• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2020 9:49 am
Tags:
Jan 3, 2003
440 posts
159 upvotes
Vancouver Island

Crave App on PS4

I noticed this morning there is an app for Crave TV on the PS4 in the PS Store. When I look it up it shows as being released on Oct 14th, 2020, but the app doesn't show either a price or for free. So far I've been unable to download it.

Anybody else been able to get this?
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9849 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
I noticed it recently as well but can't download it yet either, a few others on Reddit confirm the same. I've been waiting forever for this and don't use Crave much because the quality on the set top box or my HTPC browser is atrocious. I only occasionally use it to watch old HBO series on my tablet which is bizarrely the only way I can watch in 1080p but can't output that to my TV
Penalty Box
May 12, 2011
3407 posts
487 upvotes
North Vancouver
ReeGee wrote: I noticed it recently as well but can't download it yet either, a few others on Reddit confirm the same. I've been waiting forever for this and don't use Crave much because the quality on the set top box or my HTPC browser is atrocious. I only occasionally use it to watch old HBO series on my tablet which is bizarrely the only way I can watch in 1080p but can't output that to my TV

Just use HBO Max on Nvidia Shield or on Firecube better than crave
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9849 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Sharks316 wrote: Just use HBO Max on Nvidia Shield or on Firecube better than crave
I don't have an Nvidia shield or know what a firecube is. Tbh I'm not a big TV viewer in general and wouldn't buy separate hardware or pay to subscribe to any service just to watch TV. I only have Crave+HBO in the first place because it's included free with my condos amenities
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
Sharks316 wrote: Just use HBO Max on Nvidia Shield or on Firecube better than crave
Kind of a weird response... spend more money for extra peripherals and an entirely different streaming service?! I didn't even know HBO Max was available in Canada. I get all my HBO Max content through Crave...
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9849 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Confirmed it's working now. The app seems slow as and laggy as hell but once you hit play on something it's OK. The quality is much better than the Roger set top box and their web player but still noticeably lower bitrate than my typical Usenet downloads
Penalty Box
May 12, 2011
3407 posts
487 upvotes
North Vancouver
M1GOmigs wrote: Kind of a weird response... spend more money for extra peripherals and an entirely different streaming service?! I didn't even know HBO Max was available in Canada. I get all my HBO Max content through Crave...
Crave is getting a lot of the exclusive HBO MAX original shows, not the entire back catalog of shows/movies that HBO MAX as (e.g. Friends, Harry Potter Films), which would all be an entirely separate licensing deal if Crave was going to buy the rights for those lol.

HBO MAX only launched with 6 original shows, and Crave got 3 of them:

Craftopia (on Crave)Love Life (on Crave)Legendary (on Crave)On the Record The Not-Too-Late Show with Elmo Looney Tunes Cartoons.

I tried Crave but compared to HBO Max, Showtime, and Starz it's barebones.
Images
  • 20201023_110443.jpg
  • 20201023_110650.jpg
  • 20201023_110706.jpg
  • 20201023_110719.jpg
  • 20201023_110738.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8438 upvotes
GTA
Sharks316 wrote: Crave is getting a lot of the exclusive HBO MAX original shows, not the entire back catalog of shows/movies that HBO MAX as (e.g. Friends, Harry Potter Films), which would all be an entirely separate licensing deal if Crave was going to buy the rights for those lol.

HBO MAX only launched with 6 original shows, and Crave got 3 of them:

Craftopia (on Crave)Love Life (on Crave)Legendary (on Crave)On the Record The Not-Too-Late Show with Elmo Looney Tunes Cartoons.

I tried Crave but compared to HBO Max, Showtime, and Starz it's barebones.
Fair enough and it probably is a great service, but I think you're still missing the point. As people are saying, Crave comes with some subscriptions, and the app is on the PS4. Is there any services that give Max without an extra sub, or a PS4 HBO Max app? If not, then we could all suggest a few other subs that would require different hardware than what the OP is looking to make work here.
c'mon get happy!
Penalty Box
May 12, 2011
3407 posts
487 upvotes
North Vancouver
BernardRyder wrote: Fair enough and it probably is a great service, but I think you're still missing the point. As people are saying, Crave comes with some subscriptions, and the app is on the PS4. Is there any services that give Max without an extra sub, or a PS4 HBO Max app? If not, then we could all suggest a few other subs that would require different hardware than what the OP is looking to make work here.

No chance it's free. You need a sub!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9849 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Sharks316 wrote: I tried Crave but compared to HBO Max, Showtime, and Starz it's barebones.
Not sure what Crave was when you tried it but Crave literally includes HBO, Showtime and Starz at this point. I still don't understand what if any difference there is between HBO and "HBO Max" but I doubt it's anything worth paying an extra subscription for, especially when I'm not paying for Crave directly in the first place.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8438 upvotes
GTA
ReeGee wrote: Not sure what Crave was when you tried it but Crave literally includes HBO, Showtime and Starz at this point. I still don't understand what if any difference there is between HBO and "HBO Max" but I doubt it's anything worth paying an extra subscription for, especially when I'm not paying for Crave directly in the first place.
I know for the US, HBO Max replaced HBO Go, and it has a lot more more shows than Crave offers ATM. Which shows, and whether these shows are worth yet another subscription is a different question.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9849 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: I know for the US, HBO Max replaced HBO Go, and it has a lot more more shows than Crave offers ATM. Which shows, and whether these shows are worth yet another subscription is a different question.
All of the classic critically acclaimed and recent popular HBO series seem to be there already with regular Crave/HBO so I'm curious to know what the point of "Max" is or why anyone would want that. Off the top of my head The Wire, Curb, GOT, Outsider, Chernobyl, The Deuce, Watchmen, High Maintenance, True Detective, Westworld, countless other big HBO shows are already on Crave/HBO without needing "HBO Max"
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: All of the classic critically acclaimed and recent popular HBO series seem to be there already with regular Crave/HBO so I'm curious to know what the point of "Max" is or why anyone would want that. Off the top of my head The Wire, Curb, GOT, Outsider, Chernobyl, The Deuce, Watchmen, High Maintenance, True Detective, Westworld, countless other big HBO shows are already on Crave/HBO without needing "HBO Max"
HBO Max is a supplementary service created by the parent company, Warner Media, which goes beyond HBO offering to provide syndicated/network shows outside the broader HBO library as well. It's basically Warner Media's answer to Netflix and includes original HBO Max content (Raised by Wolves, Justice League Snyder cut, etc) along with content like Friends, Fresh Prince, Adventure Time, Dr. Who, etc...

AFAIK we don't get it in Canada yet and Crave has the license for a lot of HBO Max original content anyway.

BTW Raised by Wolves is crazy... Worth a watch via Crave (or HBO Max if you somehow subscribed to that instead)
Nov 5, 2011
260 posts
273 upvotes
Raised By Wolves is also available on CTV Sci-Fi, so it seems like some HBO Max shows will also be available outside of Crave and on the different CTV channels.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
reptile wrote: Raised By Wolves is also available on CTV Sci-Fi, so it seems like some HBO Max shows will also be available outside of Crave and on the different CTV channels.
Crave and CTV are both owned by Bell Media so I assume the deal is they broadcast it on CTV Sci Fi, and then stream it on Crave, in the same way they've been doing with Star Trek Discovery and other shows
Nov 5, 2011
260 posts
273 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote: Crave and CTV are both owned by Bell Media so I assume the deal is they broadcast it on CTV Sci Fi, and then stream it on Crave, in the same way they've been doing with Star Trek Discovery and other shows
I believe Raised By Wolves was broadcasted at the same time on CTV Sci-Fi and Crave + HBO.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)