Automotive

CR V 2020 vs RAV4 hybrid: Am I missing something? (Complete car noob)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2020 11:04 am
[OP]
Oct 5, 2014
37 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

CR V 2020 vs RAV4 hybrid: Am I missing something? (Complete car noob)

I'm currently looking into buying a new car and being a traditional asian, I'm looking into a white SUV, either a CR V (LX AWD or EX-L) or RAV4 Hybrid (LE or XLE).

Initially, I was quite sold on the CR-V until I took a look at the RAV4 hybrid which was similar in price compared to the CR-V except it was a hybrid. I'm not being specific with trims here since LX AWD is similar to LE and EX-L is similar to XLE and frankly, either trims are fine.

I'll be honest - now that I am aware a reliable hybrid SUVs can be found for ~40k, I can't seem to genuinely consider other options (e.g. CR-V, Nissan Rouge). And the fact that the industry is moving towards hybrids/PHEV/EVs makes me think the resale value will take a hit on the CR-V compared to the RAV4 hybrid.

I am a complete newbie when it comes to cars so could people please explain why/how the prices are similar? From my research, I've gathered that

-Toyota has safety features included in all models that are considered optional in Hondas (e.g. blindspot monitoring)
-RAV4 hybrid has better mileage (obviously since it's a hybrid)
-RAV4 hybrid has higher horsepower
-2020 RAV4 has had a handful of issues (e.g. engine crack, gas tank, defective suspension component)

Thank you!
Last edited by lykzomg on Jul 6th, 2020 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4591 posts
4833 upvotes
GTA
That's a good question. The hybrid RAV4's definitely seem like a bargain.

I suspect it has to do with Toyota having their hybrid tech well refined. They've been doing it a long time, and offer it on many of their models. More so than Honda.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4506 posts
1719 upvotes
GTA
I think one important thing to keep in mind is availability and on the road pricing. From what I understand, the hybrid RAV4's are in short supply so you may be faced with a lengthy wait. Also, because of supply and demand, you're not likely to get much, if any, discount on the RAV4. In contrast, the CR-V is readily available and you can negotiate a reasonable amount off from MSRP.

I also recall that the CR-V was/is suffering from an issue called oil dilution so I'd look into that and be sure it's resolved before committing to that vehicle.
Apr 11, 2009
655 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
check the Rav4 hybrid thread to see how the availability of other's orders are doing
seems like they can't keep up with demand and I think also the rate is on the higher side still
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1544 posts
802 upvotes
The gas model you would probably get right away. the RAV4 hybrid will take months to arrive. The base (LE) is not worth the money.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1731 posts
1769 upvotes
Like others said, there is no wait with CRV and also there are much better discounts to be had. Depending on how you finance or lease, Honda also has much better rates. CRV is roomier, more trunk space, little peppier than RAV4. I'd try to get some quotes out there for comparable trims of the two if I were you and then sit down and see whether it's worth going one way or the other. If there is like a $5k difference going with RAV4 hybrid (maybe the case, or even more) and 6 extra months of waiting, how many years would it take you to off set that with the gas savings?
May 4, 2012
242 posts
202 upvotes
stay far away from the oil dilution CRVs which they now call "normal" lol. wont be any warranties on it.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
4836 posts
7892 upvotes
Canada
If you can actually find a RAV4 Hybrid it's the obvious choice
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
14998 posts
6547 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The RAV4 hybrid is a victim of its own success. It's a better car when compared with the CR-V (especially with the oil dilution problem I keep hearing about), but that also means the RAV4 hybrid is in short-supply and you'd likely won't get much of a discount on it. But I've had my 2019 RAV4 hybrid for a bit more than a year now and I love driving it.
May 4, 2012
242 posts
202 upvotes
The only hybrids I have seen in stock are base model rav4's and highlanders. crazy. Not sure why they would put the hybrids in base models. Most of the early adopters want the higher trim levels as I understand.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
14998 posts
6547 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mobgma wrote: The only hybrids I have seen in stock are base model rav4's and highlanders. crazy. Not sure why they would put the hybrids in base models. Most of the early adopters want the higher trim levels as I understand.
The fact that Toyota is offering their hybrid technology across their entire RAV4 trim level is probably one of the reason why it is selling so well. People don't need to pay for the premium models to get a hybrid. They can actually get the hybrid drive system on the base model.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2011
1626 posts
1066 upvotes
Toronto
I have been owning and driving imports for several years...

However, since I am leasing, I didn't go with rav4 , as there was a 6 months wait and almost no discount...therefore, I went with a Ford Escape Hybrid titanium.

I cannot believe I am actually enjoying the domestic vehicle, the lease price and the interest rates were much much better than Rav4

Loving my digital dash and panoramic sunroof that rav4 cannot offer!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
8917 posts
7959 upvotes
mobgma wrote: The only hybrids I have seen in stock are base model rav4's and highlanders. crazy. Not sure why they would put the hybrids in base models. Most of the early adopters want the higher trim levels as I understand.
They probably overestimated fleet sales.
Dec 31, 2017
81 posts
69 upvotes
We have a 2017 CRV Touring and really liking the vehicle. Bought it before we knew about the oil dilution issue. Been watching for any signs of it and haven't noticed any. That being said probably won't be keeping it past the warranty period. (we got 5 year warranty plus Honda gave 6 years on the engine with the issue). Really like the car but don't want to be stuck with a car that may come with engine problems out of warranty.