• Aug 15th, 2021 12:31 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6211 posts
3092 upvotes
Cornwall PE

Crappy tire tire installation and ballancing ripoff

So needed new tires, found 4 continental 235-45-18" for $810 at crappy tire. So figured $810 + $45 environmental + $21x4 for installation so around $970 + taxes. $1116.01 24 months no interest so why not go there?
Get the bill 1103.39 + taxes total $1268.90. They charged $199.92 for labor and $61.99 other.
They damaged a sensor and claimed replaced for free, thinking trying to hide it in the labor and the other charge.
Had to get back to work but will be asking for some answers and plan on getting my money back.
Never had an issue with this crappy tire location till now.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
27 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19470 posts
22604 upvotes
GTA
Most here will tell you never to use CT service. Maybe you've been lucky since you're in a less populated area.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4627 posts
4880 upvotes
GTA
They didn't tell you how much installation was going to be before you agreed to proceed with the work? What was the $62 of "other" for?

$50 per tire for installation is too high, but $21 per tire is too low. Somewhere in the middle would've been reasonable. I know my local shop charges extra to mount low-profile tires (like yours).
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16983 posts
14590 upvotes
GTA, ON
What? Didn't they tell you it was $21 x 4 for installation? So how do they go ahead and charge you additional for labour?
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
10642 posts
4740 upvotes
Ontario
Canadian tire mechanics - if your car isn't totalled or written off after their work, you got off good. Count your blessings and move on before they offer you free oil change and ruin your car then.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7179 posts
9153 upvotes
The NORTH

In any Canadian Tire thread about the automotive service department, this gif is relevant...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6211 posts
3092 upvotes
Cornwall PE
I normally don't use canadian tire for any work, but tire installation is a no brainer. I think The $199 includes the $45 environmental fee so that would be $38 something a tire. But what is really nagging me then is the $61 other charge. Thinking trying to hit me with that replaced sensor that was supposed to be free. Anyway the $21.99 is listed in the breakdown as '18" and up tire balancing' and that added to the usual $17 is $38.75. But that $61 other is sticking in my side the most. Am going to call other tire shops and get a friend to call the CT store inquiring tire installation for 18" at crappy tire.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5792 posts
4931 upvotes
Oakville, ON
betamaxman wrote: So needed new tires, found 4 continental 235-45-18" for $810 at crappy tire. So figured $810 + $45 environmental + $21x4 for installation so around $970 + taxes. $1116.01 24 months no interest so why not go there?
Get the bill 1103.39 + taxes total $1268.90. They charged $199.92 for labor and $61.99 other.
They damaged a sensor and claimed replaced for free, thinking trying to hide it in the labor and the other charge.
Had to get back to work but will be asking for some answers and plan on getting my money back.
So before work was started when you dropped off the keys did you not ask to confirm if your quick estimate was correct? Or did they not do a quick tally of the job to provide a more accurate estimate before work started?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6211 posts
3092 upvotes
Cornwall PE
CanadianLurker wrote: So before work was started when you dropped off the keys did you not ask to confirm if your quick estimate was correct? Or did they not do a quick tally of the job to provide a more accurate estimate before work started?
Not a usual thing for a simple tire install. Have had tires installed many times at this crappy tire location and never experienced sticker shock. But I think I will get this resolved and I think I was told only partial cost that is the extra balancing charge. And I believe I will find I was over charged $61 and it will be resolved. Live and learn concerning 18' and over tires, never had anything larger than 16" before. Still seems a bogus charge to me but seems to be universal for tires this size.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13087 posts
4175 upvotes
GTA
I've got tires at CT a few times and each time I got a print out of the quote beforehand. Did this not happen?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15006 posts
11534 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
betamaxman wrote: So needed new tires, found 4 continental 235-45-18" for $810 at crappy tire. So figured $810 + $45 environmental + $21x4 for installation so around $970 + taxes. $1116.01 24 months no interest so why not go there?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Sep 12, 2003
657 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
Couldn’t you ask for the estimate or bill
Before the service was done? Never had problem with tire replacement and had used over 6 different locations.
Heatware: TheOneBarton
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11096 posts
4339 upvotes
What do you mean "you figured"? didn't you sign-off on a written quote before they started the work ? That's standard
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6211 posts
3092 upvotes
Cornwall PE
blexann wrote: What do you mean "you figured"? didn't you sign-off on a written quote before they started the work ? That's standard
Ya of course, and was stated, but didn't really examine it that closely it was just a tire install, and I just came off a 14 hour stint at work and only had 4 hours sleep before that, simply expected same charges as the winter tires I bought and had installed there last fall. Anyway not looking for excuses I fully accept the responsibility but I do intend and expect to get it resolved. Simply intended with this thread for info especially regarding 18" tires and the extra fees there seems to be. My biggest concern now is the $61 other fee that was not on the original paper work I signed. I think they charged me for the damaged sensor and programming.
Anyway thanks for the helpful post.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15103 upvotes
Uhhhh....

betamaxman wrote: Get the bill 1103.39 + taxes total $1268.90. They charged $199.92 for labor and $61.99 other.
Yeah good luck with that and maybe try a different plan like...oh I dunno...not going to CT for auto service? lol
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6211 posts
3092 upvotes
Cornwall PE
ES_Revenge wrote: Uhhhh....

Yeah good luck with that and maybe try a different plan like...oh I dunno...not going to CT for auto service? lol
Never do for service, just tire installation when I buy tires there. I buy them there because of price and 24 month no fee deferred payment option. Installation was never an issue there before, but if not resolved to my satisfaction might make different arrangements in the future. This was a never before amount and some of it of course was an unexpected amount due to them being 18".
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Feb 7, 2017
178 posts
217 upvotes
I thought that CT would install and balance tires for free upon purchasing a set of 4??

Bought a set of winters last year and the install was free! I cringed throughout the whole process of them changing my tires but it went fine and I was out of there in 45 minutes.

Only downside was the tires they tried to put on my car had a date code of 2017. I refused to have them mount those and the manager thought I was a real difficult customer. Finally they found a 2020 set in the back but the manager kept insisting there’s no difference lol
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5792 posts
4931 upvotes
Oakville, ON
betamaxman wrote: Ya of course, and was stated, but didn't really examine it that closely it was just a tire install, and I just came off a 14 hour stint at work and only had 4 hours sleep before that, simply expected same charges as the winter tires I bought and had installed there last fall. Anyway not looking for excuses I fully accept the responsibility but I do intend and expect to get it resolved. Simply intended with this thread for info especially regarding 18" tires and the extra fees there seems to be. My biggest concern now is the $61 other fee that was not on the original paper work I signed. I think they charged me for the damaged sensor and programming.
For that point, this is a fairly common thing to encounter. It's due to a combination of larger sized tires such as 18"+ combined with low profile tires. The upcharge is for the slight extra labour handling larger tires but more so for the extra labour involved in mounting the lower profile tires. With less sidewall to work with its more time consuming to get them mounted while also avoiding damage to the wheel.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
MOBB416 wrote: I thought that CT would install and balance tires for free upon purchasing a set of 4??

Bought a set of winters last year and the install was free! I cringed throughout the whole process of them changing my tires but it went fine and I was out of there in 45 minutes.

Only downside was the tires they tried to put on my car had a date code of 2017. I refused to have them mount those and the manager thought I was a real difficult customer. Finally they found a 2020 set in the back but the manager kept insisting there’s no difference lol
Exactly, most tires shop will install your tires for free if you buy them new tires or 4 tires + rims.

CT is a big "Dig", I purchased a set of 4 Micheline Xi3 and I found a better deal from another shop, the tires are not mounted with sticker labels still on them.

I tried refund them, but the tires's DOT aren't matching the one from my invoice!!! WTF. it was the exact same 4 tires I got from them, then the Manager were thinking I brought in old tires and refund them instead of the new one. Basically they are accusing me for fraud.
Somehow, on one of the tires, the manager recognize his hand writing and OK to refund those 4 tires.

So how the heck they sold me 4 tires with a different DOT on the invoices.....

CT....can never make things right, even their invoices!
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11096 posts
4339 upvotes
betamaxman wrote: Ya of course, and was stated, but didn't really examine it that closely it was just a tire install, and I just came off a 14 hour stint at work and only had 4 hours sleep before that, simply expected same charges as the winter tires I bought and had installed there last fall. Anyway not looking for excuses I fully accept the responsibility but I do intend and expect to get it resolved. Simply intended with this thread for info especially regarding 18" tires and the extra fees there seems to be. My biggest concern now is the $61 other fee that was not on the original paper work I signed. I think they charged me for the damaged sensor and programming.
I saw the main reason you go to CT is for the differed payment (?), do yourself a favor next time and try an independent - depending on your location many on here can refer you to a very good indi shop. For any wheel/tire work I take all our vehicles to a local tire shop - 10+ years. in all that time, zero complaints with service and price.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus