Craftsman Lawnmower (only 1 year old) Not Completely Smooth - Video Enclosed

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2017 11:42 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
6830 posts
1257 upvotes

Craftsman Lawnmower (only 1 year old) Not Completely Smooth - Video Enclosed

I bought the Craftsman lawnmower with Briggs & Stratton engine that was advertised here on RFD last year. It's now about 1 year old.

In 2016, I put in Shell 91-octane gasoline, and started using it at the beginning of spring 2016, and it seemed to be fine. Towards the end of 2016, it started not running smoothly (power not as strong as before, and you can hear the engine running at a non-constant speed). I attributed this to the fact that the gas had been in the lawnmower for a few months (one tank of gas lasted me all season), and didn't think anything of it.

At the end of fall 2016, I burned off all the gasoline in the tank, and put the mower away for storage through the winter.

I just brought the mower back out for its first use in 2017 today. I put in fresh Esso 91-octane gasoline. It took about 10 pulls to start. After starting, it was not running smoothly (sounded like it was about to die off -- i.e. engine speed slowing down, then it would fire, and the engine would continue on again). Eventually, after letting it continue to "try" to run for a few minutes, it started running in a constant manner.

However, it still doesn't seem to be running perfectly smooth. I've attached the video here. I hear a bit of speed variation in the engine even though it's supposed to be running at a constant speed. As well, I'm hearing some slight popping sounds on a continuous basis.

Video of the lawnmower running here:

https://youtu.be/DiouzdFBr6E

What's the reason for this? If it's a mower issue, would something like this typically be covered under warranty?
37 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20470 upvotes
Did you use fuel stabilizer? Probably some residue in the carburetor affecting the fuel flow. A bit of use is clearing up the issue. I prefer to store my lawn mower with a full tank of gas, with fuel stabilizer. My craftsman is well aged.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
My friend has the same one (as It appears to be). Hers has a problem with the spark plugs and wire connector since she bought, maybe you can look into this as well.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
6830 posts
1257 upvotes
booblehead wrote: My friend has the same one (as It appears to be). Hers has a problem with the spark plugs and wire connector since she bought, maybe you can look into this as well.
Did she end up bringing it in for warranty service? Did they fix it?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
6830 posts
1257 upvotes
will888 wrote: Did you use fuel stabilizer? Probably some residue in the carburetor affecting the fuel flow. A bit of use is clearing up the issue. I prefer to store my lawn mower with a full tank of gas, with fuel stabilizer. My craftsman is well aged.
I did not use fuel stabilizer, but I did burn off all the gas by keeping it running until it stopped on its own, before putting it away last winter.

Yesterday? I did use it for about 20 minutes despite the uneven engine activity. How long would you expect it to take to clear up?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
Probably does need a tune up. Clean or change spark plug and point of contact, oil change and new gas.
I see the logic of using up all the gas before storing.
Who knows though, maybe leaving some gas in with the stabilizer is better than a dry tank as exemplified in will888's case.
Mar 19, 2013
728 posts
228 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
Arrow wrote: I did not use fuel stabilizer, but I did burn off all the gas by keeping it running until it stopped on its own, before putting it away last winter.

Yesterday? I did use it for about 20 minutes despite the uneven engine activity. How long would you expect it to take to clear up?
Listened to your video, doesn't sound that bad. I would continue to use it, it may improve. As for running out the gas for winter storage, that is what I have done for 33 years with all my gas powered lawn/garden equipment, never had a problem.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
Her neighbor fixed it by replacing the spark plug and wire connector (even though it was under warranty) ... easier that way

Arrow wrote: Did she end up bringing it in for warranty service? Did they fix it?
Last edited by booblehead on Apr 15th, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Is your blade unbalanced in any way? Did you sharpen it unevenly? Or did you hit a rock and it's now lopsided?
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12939 posts
1862 upvotes
Brampton
Maybe the carb is gummed up and needs cleaning. Try running it without the air filter and see if that makes a difference.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9356 posts
2211 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Emptying the gas for the winter is fine, but you need to do more than just let it run till its dry. After it stalls, I guarantee there is still gas in the carburetor which still needs to be drained. The gas in the carburetor is what causes the issue.

I have always drained mine completely before storing and it has always started first pull in the spring. This time I decided to just use stabilizer like everyone suggests and give it a try (definitely easier). The verdict is still out since I haven't pulled the mower out yet this year...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
6830 posts
1257 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Is your blade unbalanced in any way? Did you sharpen it unevenly? Or did you hit a rock and it's now lopsided?
No, I'm pretty sure the blade isn't unbalanced, and that I haven't hit anything (e.g. a rock) with it.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
6830 posts
1257 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote: Maybe the carb is gummed up and needs cleaning. Try running it without the air filter and see if that makes a difference.
So just remove the air filter altogether, turn it on, and see how it runs?
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12939 posts
1862 upvotes
Brampton
Arrow wrote: So just remove the air filter altogether, turn it on, and see how it runs?
yes
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1535 posts
1256 upvotes
Hamilton
Go buy some "Sea Foam " gas/engine treatment and follow directions for putting in gas. Add a bit more than recommended. Let sit for a bit then go out and cut your grass for a while to give it a good use.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
6830 posts
1257 upvotes
luckystrike1 wrote: Go buy some "Sea Foam " gas/engine treatment and follow directions for putting in gas. Add a bit more than recommended. Let sit for a bit then go out and cut your grass for a while to give it a good use.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Any idea whether this will void a lawnmower warranty (in general), in case it doesn't solve the issue? If it doesn't work, I may end up bringing it in.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
I expect to see more and more of these kinds of threads as more millennial become home owners and have never learned handyman skills.

Traditionally 4 stroke engine mowers and other gas appliances need the following each season.

Fresh oil (oil changes are suggested at least every season or I've seen every 15-50hours of operation) check your manual.

The airfilter needs to be cleaned often. (Mine says every other mow) its a small piece of foam so it's easily cleaned.

For ease of start a fresh spark plug every season. In the old days you'd pull it inspect, clean and gap it. Again check the manual.

Carbs used to need cleaning and tuning once a season but they're better made now and we have better gas.

Tuning and maintaining engines used to be a common skill but with cars the way they are, it's a dying common skill.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9474 posts
2650 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote: Maybe the carb is gummed up and needs cleaning. Try running it without the air filter and see if that makes a difference.
Yup. I sometimes spray WD40 into the carb as well.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11213 posts
10058 upvotes
Kootenays
The little foam inserts that act as an air cleaner often get plugged up. It will drop the power immensely.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
tebore wrote:
Carbs used to need cleaning and tuning once a season but they're better made now and we have better gas.
I 1000% disagree with this statement. The ethanol in our fuel gums up small carbs and disintegrates fuel lines like nobodies business. Years of running sleds without incident ended a few years back when you can't choose no ethanol anymore. Rotten fuel lines are the norm now with any engine that sits.