• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2019 12:08 pm
[OP]
Jun 4, 2018
978 posts
846 upvotes
Earth

Crazy prices at Walmart online?

This has been going on for a while now. Toilet paper for $161? WTF is wrong with Walmart.ca?

This is just one example of pricing that doesn't make sense. There are many more examples of items that should be listed for a few dollars that show up in the hundreds of dollars.

13 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2542 posts
1047 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
"sold and shipped" - not Walmart.
Give me a J. I'm a maniac and an African expert.
Sep 19, 2004
727 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
SOLD & SHIPPED BY GEEKZILLA

It’s a third party seller, NOT walmart.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28914 posts
14452 upvotes
The industrial toilet paper could be reasonable assuming it's a case.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32936 posts
14659 upvotes
Yeah there are a lot of items on Walmart that are like this, from 3rd party sellers. I believe there has been a thread or two on this before on here. I'm pretty sure this is money laundering at work, lol.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3654 posts
2326 upvotes
London
Walmart ruined there website last year by turning it into a worst version of ebay. more then half of what is listed on Walmart site is not sold by Walmart now.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20250 posts
8583 upvotes
Toronto
Same like Amazon third party sellers. Not sure why even bother with those prices. Maybe they need to have a minimum number of products or something.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2011
1820 posts
1462 upvotes
Pickering
For those that can afford Rogers cell phone pricing, that's a good bargain...
CTC employee
Sport Chek / Canadian Tire / Party City discount
Telus EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
Bell EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17911 posts
8807 upvotes
From my limited understanding with Amazon it is a common tactic to price ridiculous pricing when the item is not in stock / available. For whatever reason they do not want to sell the item (incorrect detail in the listing, out of stock, wanting to just source it from a cheaper option and not stock it, etc) but want to keep the listing active. If someone wants to pay the sky high price they'll absolutely source the product, but the likely outcome is that they will lower the price when they receive stock. I think, at least at one point, Amazon's algorithms favoured people with large number of listings when they determined who was the "buy" button but I am sure this is something they are always changing.

Walmart is now a large marketplace like Amazon, so likely you only notice this from third party sellers.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28914 posts
14452 upvotes
carmaster wrote: Same like Amazon third party sellers. Not sure why even bother with those prices. Maybe they need to have a minimum number of products or something.
At least with Amazon you can filter it to Prime which means it's usually actually for sale instead of a "placeholder"
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2031 upvotes
Toronto
This is the same thing third party sellers do on marketplace sites like Amazon and Bestbuy as well.
You see Kirkland items for instance, bought from Costco, BJ's and other price clubs and listed for exorbitant prices.
Mar 8, 2013
476 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
You can filter out 3rd party sellers if you check "Walmart" under "Sold & shipped by":

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)