Careers

"CPA Student"or "CFA Student" for general finance jobs in operations etc.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2018 3:23 pm
Jan 29, 2018
20 posts
5 upvotes

"CPA Student"or "CFA Student" for general finance jobs in operations etc.

OK, so I'm NEVER going to be an accountant but not having the "CPA Student"on my resume any longer has hurt my chances to get a foot in the door it seems. Would signing up for the CFA program enable me to score junior analyst or reporting roles, or operations or whatever?

I have a MSc in finance and I still think the field is quite interesting though my long-term goal would be to do BI (pertaining to finance probably) for the Gov't.

If I sign up I would prob finish all three levels eventually because of the interesting curriculum even though I might not go down that career path.
10 replies
Jul 23, 2008
48 posts
26 upvotes
How much experience do you have? Is this a first job?
Dec 5, 2010
128 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
You have a Masters and you have trouble getting any interest?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
For non banking finance roles, a CPA destination is preferred.
Unfortunately, in this saturated field; your masters doesn't give you any advantages.
Jan 29, 2018
20 posts
5 upvotes
cowvun wrote: You have a Masters and you have trouble getting any interest?
I've worked in banks and resorted to taking an accounting job when i first got here. I hate accounting though. It would be nice if I didn't have to sit through two years worth of tests plus accounting experience to get a non-accounting job in industry.

Currently I sort of rebooted and work for the government. There's a lot of downtime between contracts though so I've been thinking of being productive instead of taking classes.

If I'm barred from industry I guess I have to stick with banking and government work and see which one sticks.
Dec 14, 2009
229 posts
116 upvotes
Markham
Having "CFA Student" or "CFA level 1 candidate" will not help you considering you already have a masters.
Feb 13, 2017
369 posts
350 upvotes
toronto, ontario
mebbemovingtovan wrote: OK, so I'm NEVER going to be an accountant but not having the "CPA Student"on my resume any longer has hurt my chances to get a foot in the door it seems.
You wrote in an earlier posting "I'm a US CMA". Is this correct?
Jan 29, 2018
20 posts
5 upvotes
PhotoSmurf wrote: You wrote in an earlier posting "I'm a US CMA". Is this correct?
Correct. Well, I HAVE an US CMA would be more corrects.
I enjoy finance and FP&A but not accounting as in ensuring that historical data is collected, recorded and reported correctly. I want to work as close to "production" as possible.

Why do you ask?
Feb 13, 2017
369 posts
350 upvotes
toronto, ontario
mebbemovingtovan wrote: Correct. Well, I HAVE an US CMA would be more corrects.
I enjoy finance and FP&A but not accounting as in ensuring that historical data is collected, recorded and reported correctly. I want to work as close to "production" as possible.

Why do you ask?
I just imagined "US CMA" would more impressive than "CPA Student" on your resume.

CMA Canada and CPA Canada merged in 2013. Could you apply for a Canadian CPA based on your US CMA credentials?
Jan 29, 2018
20 posts
5 upvotes
PhotoSmurf wrote: I just imagined "US CMA" would more impressive than "CPA Student" on your resume.

CMA Canada and CPA Canada merged in 2013. Could you apply for a Canadian CPA based on your US CMA credentials?
Well, I guess it's one of those thing you'll never know if it matters :)

I was a CPA student but they still wanted me to take all PEP exams and resubmit experience. Currently they want me to pay ~$8000 CAD in student membership fees plus fees for being late with the membership payment.

And a funny thing: If you're a Canadian citizen or PR you're not allowed to get a US CPA and then write the Canadian final test unless you took all your prerequisite classes in the US as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
PhotoSmurf wrote: I just imagined "US CMA" would more impressive than "CPA Student" on your resume.

No, the CPA/CMA Canada has no mutual recognition agreement with the IMA (US CMA), if OP was with CIMA (UK CMA) then that would be a different story.

OP are you in-touch with the IMA Toronto Chapter? I know few IMA that do work in Canada they might be able to help.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)