• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2020 10:11 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 26, 2013
512 posts
37 upvotes

Cracking/popping noise noises at night?

I just moved into a house built in 2015 and during my first few sleeps, I notice there is a lot of of cracking/popping noise at night. The temperature inside is about 16 to 18 degrees at night and outside last night it was 1 degree. I dont really notice the noise during the day since I have music playing on the radio but at night when we turn off the radio thats when I hear them. My old place didnt make any noice apart from the furnace going on and off but that house was built in 1959. This current house has hardwood floors throughout the house with ceramic tile in the kitchen and bathroom. Would this be normal and I just need to get used to sleeping with the noises or will it stop when it gets warmer? Should I be concerned by the noises?
8 replies
Mar 10, 2004
649 posts
214 upvotes
johnnyh55 wrote: I just moved into a house built in 2015 and during my first few sleeps, I notice there is a lot of of cracking/popping noise at night. The temperature inside is about 16 to 18 degrees at night and outside last night it was 1 degree. I dont really notice the noise during the day since I have music playing on the radio but at night when we turn off the radio thats when I hear them. My old place didnt make any noice apart from the furnace going on and off but that house was built in 1959. This current house has hardwood floors throughout the house with ceramic tile in the kitchen and bathroom. Would this be normal and I just need to get used to sleeping with the noises or will it stop when it gets warmer? Should I be concerned by the noises?
Could be the ducts expanding and contracting.
Nov 23, 2011
648 posts
667 upvotes
West GTA
My house was built in the mid-90s and also does this. As the temperature changes I guess stuff expands/contracts a bit. I wouldn't be concerned.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4353 posts
1705 upvotes
GTA
johnnyh55 wrote: This current house has hardwood floors throughout the house
Hardwood floors shrink and expand based on humidity so yes they'll make noise.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3895 posts
2841 upvotes
GTA
High ghost traffic. Maybe they have " Ghostery store" at your place that you can't ser Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4141 posts
2924 upvotes
This is normal with colder temperatures - you'll eventually get used to it and yes it should stop with warmer temps.
Last edited by hierophant on May 5th, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 29, 2019
720 posts
302 upvotes
Super weird explanation for this so I have to share. It's possible the noise is coming from plastic bottles outside the home, in the shed, garage, neighbour's blue bin etc. and not from the house at all.

i would hear popping at night or early morning and used to think this noise was coming from my roof. It sounded like it was and I had a shoddy eavestrough installation and I thought it could be from any of those aluminum members expanding and contracting. I would often hear this popping sound at night or early morning during colder temperatures.

One day I was outside early during the winter and happened to hear the popping sound from outside, it wasn't coming from my roof at all. It was coming from my recycling bin which I leave outside. The culprit was expanding and contracting plastic water bottles that I crush and screw the lids back on. If you have plastic bottles in your blue box, try leaving the caps off and see if the sound goes away.

I never in a million years would have guessed the noise was coming from my blue bin. From inside the house, I swear it sounded like the noise was coming from my roof.
Jun 3, 2006
701 posts
102 upvotes
Markham
My ducts make noise in the winter when the furnace is on.