Expired Hot Deals

[Creality] [3D printer] Ender 3 Pro $209 USD (~$276 CAD)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2020 4:22 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
1282 posts
1829 upvotes
Besides printing bottle openers and chess pieces...what else is a 3D printer good for? It is actually useful or just for giggles and fun?
Anyone ever print anything significant?

Cheers, KH
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1060 posts
220 upvotes
GTA
Thanks. I Apparently got it just in time. Signed up for the extra $5 off.

How much filament does this come with? Can you guys recommend a reputable and reasonably priced place to purchase filament?
Last edited by Xephy on Aug 12th, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | Intel i7-4770K | 16GB Kingston HyperX Predator | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080 | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | LG GL83A-B| Schiit Modi 3 + Vali 2 & Senn HD600
Jan 7, 2006
524 posts
245 upvotes
Toronto
KravenHead wrote: Besides printing bottle openers and chess pieces...what else is a 3D printer good for? It is actually useful or just for giggles and fun?

Cheers, KH
Significant is subjective, but I've printed stuff for my Proslat wall (Proslat is like a peg board for organizing stuff). Proslat made their system so you need to buy their accessories, but I printed adapters to let me use Rubbermaid stuff.

Printed anchors for my Maxpider car floor mats otherwise not available.

Printed a new drip pan hook insert for my BBQ that lets me hang stuff on otherwise unable space.

Printed a bunch of shop vac adapters for dust capture that normally go for $50.

Printed surgical mask straps for better fit behind your head.

There's other stuff you can print for amusement/board games, upto you what you want to make.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2565 posts
688 upvotes
North York
KravenHead wrote: Besides printing bottle openers and chess pieces...what else is a 3D printer good for? It is actually useful or just for giggles and fun?

Cheers, KH
Check out this site and search for a few terms that come to mind

https://www.thingiverse.com
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2565 posts
688 upvotes
North York
Xephy wrote: How much filament does this come with? Can you guys recommend a reputable and reasonably priced place to purchase filament?
I just ordered 4 rolls of PLA+ in various color from this local place using code GTA75 for free shipping.

https://waterbird.ca

I might give their glow in the dark, wood and silk filament a try later on.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14956 posts
15876 upvotes
Oakville
thesubmitter wrote: Pulled the trigger.... don’t people always say wait for the ender 3D pro
You can upgrade to almost Pro specs, so if you can get a great deal on a non-pro then go for it.
I have a pro and I've very happy with it. Still upgraded some parts to improve it.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14956 posts
15876 upvotes
Oakville

Cheers, KH
I've printed many functional things around the house and it's easily paid for itself. Also, lots of fun puzzles and toys for the kids.
Sep 19, 2017
869 posts
686 upvotes
Moncton
mwong168 wrote: I am debating the BLTouch Kit and heard nothing but good things about the BIGTREETECH SKR MINI E3 replacement board. I bought my Ender 3 Pro over a month ago, assembled it and only got around to doing my first print this past weekend. I bought the Creality upgrade kit but was advised in the FB group to hold off on installing any upgrades and see how the printer performs out of the box with stock parts.

https://www.amazon.ca/Creality-Capricor ... 79de2d236f

I'm also planning to add a Pi3b+ and Pi-cam via Octoprint so I control/monitor my printer remotely too.
Out of that kit, I'd go ahead and install the metal top (the plastic one is going to break at some point) and the replacement levelling springs (the stock ones are simply too "loose" and the replacements will hold your level much longer). I have replacement tubing myself, but the stock one seems to be working fine and not binding up so I figured I'd wait until after I started having issues before mucking about with it.

BLTouch is probably the best QoL upgrade I've done so far. I've "double nutted" my bed (took the springs out and hard fixed the bed screws) and haven't even considered looking at having to do any manual bed adjustments (other than Z-Offset) since I installed it. Looking back, I see I paid almost $70 for mine from 3D Printing Canada (threw it in with some PETG I was ordering to get over their free shipping minimum) and it looks like prices have gone up since then. The Creality kit is useful because it comes with the specific hardware you need to connect it electrically to the stock creality board as well as a USB ISP burner firmware flasher so that you don't have to get your hands on an arduino to flash it. Be careful where you order from though, there are apparently a lot of fakes out there.

The mainboard swap is also well worth it just for the ability to do a straight up USB firmware flash to whatever version of Marlin you want (the stock one from their github page worked fine for me). It's amazing how "silent" the printer actually is with this board installed.

As far as octopi goes... well worth it, but I'm not sure on the Pi cam.... I just grabbed a MS Lifecam that I had sitting on the shelf and it works great. My understanding is that the pi cam is a fixed focus, while a web cam will auto-adjust focus while active.
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Sep 19, 2017
869 posts
686 upvotes
Moncton

Cheers, KH
Drawer rails, sliding door rails that aren't available commercially, 2X3 leg braces, Pinball/arcade Controller body (again, not something commercially available) replacement doorbell cover, screen door latch, etc.... the possibilities around the house are endless.
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
3695 posts
1232 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
The one day I’m not on RFD constantly and I miss out on something I’ve really been after! Hoping it restocks!
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
1282 posts
1829 upvotes
mwong168 wrote: Check out this site and search for a few terms that come to mind

https://www.thingiverse.com
Cool stuff. Got to admit the beer cap gun got my attention.
Dilemma now is this worth the wife's wrath.

Thanks all for the feedback