Deal Link:
Price:
$139
Savings:
30% off
Retailer:
Crate and Barrel
More offers from Crate and Barrel
Came across this amazing deal for the Baratza Encore on Crate and Barrel's website. They have it in stock online or you can pick it up at the store to avoid the $20 shipping. Available in both colour (black and white)

You can also probably get away with price matching with another retailer if it's easier and to save on shipping

This is the lowest I have ever seen this go and I would be all over this if I did not get one for Christmas already.

Replaced my OXO burr grinder with this and it is a night and day difference. My OXO one started to get dull after about a year and produced inconsistent grinds and I paid about $100 for it. This is $40 more but will last a lifetime as all parts are replaceable.
52 replies
Oct 13, 2008
235 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
I've also got a 3 year old Oxo... debating whether to replace. How can you tell if the burrs are getting dull?

Surprisingly the Oxo has slightly better reviews than the Encore on Amazon
Last edited by blayze on Jan 19th, 2023 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2018
1242 posts
1338 upvotes
My Bodum burr grinder with glass catcher is coming up 2 years old and this is tempting....!

I'm new to the burr world but is this a clear upgrade?

Should I just grab this for when my current one kicks the bucket lol....
Feb 11, 2017
402 posts
484 upvotes
Ottawa
MikeB84225 wrote: My Bodum burr grinder with glass catcher is coming up 2 years old and this is tempting....!

I got this one a few months ago to replace my Bodum burr grinder with glass catcher as well. My Bodum had a timer, which is good if you want to keep a lot of beans in the hopper and grind by time. This one doesn’t, so I keep the hopper empty and single dose by weight now.

Neither is good enough for espresso from what I read, but I haven’t tried. Both are messy, but the Bodum for me was messier. Subjectively, I think the Baratza’s grind is more consistent. Not enough to affect taste for French press, but I’ve noticed a difference with pour over. YMMV
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2018
1242 posts
1338 upvotes
Ah1800 wrote: I got this one a few months ago to replace my Bodum burr grinder with glass catcher as well. My Bodum had a timer, which is good if you want to keep a lot of beans in the hopper and grind by time. This one doesn’t, so I keep the hopper empty and single dose by weight now.

Neither is good enough for espresso from what I read, but I haven’t tried. Both are messy, but the Bodum for me was messier. Subjectively, I think the Baratza’s grind is more consistent. Not enough to affect taste for French press, but I’ve noticed a difference with pour over. YMMV
Thanks for this!!

Not having a timer could be a deal breaker as it's set so my wife and parents if they are over can just hit the button and go, would be harder for them to make them pre-measure or perhaps just set an egg timer or find a scoop.
Jun 20, 2020
10 posts
29 upvotes
Ah1800 wrote: I got this one a few months ago to replace my Bodum burr grinder with glass catcher as well. My Bodum had a timer, which is good if you want to keep a lot of beans in the hopper and grind by time. This one doesn’t, so I keep the hopper empty and single dose by weight now.

You can manage the mess on the baratza at least, by misting the beans with water before grinding. I just wet my fingers and flick a bit of water into my measuring cup and shake it up a bit. This has significantly reduced the mess for me.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2019
2402 posts
12362 upvotes
Who downvotes for not a good price LOL this is ATL
Nov 15, 2019
273 posts
390 upvotes
My encore is going on 5 years old and it still works great. I'm sure my neighbors don't love that I grind coffee every morning at 7AM... but I love it!
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
2081 posts
5312 upvotes
Vancouver
Love my 7 year old Encore. Still going strong.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2017
1185 posts
2123 upvotes
Toronto
Extra $20 for shipping if you don't have access to a shop. Can't return once used.
Dec 20, 2018
801 posts
1221 upvotes
Seems like a good grinder, one that I passed on when I got my current one because the price wasn't as good as this.

$20 shipping or going to Yorkdale seems like two bad options.
Outlaw ellipses and apostrophes.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2003
1919 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
These are pretty decent. You can upgrade the burrs and they're extremely repairable.
If anything goes wrong you can basically buy any part you need off their site and fix it.
Sep 1, 2006
549 posts
710 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
MikeB84225 wrote: My Bodum burr grinder with glass catcher is coming up 2 years old and this is tempting....!

I bought this grinder a few weeks ago (for $160) to replace my Bodum Burr Grinder with glass catcher. The Bodum was way too messy imo. I like this grinder a lot more.

edit: the grinder I got appears to be the newer version? I am not sure what all of the differences are, but if mine is in fact the newer version, I don't like how they removed the automatic shut off.
Last edited by LetsGoWings on Jan 19th, 2023 2:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2009
2247 posts
909 upvotes
This is hot from a price perspective and as an entry level grinder. I upgraded to this from the Hario Skerton and have moved on since to a K plus (after some additional intermediate steps).

Be warned - it was loud, and if you're prone to becoming obsessive about your hobbies, or even just the taste of your cup, you'll find yourself upgrading sooner than you would think.
Last edited by goodguy90 on Jan 19th, 2023 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5483 posts
5764 upvotes
This is an amazing price for an amazing brew/filter grinder.

Just know, this grinder is loud and messy with no frills. For filter/pourover this is better than my Breville Smart Grinder Pro but not as good as a Eureka Crono. Encore is also infinitely repairable which alone makes it better than the Capresso Infinity and Bodum.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Jan 27, 2011
604 posts
441 upvotes
I'll stick to my Oxo grinder. Less messy, has the timer and consistent grind for me.
Jun 2, 2021
30 posts
52 upvotes
Scarborough/Markham
This price is hot. I got one in late Oct 2022, and it was on sale for $160.
Oct 13, 2008
235 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
Wait a minute... there's no timer?!?! Oh man, that'll be hard for me to adjust to after using the Oxo
Oct 13, 2008
235 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
Thecheapindian wrote: Replaced my OXO burr grinder with this and it is a night and day difference. My OXO one started to get dull after about a year and produced inconsistent grinds and I paid about $100 for it. This is $40 more but will last a lifetime as all parts are replaceable.
What's the noise level relative to your Oxo? If Oxo is a 5/10 noise, what's the Encore?