• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2018 11:20 am
[OP]
Jun 28, 2011
359 posts
91 upvotes
VANCOUVER

CRA payments - how long for processing

My apologies if there's another thread about this - I couldn't locate it so mods, please move if necessary.

I just paid by tax bill at the bank yesterday (the bank told me that personal tax payments are now sent electronically to CRA) and given the issues with CRA's incompetency, what is the time frame for them to process the payment?
Is it a few business days?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1536 posts
533 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I've never had a payment take more than 5 business days. Note that a payment made "today" might be counted as being made "tomorrow" because of the bank systems. Cut-offs of 3-4 PM (for the "next day") are common.

The CRA will use the date you made the payment as the send date (noting you could be charged one day's penalty or interest because of the bank system).
[OP]
Jun 28, 2011
359 posts
91 upvotes
VANCOUVER
FoFai2015 wrote: I've never had a payment take more than 5 business days. Note that a payment made "today" might be counted as being made "tomorrow" because of the bank systems. Cut-offs of 3-4 PM (for the "next day") are common.

The CRA will use the date you made the payment as the send date (noting you could be charged one day's penalty or interest because of the bank system).
Thanks for your response.
I'll give CRA a few business days at least for them to process the payment and check My Account as well.
I've paid well before the April 30 so the penalty wouldn't apply... then again, who knows with CRA. :rolleyes:
Nov 6, 2015
898 posts
502 upvotes
Guelph, ON
I've never had any "incompetency" from CRA - things always went rather smoothly and as expected.
[OP]
Jun 28, 2011
359 posts
91 upvotes
VANCOUVER
JoeBlack23 wrote: I've never had any "incompetency" from CRA - things always went rather smoothly and as expected.
Maybe it's the media reports about CRA giving out misinformation etc. that has me circumspect. (CRA has given me the wrong information before)
But good that things have worked out for you.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2007
1106 posts
408 upvotes
This is the first time in many years that I owe the CRA money. So when did they abolish the check payment method? It would've been easier to attach a check to my paper return than to have to go through these other methods of payment. If I have my cancelled check image from the bank, then I wouldn't have to wonder if they received my payment and if it went to the right account.
Sep 13, 2016
201 posts
161 upvotes
RCML27 wrote: This is the first time in many years that I owe the CRA money. So when did they abolish the check payment method? It would've been easier to attach a check to my paper return than to have to go through these other methods of payment. If I have my cancelled check image from the bank, then I wouldn't have to wonder if they received my payment and if it went to the right account.
What is paper return?