Expired Hot Deals

[Creality] [3D printer] Ender 3 Pro $209 USD (~$276 CAD)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2020 4:22 am
Tags:
May 18, 2007
725 posts
1180 upvotes
Toronto
KravenHead wrote: Is this a decent model? Currently 41% off on Amazon.

The reason it's on sale is that there's now a "Ender 3 - V2" out, so they're likely dumping the previous version.

The Ender PRO is a fantastic entry-level printer... arguably the best value for the buck - esp. at this price!

There are much better printers (i.e. faster, finer prints, bigger print area) - but they're 3 to 4 times this price.

Edit: Whoops... didn't notice the link is to a different (very cheap) printer. I'd argue against the one in the link... small, slow, crappy and not anywhere near the following that ender has... so NOT worth the savings!
Last edited by canada_dry on Aug 12th, 2020 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14904 posts
15769 upvotes
Oakville
sswilson wrote: Out of that kit, I'd go ahead and install the metal top (the plastic one is going to break at some point) and the replacement levelling springs (the stock ones are simply too "loose" and the replacements will hold your level much longer). I have replacement tubing myself, but the stock one seems to be working fine and not binding up so I figured I'd wait until after I started having issues before mucking about with it.

BLTouch is probably the best QoL upgrade I've done so far. I've "double nutted" my bed (took the springs out and hard fixed the bed screws) and haven't even considered looking at having to do any manual bed adjustments (other than Z-Offset) since I installed it. Looking back, I see I paid almost $70 for mine from 3D Printing Canada (threw it in with some PETG I was ordering to get over their free shipping minimum) and it looks like prices have gone up since then. The Creality kit is useful because it comes with the specific hardware you need to connect it electrically to the stock creality board as well as a USB ISP burner firmware flasher so that you don't have to get your hands on an arduino to flash it. Be careful where you order from though, there are apparently a lot of fakes out there.

The mainboard swap is also well worth it just for the ability to do a straight up USB firmware flash to whatever version of Marlin you want (the stock one from their github page worked fine for me). It's amazing how "silent" the printer actually is with this board installed.

As far as octopi goes... well worth it, but I'm not sure on the Pi cam.... I just grabbed a MS Lifecam that I had sitting on the shelf and it works great. My understanding is that the pi cam is a fixed focus, while a web cam will auto-adjust focus while active.
I'm running octoprint off an old windows laptop, works great.
I'd highly recommend a dual drive extruder https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000320826889.html
Also make sure to calibrate your extruder esteps.
I also have a Trianglelab filament runout sensor on the way https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32829808063.html
as well as a Trianglelab all metal hot end https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32844028127.html
Jan 30, 2010
293 posts
222 upvotes
Mississauga
canada_dry wrote: The reason it's on sale is that there's now a "Ender 3 - V2" out, so they're likely dumping the previous version.

The Ender PRO is a fantastic entry-level printer... arguably the best value for the buck - esp. at this price!

There are much better printers (i.e. faster, finer prints, bigger print area) - but they're 3 to 4 times this price.
You didn't click the link did you?
Sep 19, 2017
864 posts
682 upvotes
Moncton
KravenHead wrote: Cool stuff. Got to admit the beer cap gun got my attention.
Dilemma now is this worth the wife's wrath.

Thanks all for the feedback
Find something around the house that needs doing and do it with the printer.... :)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4139183

That's my first project. Something we needed that wasn't available commercially (all of the commercial rails were designed to attach to the floor which won't work with cement floors... :) ). Took a bit of work to figure out how to design it, but it's a fairly simple design and it satisfied my better half that the printer was worth the price of admission. :) Since that time I've printed off several things we needed around the house including things like plastic "patches" for the back of our silverware drawer inserts, and relatively simple things like custom made box sizes for specific use scenarios.

Well worth it. :)
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Sep 19, 2017
864 posts
682 upvotes
Moncton
KravenHead wrote: https://www.amazon.ca/LABISTS-Entry-Lev ... NrPXRydWU=

Is this a decent model? Currently 41% off on Amazon.
This model has been discussed on several threads recently. IMO, without even considering whether it's a quality printer or not, the print bed is simply too small. You couldn't even print off a 120mm computer fan guard with. 200 X 200mm is probably the smallest I'd consider to be useful, anything smaller and you're just going to wish you had a larger print surface once the novelty of 3D printing wore off.
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1059 posts
220 upvotes
GTA
mwong168 wrote:

I just ordered 4 rolls of PLA+ in various color from this local place using code GTA75 for free shipping.

https://waterbird.ca

I might give their glow in the dark, wood and silk filament a try later on.
Cool thanks. Ill order a couple PLA+ and maybe a PETG to see the difference. The glow in the dark wood and silk seem interesting. Ill have to check this out more.

This is a lot to take in right now. So many new terms and mods I need to make sense of. Extruders and BLtouches and silent boards. I kind of regret ordering some DAS mod parts off Etsy last week for my Quest. Couldve printed them myself. Lmao.

Coolest thing about this is all the upgrades you can print using the Ender. Limitless possibilities. At least i can make some money back with this unlike some of my other money pits. Glad I decided to browse RFD today.
Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | Intel i7-4770K | 16GB Kingston HyperX Predator | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080 | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | LG GL83A-B| Schiit Modi 3 + Vali 2 & Senn HD600
Sep 19, 2017
864 posts
682 upvotes
Moncton
Xephy wrote: Cool thanks. Ill order a couple PLA+ and maybe a PETG to see the difference. The glow in the dark wood and silk seem interesting. Ill have to check this out more.

This is a lot to take in right now. So many new terms and mods I need to make sense of. Extruders and BLtouches and silent boards. I kind of regret ordering some DAS mod parts off Etsy last week for my Quest. Couldve printed them myself. Lmao.

Coolest thing about this is all the upgrades you can print using the Ender. Limitless possibilities. At least i can make some money back with this unlike some of my other money pits. Glad I decided to browse RFD today.
You're going to want at least one roll of a PETG colour that you think will go well on your printer. At some point you're probably going to want to print off a part cooler mod (I'm using the bullseye) and that requires the higher temperature resistance of PETG over PLA. (My first PLA bullseye lasted about a day before it started to sag.... ;) ).

It is a lot to take in all at once, but once you get it assembled and printing reasonably well you can spend the first week or so printing off "upgrades" for the printer itself....... :)
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14904 posts
15769 upvotes
Oakville
sswilson wrote: You're going to want at least one roll of a PETG colour that you think will go well on your printer. At some point you're probably going to want to print off a part cooler mod (I'm using the bullseye) and that requires the higher temperature resistance of PETG over PLA. (My first PLA bullseye lasted about a day before it started to sag.... ;) ).

It is a lot to take in all at once, but once you get it assembled and printing reasonably well you can spend the first week or so printing off "upgrades" for the printer itself....... :)
Strange, I've had my PLA HereMe fan duct running for over a year with no issues https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3291101
Same goes for the other ducts I printed.

That said PETG is nice have for less brittle prints and higher temp resistance.
Sep 19, 2017
864 posts
682 upvotes
Moncton
engineered wrote: Strange, I've had my PLA HereMe fan duct running for over a year with no issues https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3291101

Well... there is a bit more to the story than I let on in that post.... the day after I installed my PLA bullseye I decided to try playing with ABS @ an 80 - 90C bed temp.... it was the high ABS bed temps that got the nozzles to start drooping. :) I've since printed it off in PETG and haven't had any issues so far.
Feb 19, 2013
164 posts
152 upvotes
What do you guys use 3D printers for? Are there any software required?
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13041 posts
3525 upvotes
RFD
Can this printer accept ABS or ASA with good results?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1059 posts
220 upvotes
GTA
sswilson wrote: You're going to want at least one roll of a PETG colour that you think will go well on your printer. At some point you're probably going to want to print off a part cooler mod (I'm using the bullseye) and that requires the higher temperature resistance of PETG over PLA. (My first PLA bullseye lasted about a day before it started to sag.... ;) ).

engineered wrote: Strange, I've had my PLA HereMe fan duct running for over a year with no issues https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3291101

Thanks for the replies. Theres definitely a lot to take in right now. I ordered that amazon capricorn upgrade kit as well. Luckily have some time before everything arrives to absorb it all. Now to sit and look at filament colours and browse thingiverse.

First part I will try to print out will probably be an upgrade. I will go with your recommended cooling bullseye (once i figure out what that is or does.)

I assume theres a different temp setting for PLA+ vs PETG?
Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | Intel i7-4770K | 16GB Kingston HyperX Predator | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080 | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | LG GL83A-B| Schiit Modi 3 + Vali 2 & Senn HD600