Off Topic

[CRA] Uncashed Cheques from previous years - "Free" Money (YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2020 3:18 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2009
1096 posts
575 upvotes
Richmond Hill
It says my CRA code has expired and need to wait 5-10 business days for another code to be mailed to me? how are you guys logging in right away?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2540 posts
1703 upvotes
patrickkc wrote: It says my CRA code has expired and need to wait 5-10 business days for another code to be mailed to me? how are you guys logging in right away?
Using a 3rd party financial institution. Not sure if in your case you have to reactive that account or not.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2585 posts
1861 upvotes
Toronto
peli33 wrote: Using a 3rd party financial institution. Not sure if in your case you have to reactive that account or not.
I did that but got the same thing, need a code that will be mailed.

Thanks for the post!
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2009
1096 posts
575 upvotes
Richmond Hill
WMPCOT wrote: I did that but got the same thing, need a code that will be mailed.

Thanks for the post!
You can have the code sent to your email but you need to verify by calling in before they email you the code. I just called in and got my code. Found cheques from 2017!

Thanks OP!
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4361 posts
1255 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I do not have any uncashed cheques but my wife has one of them, I'm in the process of printing out the form, signing it and mailing it to CRA. or wait, maybe i should scan it electronically and submit it instead?

by the way her name changed, so when she got the cheque, her last name was her maden name, but her last name is now mine cus we are married, do i fill in the line where it asks who the check was payable to? or leave it blank?
Hi
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2585 posts
1861 upvotes
Toronto
patrickkc wrote: You can have the code sent to your email but you need to verify by calling in before they email you the code. I just called in and got my code. Found cheques from 2017!

Thanks OP!
I think I saw that option but had already pressed the mail option, I now have to wait for that code as I can no longer get the email option. Thanks though, good heads up for others.
Banned
Jan 9, 2020
19 posts
14 upvotes
So this a legit thing? Unclaimed cheques is such a common online scam but this appears to be legit?
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4361 posts
1255 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
it is legit, its within the CRA my account portal, the CRA knows if u didnt cash a cheque, before they did nothing now they can re-send it, or do they direct deposit it? me no no
Hi
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2520 posts
397 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Neither my wife nor I had anything - I suspected that though haha. But this is an amazing way to get people logging into the site since they are switched/switching to all electronic. Winking Face
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1760 posts
490 upvotes
Thanks OP got 85.50 from a GST cheque from 2005 ( shit i could have used this money for more pints at the bar that year lol ) ahhh 2005 what i would do to go back to that part of my life hahahah
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15436 posts
16522 upvotes
Oakville
gumby wrote: This is so unprecedented - Uncashed cheques from the CRA! At first I thought it's impossible that the CRA doesn't want money from you !Yay! ... but I realize that they ALWAYS take money from me FIRST then I have to try to get it back. Smiling Face With Horns
Weird that if you owe them money, they always cash your cheques, never will they leave your cheques uncashed ... Crying Face
You do realize that they can't cash a cheque for you right? It's 100% your fault if you didn't cash it. If you don't want to worry about forgotten cheques, then sign up for direct deposit.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
3382 posts
2026 upvotes
Kitchener
peli33 wrote: New feature on CRA website. You can check if there are any uncashed cheques waiting for you from past years. Look for "Uncashed Cheques" after login.

Nothing for me but some people on reddit are reporting success. Hope some will get a nice surprise.
Turns out that they have an uncashed cheque from 2001 from me that they're going to cash out next week.

Oh well - I never seem to be able to get ahead.
Why can't we all just get along?