Entertainment

'Crazy Rich Asians' film adaptation starring Constance Wu (Fresh Off the Boat)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2022 4:08 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2015
5405 posts
5751 upvotes
Distance: 50 Metres
Oppa a Crazy Rich Asian
To the moon
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
3292 posts
988 upvotes
I'm going to watch it just to support the asian hollywood stars
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
3872 posts
1874 upvotes
Toronto
BluePhirePB wrote: 100% on RT.
And rottendoubt is bragging about it, lol! Oh, Patrick, you sly devil you!
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Reading quickly through the reviews, it's definitely nice that many (if not actually most) are appreciating it for the movie itself and not just the whole "Asian representation" factor.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
Wait... that's not Scarlett Johansson CGed to look Asian?

Who in Hollywood allowed this?
Oct 24, 2009
398 posts
96 upvotes
sandav wrote: Or any Asian for that matter. Just doesn't work.
But the amount of Asian women who think otherwise is staggering.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1704 posts
1824 upvotes
Ottawa
DelusionalDiva wrote: But the amount of Asian women who think otherwise is staggering.
Rather than feel comfortable in their own skin, they feel it's necessary to adopt western appearances.
Oct 24, 2009
398 posts
96 upvotes
sandav wrote: Rather than feel comfortable in their own skin, they feel it's necessary to adopt western appearances.
To be fair, it's every race other than Caucasians that seem to have a latent self hate.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
DelusionalDiva wrote: To be fair, it's every race other than Caucasians that seem to have a latent self hate.
How in hell do you just leap to that conclusion??
Oct 24, 2009
398 posts
96 upvotes
DiceMan wrote: How in hell do you just leap to that conclusion??
You can choose to disagree, but if you pay attention to the 'desired' physical traits in pop culture or literature of some cultures, it's always a covert preference for something that looks nothing like them. At least Hollywood can be commended for still elevating the ideals of their initial audience as appealing.

My comment was not meant as a snide towards anyone other than those who aren't comfortable within their own skin. It has extremely detrimental impact on those who are constantly trying to fit in to those unattainable ideals. People in some countries are getting questionable injections just to look lighter all because their media told them this is what beauty is equated with.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
It's a fluffy mediocre movie, but at least anything's better than Joy Luck Club.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
It's your typical "rags to riches" type rom-com, but the whole "Asian twist" on it made it interesting as opposed to tired.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1685 posts
1122 upvotes
Windsor, ON area
DelusionalDiva wrote: But the amount of Asian women who think otherwise is staggering.
I've seen many blonde asians, male and female and I think it works for some and it doesn't for others. It depends on the shade of blonde and their skin tone.
That goes for any other race dying their hair blonde. And just because you dye your hair blonde doesn't mean you want to be white. How about people who dye their hair green or blue or pink or any other colour?

I'm really tired of people telling others that they're trying to be "white" or "black" or whatever just because they like a certain look.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
uber_shnitz wrote: It's your typical "rags to riches" type rom-com, but the whole "Asian twist" on it made it interesting as opposed to tired.
A formulaic movie, but entertaining.

I thought this was the Asian Pretty Woman or Sense and Sensibility. Same themes.
Oct 24, 2009
398 posts
96 upvotes
kittypink wrote: I've seen many blonde asians, male and female and I think it works for some and it doesn't for others. It depends on the shade of blonde and their skin tone.
That goes for any other race dying their hair blonde. And just because you dye your hair blonde doesn't mean you want to be white. How about people who dye their hair green or blue or pink or any other colour?

I'm really tired of people telling others that they're trying to be "white" or "black" or whatever just because they like a certain look.
And I am really tired of people pretending that their preferences do not have a wider societal impact. I know we were only discussing hair dyeing and although it is not as detrimental as going to such lengths as surgeries or injections, but this preference for 'a certain look' is rooted in self hate. This goes for every race that is altering their looks to fit the du jour aesthetics.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
To be honest, I've never seen an Asian female look good w/ blonde hair, it just looks 'off', facial features don't match the hair color, aside of the perceived stereotype of being something they're not.

Anyway, imho ppl should rock their natural features, all this jazz w/ 'fake' stuff, e.g. the fake eyelashes going in recent years, is just so silly and obviously exaggerated. I remember years ago from that 'lo fu zee' comic the main character saw this gorgeous woman and married her. That wedding night when they were preparing for bed, she was at the nightstand taking off layers upon layers of makeup....and then she turned out to be a zombie lol.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
For true film afficionados this looks like shit. Same script different cast. Only has the asian thing going for it. Reason for the high reviews is a) asian reviewers jumping on anything asian and giving it the +1 for that factor alone and b) white reviewers giving high reviews cuz they havent seen a ton of asian flicks since Jacky Chan/Chris Tucker Rush Hour trilogy and anything new with liberal diversity gets high marks.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING