CPA Robotic process automatic certificate

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2021 7:38 pm
Oct 16, 2012
81 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario

CPA Robotic process automatic certificate

As a CPA, is a robotic process automatic certificate useful? Or should I go for something else like data analysis? I only have some basic data analysis knowledge and any recommendation will be helpful.
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3536 upvotes
Yes and No

Yes if work will pay for it since it counts towards PD.

No - typical CPA cash grabbers! If you are well self-disciplined, you can teach yourself RPA things and be able to pick and choose what is relevant to your position, industry and specialty.

RPA has been a bit buzz-wordy lately but only works if your company fully supports it, has systems in place or planning to incorporate it. Microsoft Office 365 has a ton of stuff built in, especially with Flow and PowerApps. Big trend is No Code/Low Code development, to empower people like CPAs to built apps and automation to their work.
Oct 16, 2012
81 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
Thanks for your input, bhrm.

Yes, my company will pay for it, however, there is a limit (I am trying to find some courses within that limit). I agree I probably can do the RPA on my own with some free online courses.

How about Google Data Analytics Professional Certificate? Or the one from IBM? I have been searching for those courses (No code/Low code development) but do not have much luck yet.

Or should I get something else?
May 29, 2017
635 posts
553 upvotes
dariopotra wrote: As a CPA, is a robotic process automatic certificate useful? Or should I go for something else like data analysis? I only have some basic data analysis knowledge and any recommendation will be helpful.

What exactly are you learning with a robotic process automatic certificate?

Are you going to learn Ladder logic?
PLC programming?
Arduino programming?
Siemens / Allen Bradley ?
Pneumatics / motors?
Networking?

not to tarnish its relevance im just having a hard time finding info on it, but if they teach these concepts, then power to you and go learn it. Great topics and fun to learn.
Oct 16, 2012
81 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
Hi Cnsr0033, good questions. I cannot find much info about it. The only thing I found is:

Topics include:
understanding Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
building an RPA business case
implementing RPA applications
governance, risks and controls for RPA
organizational process implications of RPA
automation beyond RPA

Really not telling me anything.
May 24, 2007
553 posts
213 upvotes
Agree with Bhrm - a lot of these courses are taught by non-experts - people who claim to understands the "business" side of these technical topics but in reality, understands neither the business side nor the technical side.

Just go on Coursera and learn the technical side and deep dive as much as you like - and see if you can apply a small piece of what you learned in your job.
Oct 16, 2012
81 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
Hi Jokkon,

I totally agree. Thanks for your advice. I will definitely go on Coursera and see what I can find.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6834 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
Cnsr0033 wrote: What exactly are you learning with a robotic process automatic certificate?

Are you going to learn Ladder logic?
PLC programming?
Arduino programming?
Siemens / Allen Bradley ?
Pneumatics / motors?
Networking?
The domain of RPA has nothing to do with any of the physical "robotics" and industrial automation you are talking about. RPA is about the automation of business/logical/data processing within a company's backoffice operations.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Oct 16, 2012
81 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
Hi Cnsr0033, thanks for your clarification. So is it worth to take it?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3536 upvotes
dariopotra wrote: Hi Cnsr0033, thanks for your clarification. So is it worth to take it?
If someone else is paying for it, why not!
May 29, 2017
635 posts
553 upvotes
dariopotra wrote: Hi Cnsr0033, thanks for your clarification. So is it worth to take it?
I guess it depends on what side of the field you're on. From a technologist view, I would be more interested in learning practical concepts that can be transferred but if you're on the administration side. They are also valuable as well. (governance, business etc etc )
Oct 10, 2010
563 posts
443 upvotes
I hold RPA certification but have a coding background. For a CPA, in my opinion, you are better off getting Lean Six Sigma Green Belt - this way you will manage coders (including fire/hire) and earn more. Agile courses help too!
Oct 16, 2012
81 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
Thanks Cnsr0033 & nik707. I am more on the audit side. Are both programs (RPA & Lean Six Sigma) applicable to that?
May 24, 2007
553 posts
213 upvotes
If you are interested in RPA in the area of audit - maybe considering becoming a member (get work to pay for it) and check out their journal articles:

https://www.isaca.org/resources/news-an ... -processes
https://www.isaca.org/resources/news-an ... automation
https://www.isaca.org/resources/isaca-j ... automation

If a career in audit is what you are dead set on and IT (auditing RPA processes at a company) is an area you want to get into - I'd recommend sitting for the CISA exam and see if your firm has a risk advisory arm. Get transferred over there - get your CISA and then think about where you want to go next.
Oct 16, 2012
81 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
Thank you Jokkon. Thanks for your advice. Will definitely look into it.