CRA tax filing when turning 18

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2020 1:39 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2019
1058 posts
955 upvotes

CRA tax filing when turning 18

This is an off-topic question but just need an answer. I know I used google but if anyone has an answer, that will be grateful.

Im turning 18 in January of 2023, which means I can file my 2022 Tax Return to take advantage of the quarterly GST following my 19th birthday and the Ontario Sales Tax credit. The question I have is can I net-file my own tax. I have my own SIN number and my parents get the CCB and they have my birth date so maybe I can. Im turning 18 in like 3 years but idk why Im asking now. Just want to clear it out of my mind. Or do I need to mail my return?
8 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10048 posts
6145 upvotes
Unknown18281 wrote: This is an off-topic question but just need an answer. I know I used google but if anyone has an answer, that will be grateful.

Im turning 18 in January of 2023, which means I can file my 2022 Tax Return to take advantage of the quarterly GST following my 19th birthday and the Ontario Sales Tax credit. The question I have is can I net-file my own tax. I have my own SIN number and my parents get the CCB and they have my birth date so maybe I can. Im turning 18 in like 3 years but idk why Im asking now. Just want to clear it out of my mind. Or do I need to mail my return?
yes you can Netfile. You can even file your tax for 2020 or 2021 if you have a job that has taken some deductions and tax and you qualify to get them back if your income is low for the year. it will be a good practice to get ready for 2022.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2019
1058 posts
955 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: yes you can Netfile. You can even file your tax for 2020 or 2021 if you have a job that has taken some deductions and tax and you qualify to get them back if your income is low for the year. it will be a good practice to get ready for 2022.
Just out of curiosity, how do u know when I post something 🤣🤣?
Sep 10, 2017
177 posts
166 upvotes
If you really wanted to test the waters, you could file a tax return with NETFILE software now for 2019, even if you had zero (or almost zero) income. It won't do you any good, and is not needed, but if you wanted to file nothing is stopping you from filing. Just make sure your name (including middle name if applicable) and date of birth match what would be associated to you when you got your SIN.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2019
1058 posts
955 upvotes
bipster wrote: If you really wanted to test the waters, you could file a tax return with NETFILE software now for 2019, even if you had zero (or almost zero) income. It won't do you any good, and is not needed, but if you wanted to file nothing is stopping you from filing. Just make sure your name (including middle name if applicable) and date of birth match what would be associated to you when you got your SIN.
Yea i know but i will just do the 2022 Tax Return
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
Ask your parents for guidance in 2023.
Its no big deal.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)