Tags:
[OP]
Sep 1, 2010
106 posts
18 upvotes
GTA

Crack on side tiles?

Hi,
I noticed crack between tiles joints straight line from bottom to top, see pics. Should I leave as is or need to fix?
In case of fix, simple filler from homedepot work or should I get professional?
Thanks.
Images
  • 20190329_164508.jpg
  • 20190329_164511.jpg
3 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16934 posts
1784 upvotes
Thornhill
I assume this isn’t at an addition to the home so it isn’t a structural problem. Don’t know why designers would have the brick that way - it’s just asking for this type of crack.

Just get some masonry caulk at HD and be done with it. Someone here can make a good recommendation on the brand to buy.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2289 posts
1635 upvotes
SW Ontario
Perfectly normal and is doing what it is supposed to do. It's called a "Control Joint" and it is meant to allow for expansion and contraction in brick walls, especially where two different types of brick or blocks are used.
As you can see, the cracking has occured in this joint area, and not thru the actual bricks themselves. These joints are easier to repair than having to fix cracking in the grout joints and fractured bricks in either side of this joint.

Quikrete makes a mortar repair caulk like material, that is not only textured like grout it also comes in many colors. Once applied and spread into the joint with a wet finger, it is often hard to tell it was done after some exposure to the weather. It is easier to add a little at a time and work it in, than to pump a bug bead and having to scrap some off.
It's all I have used for many years to fix these sorts of grout cracks.

See below
Images
  • 20190406_132809.jpg
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...