• Dec 22nd, 2019 5:04 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 10, 2006
542 posts
143 upvotes
YYC

CPO MB B250 4Matic vs CPO Acura TLX-Tech

What are people's thoughts between these two vehicles? Which would you pick between a 2016 b250 4MATIC fully loaded and a 2016 TLX Tech SH-AWD? Both are priced similarly for similar mileage vehicles. Performance and fuel economy are similar as well. My thoughts are below based on research, I haven't driven either yet. Did I miss anything?

The TLX has some extra creature comforts (heated steering, heated rear seats and remote start) and better interior materials. There are concerns with the transmission logic and some say the 2016s fixed it, some say its not fixed. I have not tried the TLX yet, but have driven a few vehicles with the same transmission when they first started coming out and was pretty shocked at how bad it was in certain conditions. The TLX is slightly faster. Better (but not great) sound system but infotainment system is horrible. SH-AWD is a plus but adds weight. I'm not a fan of big sedans but the TLX is pretty sleek. Their V6 smooth as usual.

I love the way the b250 with AMG appearance package looks. The hatch functionality is great but missing power liftgate is disappointing. I have driven many GLAs and CLAs which are the same platforms and like the way they all drive. The sound system is garbage and materials inside is cheap but the design is quite sporty. Panoramic roof is a plus. The engine is peppy and can be piggyback tuned. Infotainment is not great but has Carplay and Android Auto. Run-flat tires are a big negative. DCT not as smooth but at least the logic does not get confused. Rear seats can slide and recline. 4MATIC implementation here is good enough for me during winter and lighter weight than SH-AWD.
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9678 posts
9138 upvotes
Markham
The B250 is designed for women who drive their kids to hockey or grocery shopping... who are also not comfortable driving a van.

The TSX is a semi-driver's car.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28593 posts
13997 upvotes
Toronto
to add ... maintenance costs for Euro brand will be more and finding an indy shop with the necessary diagnostic machine could be challenging.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9678 posts
9138 upvotes
Markham
booblehead wrote: to add ... maintenance costs for Euro brand will be more and finding an indy shop with the necessary diagnostic machine could be challenging.
<--- listen to this guy... MB charges >$300 to pull a code.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7393 posts
5409 upvotes
Kitchener
B250 is more versatile for sure........but you will likely encounter expensive problems.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1955 posts
455 upvotes
m4r 1k8
TLX midsized sedan vs b250 which is a compact hatch? how is it more versatile? for the one time you might need to carry something big? the TLX will definately be more premium then the B250
Jul 12, 2013
227 posts
144 upvotes
Saint-Bruno-de-Monta…
+1 to TLX... If you are happy with CLA and GLA, maybe considering those? They're similarly priced although slightly expensive but again depending on trims and mileage.

Agree with @Anikiri on B250.

There should be plenty of options in this budget range. Continue exploring?
Jul 30, 2015
753 posts
678 upvotes
+1 to TLX!
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1429 posts
1260 upvotes
B250 looks more like a minivan to me than a sports hatch. I'd go with the TLX hands down.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15718 posts
13458 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ed116 wrote: TLX midsized sedan vs b250 which is a compact hatch? how is it more versatile? for the one time you might need to carry something big? the TLX will definately be more premium then the B250
Sorry I wouldn’t say the Acura would be more premium. Honda interiors are pretty blah and so is this MB. Pretty equal IMO. Hatches are always more versatile though.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
3706 posts
1982 upvotes
GTA
I don’t even think they’re comparable to be honest.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2590 posts
1837 upvotes
Markham
Don't personally like either, but the B250 is a dreadful car, it does almost nothing well except has a good turning radius. I don't know how the OP liked to drive it, as it reminded me of some truly awful cars like the Dodge Caliber, if it weren't for the CLA it would've easily been the worst German car I've ever driven. As bad as the City Golf/Jettas were, they were at least cheap, the B250 being a overpriced Caliber although technically better...at the price tag and with Mercedes engineering its a travesty.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11458 posts
3723 upvotes
Toronto
I would pick TLX if I have to choose between the 2.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Oct 21, 2006
597 posts
358 upvotes
I personally would pick a CPO Camry
Sep 15, 2018
176 posts
94 upvotes
Ottawa
the tlx transmission issue was not fixed in the 2016. But from what i've heard it is a hit or miss issue. One car has it another may not. Test drive it excessively, if it's smooth I'd choose the TLX.
For me the only downside of TLX is no carplay
Sep 8, 2008
238 posts
53 upvotes
T.O
My 15 tlx was great with no tranny issues.
Jan 11, 2015
97 posts
16 upvotes
North York, ON
I have the B250 with AMG appearance package and the look is really good
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
8946 posts
10130 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Along the same line I’m debating whether to have a chocolate bar or Peking duck for dinner....thoughts?