Automotive

Cracked my windshield, go through insurance or not?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2020 12:31 am
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3627 posts
1223 upvotes
Vaughan

Cracked my windshield, go through insurance or not?

So i cracked my windshield today needs replacement, cannot be filled. The crack already spread quite a bit already.

So do i use my insurance deductible or not?
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
12 replies
Aug 28, 2007
480 posts
1055 upvotes
Toronto
>If you need a new windshield and want your insurance to help ease your pane, your rates shouldn't take a hit – if you have coverage. “That's a comprehensive claim and it won't cause your rates to increase,” says Anne Marie Thomas, senior manager of partner relationships for rate-comparison site Insurance Hotline.

According to this Globe and Mail article from 2019
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/drive/m ... tes-go-up/

Also what's the quote for replacing the windshield and what's your deductible?
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3627 posts
1223 upvotes
Vaughan
raven0usvampire wrote: Also what's the quote for replacing the windshield and what's your deductible?
I think my deductible is $400 or $500. I have to check my insurance records. Not sure what the cost of the windshield is yet. Happened on my way to work today, and i just finished work right now.

I don't think the windshield will be as expensive as others, because there are no sensors associated with the windshield. Its just glass, no fancy auto wipers, or anything of that sort on my vehicle.

Car is a 2016 scion frs
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4936 upvotes
Toronto
Claim through your insurance and pay deductible.

It was OEM glass for $14xx and we paid $300 deductible.

Your insurance company will refer you to their preferred shop and the shop will charge you the amount of your deductible and the rest to your insurance company.
I was with TD and they sent me to go to Speedy Glass, you can ask them to cover over to your home or office parking if you wish.

Don't go cheap with non OEM glass if you have new car. If your car is 10yrs old and plus, then you may settled with aftermarket, I don't even have to pay deductible if I chose aftermarket glass, but I rather OEM.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
3376 posts
6370 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Get quote with OEM windshield pricing. Depending on what is cheaper, deductible or paying it yourself, do that.

Comprehensive claim will not raise rates.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19791 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Claim it that's what insurance is for.

I did long time ago it didn't cost me a cent.

I'm sure they'll find an excuse to increase your premiums down the road.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
4373 posts
2499 upvotes
Calgary, AB
raven0usvampire wrote: >If you need a new windshield and want your insurance to help ease your pane, your rates shouldn't take a hit – if you have coverage. “That's a comprehensive claim and it won't cause your rates to increase,” says Anne Marie Thomas, senior manager of partner relationships for rate-comparison site Insurance Hotline.

According to this Globe and Mail article from 2019
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/drive/m ... tes-go-up/

Also what's the quote for replacing the windshield and what's your deductible?
Yet our insurance company (The Personal) treat it as a claim and your insurance will go up. This is according to the representative we phoned a few months ago.

Be careful.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6737 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
Andy34 wrote: Yet our insurance company (The Personal) treat it as a claim and your insurance will go up. This is according to the representative we phoned a few months ago.

Be careful.
I think that the trick is it won't raise your rates directly like an at-fault collision claim, but it may make you lose your claims-free discount if you have one.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
I don't think it should affect your rates but frankly I didn't care. Experienced this a few mths ago and discussed in my thread. Definitely get OEM.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
We had the windshield replaced a couple times on our old Sienna and it was cheaper to get mobile service from Kijiji to do it than the insurance deductible.

I've heard that it doesn't affect your insurance but I'm always skeptical.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3627 posts
1223 upvotes
Vaughan
To update this thread. I went to Richmond Hill auto glass. I read a lot of their google reviews before going there. They have a 4.9 rating, and have over 300 ratings, which is a decent sample size imo. I called on Wednesday, and was able to get it replaced the next day. I waited for about an hour and 15 minutes. Manager calls me over to show me something. He showed me that the interior of the glass was scratched up a bit (about the size of a quarter. Without hesitation he ordered another windshield for me. Took about another 2 hours or so to get the new windshield, and install it. Instead of making me wait at the shop. The manager let me use one of the vehicles so I drive where ever I wanted to kill the time, instead of being stuck at the shop. So I drove home, and waited for the phone ring. I didn't really do much at home except watch Netflix, but it was in the comfort of my home.

Another thing I wanted to mention. The guy installing the glass showed me that the windshield was replaced before, and showed me what a crappy job the last installer did with the moulding around the windshield. I didn't even noticed it until he mentioned it. After the install, I checked the moulding, and its much more flush around the frame of the windshield. I would highly recommend Richmond Hill auto glass. Great customer service, best price I could find. Also the glass is good quality, not made in china quality. I was initially worried about the quality of glass, since it was cheaper than what the other shops quoted me.

My insurance deductible is $400. The windshield cost $260 plus HST. So it was a no brainer to pay cash, instead of using my insurance. Just posting this here, in case anyone needs a place that does great work, great prices, and quality glass.

fyi, my windshield was pretty cheap because it has no sensors what so ever. A guy with 2020 bmw X5 walks in maybe 5 minutes after I enter the shop. He was quoted $2k for his windshield. Apparently BMW wanted $4500 to replace his windshield. I'm glad I have no fancy sensors on my windshield.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
3376 posts
6370 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
phuviano wrote: To update this thread. I went to Richmond Hill auto glass. I read a lot of their google reviews before going there. They have a 4.9 rating, and have over 300 ratings, which is a decent sample size imo. I called on Wednesday, and was able to get it replaced the next day. I waited for about an hour and 15 minutes. Manager calls me over to show me something. He showed me that the interior of the glass was scratched up a bit (about the size of a quarter. Without hesitation he ordered another windshield for me. Took about another 2 hours or so to get the new windshield, and install it. Instead of making me wait at the shop. The manager let me use one of the vehicles so I drive where ever I wanted to kill the time, instead of being stuck at the shop. So I drove home, and waited for the phone ring. I didn't really do much at home except watch Netflix, but it was in the comfort of my home.

Another thing I wanted to mention. The guy installing the glass showed me that the windshield was replaced before, and showed me what a crappy job the last installer did with the moulding around the windshield. I didn't even noticed it until he mentioned it. After the install, I checked the moulding, and its much more flush around the frame of the windshield. I would highly recommend Richmond Hill auto glass. Great customer service, best price I could find. Also the glass is good quality, not made in china quality. I was initially worried about the quality of glass, since it was cheaper than what the other shops quoted me.

My insurance deductible is $400. The windshield cost $260 plus HST. So it was a no brainer to pay cash, instead of using my insurance. Just posting this here, in case anyone needs a place that does great work, great prices, and quality glass.

fyi, my windshield was pretty cheap because it has no sensors what so ever. A guy with 2020 bmw X5 walks in maybe 5 minutes after I enter the shop. He was quoted $2k for his windshield. Apparently BMW wanted $4500 to replace his windshield. I'm glad I have no fancy sensors on my windshield.
What brand windshield? OEM AGC Automotive? Either way $260 plus tax is a great price.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3627 posts
1223 upvotes
Vaughan
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: What brand windshield? OEM AGC Automotive? Either way $260 plus tax is a great price.
Nah, not AGC. I didn't look into OEM AGC glass. It probably would have cost a lot more. I only need this to last me a few more years or so, and I'm selling this car to buy another one. Its not brand name glass. It say "XYTJ" so I'll assume that's the brand, because I don't see anything else. The car had Pilkington windshield before that. I searched Pilkington, and it seems like its a brand name. I can't tell the difference between this XYTJ glass and the Pilkington one before this. If anything, this glass is much more clear, but its also brand new, so only time will tell if it will hold up.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment