Entertainment

'Crazy Rich Asians' film adaptation starring Constance Wu (Fresh Off the Boat)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2018 11:00 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
11033 posts
3072 upvotes
Toronto

'Crazy Rich Asians' film adaptation starring Constance Wu (Fresh Off the Boat)

Seriocomic best seller (first of a planned literary trilogy) about ultra wealthy Chinese families living in Singapore gains momentum with sitcom star Wu negotiating for the lead role

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/c ... ans-960077
83 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
1543 posts
1046 upvotes
Canada
chimaican wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 7:17 pm
Soon to be recast with a white actress I'm sure.
So azns are the upper class now and whites are working class or hillibillies. How about the rest?
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10759 posts
664 upvotes
Scarborough
chimaican wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 7:17 pm
Soon to be recast with a white actress I'm sure.
You mean if Asian people actually go out to watch the movie cause its possible they don't.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
1825 posts
199 upvotes
thechampion116 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 11:50 am
You mean if Asian people actually go out to watch the movie cause its possible they don't.
That's impossible! Hollywood is kowtowing to Mainland China for production money.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8740 posts
5022 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
What I mean by my comment is that Hollywood has white-washed Asian characters in the past, so it wouldn't surprise me if they change around the script.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1338 posts
445 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
thechampion116 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 11:50 am
China is second biggest box office country in the world...They don't go-to movies? Sure lol
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12551 posts
1932 upvotes
City of Vancouver
What about Crazy Rich Russians and Crazy Rich Arabs?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1338 posts
445 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Becks wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 10:54 pm
What about Crazy Rich Russians and Crazy Rich Arabs?
Those have already been typecast like crazy which white dude
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
10152 posts
1102 upvotes
Brampton
Asian females have no problem getting roles. They appeal to yellow fever white males. Asian males always get casted as white guys. Look at Netflix's Iron Fist or Dr. Strange.

The rich chinese are getting a lot of social media attention. First time they have this much wealth so its all new.
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 59-0-0 and counting.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8510 upvotes
GTHA
squall458 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 10:59 am
Asian females have no problem getting roles. They appeal to yellow fever white males. Asian males always get casted as white guys. Look at Netflix's Iron Fist or Dr. Strange.

The rich chinese are getting a lot of social media attention. First time they have this much wealth so its all new.
The source material for "Iron Fist" has always portrayed the character as a white male — one who was adopted by a secret order of Asian monks.

The Dr, Strange director explains why 'The Ancient One' gender and race was changed...
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... versy.html
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
30686 posts
2565 upvotes
Winnipeg
this been done before with rich asian in vancouver right? end up with someone getting murdered
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
246 upvotes
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/c ... igm-990848

They've casted all the major roles

Henry Golding, who recently nabbed the highly coveted lead role of Nick Young in Warner Bros. adaptation Crazy Rich Asians, has signed with Paradigm.

Director Jon M. Chu set out on a worldwide search to find the male lead for his film. Golding will star opposite Fresh Off the Boat's Constance Wu — the project is his feature film debut. He grew up in London and currently is based in Singapore, and he has experience hosting several TV travel shows.

In Crazy Rich Asians, the adaptation of Kevin Kwan's hit book, Golding will play the love interest of Rachel Chu (Wu), a U.S.-born Chinese economics professor. She and Nick travel to his hometown of Singapore for his best friend's wedding. Before long, she discovers that Nick is from a family that is impossibly wealthy, he's perhaps the most eligible bachelor in Asia and every single woman in his ultra-rarefied social class is incredibly jealous of Rachel and wants to bring her down.

Michelle Yeoh stars as Nick's mother, Eleanor Young, while Gemma Chan will play Astrid.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."