None
[OP]
Nov 16, 2009
92 posts
5 upvotes
Rexdale

Crack on the basement wall

Hi,

My cousin recently went to see a house, and the said house has crack on the basement wall. It's been taken care of by the way you can see in this picture.

Is that how the cracks are fixed? Or should he be away from that house?

Thanks
12 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26663 posts
3571 upvotes
Montreal
The preferred way to fix a crack is from.the outside, by digging down to the base, exposing the whole crack, filling with the right compound, verifying the perimeter drain, and covering up the area with a water proof membrane.

Next you need to.assess the cause of the crack and remedy it.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2006
1626 posts
359 upvotes
i would walk away, its expensive to properly repair cracks in the basement.
No links or solicitations through sigs
Dec 1, 2004
397 posts
18 upvotes
GTA
If you want to know whether it was done right, the answer is no. If you see water stain on the floor I would recommend you to walk away.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24795 posts
1908 upvotes
Markham, ON
Walk away....or underbid to compensate for the cost of fixing it right.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16941 posts
1785 upvotes
Thornhill
Looks like the injection was done from the inside. It looks to be done properly.

Walking away from all houses with foundation cracks is silly - you won't find many homes without cracks.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
[OP]
Nov 16, 2009
92 posts
5 upvotes
Rexdale
toky wrote: If you want to know whether it was done right, the answer is no. If you see water stain on the floor I would recommend you to walk away.
t3359 wrote: Looks like the injection was done from the inside. It looks to be done properly.

Walking away from all houses with foundation cracks is silly - you won't find many homes without cracks.

bjl
Now I'm confused :)
Apr 4, 2006
137 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Every single Mattamy home i've walked into has leakage or has had cracks filled in the foundation wall. Makes one want to stay away from them and look at purchasing from Coscorp, etc
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16941 posts
1785 upvotes
Thornhill
roddur wrote: Now I'm confused :)
Yeah, haha. Question is whether the water stain was before or after the crack was fixed.

Can the seller provide you with a receipt and warranty of when the crack was repaired?

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Apr 4, 2006
137 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
roddur wrote: Now I'm confused :)
If its dry you are probably ok.. if its wet/stained then its most likely still leaking. Question is.. is the stain from before or after the repair
[OP]
Nov 16, 2009
92 posts
5 upvotes
Rexdale
t3359 wrote: Yeah, haha. Question is whether the water stain was before or after the crack was fixed.

Can the seller provide you with a receipt and warranty of when the crack was repaired?

bjl
mikeweb wrote: If its dry you are probably ok.. if its wet/stained then its most likely still leaking. Question is.. is the stain from before or after the repair
According to my cousin seller told him it was like that when he bought the house. The stain is after repair.

I was not with him when he(cousin) was int that house, so i don't have any more information. I'll ask him about wet floor.
Dec 17, 2012
44 posts
3 upvotes
i wouldn't worry if its a vertical crack and not buckling in at all.

If there is proper drainage outside the house I wouldn't expect to see any leaks.

"cracks are normal" is true lol many many many houses have them. its the horizontal ones, or ones wear wall is buckling or bowing in that you need to worry about!
[OP]
Nov 16, 2009
92 posts
5 upvotes
Rexdale
Just as a closure, inspection showed no water leakage. So I guess the fix was a ok one.