I have 2 kids
Oct 26, 2009
27 posts
23 upvotes
Hamilton
People like that keep the used car industry happy.

It's his dime and his time. Why do you care? You did your part.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33722 posts
7364 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink

I wouldn't give him any more advice, he is obviously not interested in hearing it
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35122 posts
4309 upvotes
Winnipeg
people who don't know cars should just buy new at dealership, like people who don't know computers shouldn't be building one themselves, but this is rfd, seems people kept giving others advice as if everyone is capable or interested in stick handling it themselves.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45446 posts
8454 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
This is how used car dealerships stay alive

In reality... those accident cars aren't that bad... They're drive able, just with bad re-sale value. Salvage/totaled is a different story.
But even a minor bump @ 20 kmph can cause $10k in damage.

imagine someone changing lanes during rush hour without checking their blind spot. They get the entire side dented/scrapped from back to front. This can happen at 30kmph with no frame damage... This will probably cost $10k to fix depending on how bad it is.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21190 posts
10651 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
UrbanPoet wrote: This is how used car dealerships stay alive

In reality... those accident cars aren't that bad... They're drive able, just with bad re-sale value. Salvage/totaled is a different story.
But even a minor bump @ 20 kmph can cause $10k in damage.

imagine someone changing lanes during rush hour without checking their blind spot. They get the entire side dented/scrapped from back to front. This can happen at 30kmph with no frame damage... This will probably cost $10k to fix depending on how bad it is.
Some stupid ass Arab woman in a POS civic did this to me last week. Had to swerve onto the shoulder to avoid her. She got a good 20-25 seconds of horn.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5474 posts
2998 upvotes
Toronto
Have same problem with my friend whom I offer to go with him to buy his current/future POS everytime but he always end up buying it cuz he said he is busy. The used cars however always becomes crap after a year later and I ofcourse laugh at him everytime.

Why do they do this? I think because of pride. He knows I am a car nut and he needs to somehow prove he is fine without my help.