• Mar 16th, 2017 10:23 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 31, 2017
74 posts
4 upvotes
Halifax

CRA job process

I recently went through finger printing and security check for a job at CRA and I know they have also called my references already. Does this mean that I will be getting the job for sure or is it still possible that I won't get the job? Does anyone have any experience with CRA's recruiting process?
34 replies
Jun 25, 2011
336 posts
116 upvotes
Alberta
AshleyA190 wrote: I recently went through finger printing and security check for a job at CRA and I know they have also called my references already. Does this mean that I will be getting the job for sure or is it still possible that I won't get the job? Does anyone have any experience with CRA's recruiting process?
There are several others same posts which answer your question rather than starting a new thread. But I will answer it anyway. Getting finger-print and security check along with reference will put you in a pool along with several other people who meet their minimum requirement. Depending on the positions they are hiring and the budget they have they will give offer to some candidates. Getting in pool does not guarantee any job offer and even getting any offer is a lengthy process. The Pool has expiry period which sometimes CRA extend it and some times they don't. If you already have some career, then don't plan your life around with the recruitment process as it is very slow and not every one get offer even after getting in the pool. I don't mean to discourage you but it is the sad affair of CRA recruitment process but you can be lucky though.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2017
74 posts
4 upvotes
Halifax
I got put into a pool for another position at CRA too and I wasn't asked to do finger printing and security check. The government is so inefficient. Why bother going through all of that work for people who may not get picked out of the pool? I don't think I have ever seen a more inefficient hiring process in my life. Who has time to wait around for a year and a half for a job?
Nov 20, 2010
297 posts
172 upvotes
Halifax
..a pool is used to draw from as positions become available. It is Gov't - if you want to work for the Gov't, get used to this phrase "hurry up and wait".
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2397 posts
1085 upvotes
AshleyA190 wrote: I got put into a pool for another position at CRA too and I wasn't asked to do finger printing and security check. The government is so inefficient. Why bother going through all of that work for people who may not get picked out of the pool? I don't think I have ever seen a more inefficient hiring process in my life. Who has time to wait around for a year and a half for a job?
It's efficient from their perspective not yours.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2017
74 posts
4 upvotes
Halifax
How could taking a year to staff a position be efficient in anyone's eyes? The whole process of the federal government is inefficient, even the way they deal with pay complaints from their employees. No wonder our taxes are so high.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
2042 posts
325 upvotes
Ottawa
AshleyA190 wrote: How could taking a year to staff a position be efficient in anyone's eyes? The whole process of the federal government is inefficient, even the way they deal with pay complaints from their employees. No wonder our taxes are so high.
One of the pools that I was hired from took 3-years!
RFD 15 73H 1337
[OP]
Jan 31, 2017
74 posts
4 upvotes
Halifax
Lord, are they just assuming there are no better candidates 3 years later? They are lucky they pay well enough or nobody is going to still be waiting around 3 years later.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2404 posts
760 upvotes
New Brunswick
AshleyA190 wrote: Lord, are they just assuming there are no better candidates 3 years later? They are lucky they pay well enough or nobody is going to still be waiting around 3 years later.
People will drop their jobs to work with the CRA. What else better would you be doing?
Aug 8, 2010
910 posts
271 upvotes

People will drop their jobs to work with the CRA. What else better would you be doing?
I was an idiot.

I was in a pool for 3 years. Every year it emailed me telling me they extended the pool one more year. the 3rd years they have a vacancy and required some specific experience. Most of those experience I gained from the then current position. I started that job 1 year ago and was happy. so I half heart filled out the requirements and told them only to contact my current manager if they decided to hire me.

Never heard from them again and not extension after that.

then 1 year later, I got layoff (a few months later the office closed due to lost of the gov contract) from that initially seemed good but later turned out to be bad job.

oh, I was so stupid...I thought I will be permanently employed there. I just knew nothing. If I knew what I know now, I probably will try my best with CRA.

sigh...Life. Me. Face-palm.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2404 posts
760 upvotes
New Brunswick
1000islands wrote:

I was an idiot.

I was in a pool for 3 years. Every year it emailed me telling me they extended the pool one more year. the 3rd years they have a vacancy and required some specific experience. Most of those experience I gained from the then current position. I started that job 1 year ago and was happy. so I half heart filled out the requirements and told them only to contact my current manager if they decided to hire me.

then 1 year later, I got layoff (a few months later the office closed due to lost of the gov contract) from that initially seemed good but later turned out to be bad job.

oh, I was so stupid...I thought I will be permanently employed there. I just knew nothing. If I knew what I know now, I probably will try my best with CRA.

I meant what else competes with a government job in the private sector for most accountants. Which general private sector accounting job beats a CRA government job in terms of perks and work-life balance?
[OP]
Jan 31, 2017
74 posts
4 upvotes
Halifax
raichu1 wrote:
1000islands wrote:

I was an idiot.

I was in a pool for 3 years. Every year it emailed me telling me they extended the pool one more year. the 3rd years they have a vacancy and required some specific experience. Most of those experience I gained from the then current position. I started that job 1 year ago and was happy. so I half heart filled out the requirements and told them only to contact my current manager if they decided to hire me

I meant what else competes with a government job in the private sector for most accountants. Which general private sector accounting job beats a CRA government job in terms of perks and work-life balance?
ummm...most private sector jobs pay better than the government and give similar perks and hours. Its the public practice accountants that would probably be running to take the job.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2017
74 posts
4 upvotes
Halifax
1000islands wrote:

I was an idiot.

Im not really sure I understand what you are saying. You half-heartedly filled out the requirements for the CRA job? and you asked CRA not to contact your current manager unless they decided to hire you but you were already working for them?
Jun 25, 2011
336 posts
116 upvotes
Alberta
AshleyA190 wrote:
1000islands wrote:

I was an idiot.

Im not really sure I understand what you are saying. You half-heartedly filled out the requirements for the CRA job? and you asked CRA not to contact your current manager unless they decided to hire you but you were already working for them?
He wasn't working for the CRA but some other private job. Since he was satisfied with his private job, and when CRA asked if he was still interested to be in CRA job pool; he told them to only contact his manager when they are ready to give him permanent offer and CRA took it as that he was no longer interested and took him out of pool.
Aug 8, 2010
910 posts
271 upvotes
raichu1 wrote: I meant what else competes with a government job in the private sector for most accountants. Which general private sector accounting job beats a CRA government job in terms of perks and work-life balance?
IT
[OP]
Jan 31, 2017
74 posts
4 upvotes
Halifax
albertaguy wrote:
AshleyA190 wrote:
1000islands wrote:

I was an idiot.

He wasn't working for the CRA but some other private job. Since he was satisfied with his private job, and when CRA asked if he was still interested to be in CRA job pool; he told them to only contact his manager when they are ready to give him permanent offer and CRA took it as that he was no longer interested and took him out of pool.
Doesn't cra call your references
Before you get put into the pool?
Aug 8, 2010
910 posts
271 upvotes
AshleyA190 wrote: Doesn't cra call your references
Before you get put into the pool?
references to validate the specific work experiences, which most I gained from that job. what will happen if my manager knows I am leaving.

sign...to be or not to be.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2017
74 posts
4 upvotes
Halifax
1000islands wrote:
raichu1 wrote: I meant what else competes with a government job in the private sector for most accountants. Which general private sector accounting job beats a CRA government job in terms of perks and work-life balance?
IT

Accountants do IT?
Nov 13, 2016
4 posts
Hey guys,

last month I got interviewed for a part-time student position at the CRA. After a month, I have still not heard back from the interview. Do you know how long it takes to here back after an interview? or if i will hear back from them at all?
[OP]
Jan 31, 2017
74 posts
4 upvotes
Halifax
You will here back. It can take over a month sometimes.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)