Cell Phones

Create your best budget plan for BYOD

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2018 12:21 am
[OP]
Member
Oct 12, 2015
272 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Create your best budget plan for BYOD

As a Canadian we are paying high price for our cell phone plans. I did some research and find out an alternative for the reliable voice call, I tried VoIP, which is the cheapest option but I found VoIP call is not reliable for me because I don't have a home phone and 100% depends on my cell. I am thinking to do something like this:

Sign up for public mobile unlimited provincial talk plan for 60$/90 days. With Auto pay the plan cost will be 54$/900 days or 18$/30 days.
Get a Tbaytel SIM card and pay 10.42$/month to get 1.67 GB of canada wide 3g/hspa+ data/month.
So your total monthly cost is going to 18$+10.42$=28.43$.

But for this setup you need
1. A dual SIM phone which can work on both 3g/4g together. One of the cheapest best phone is xiaomi redmi note 3 pro to work with this setup. There are many other phone but I don't have the list, you have to find one or somebody here can share his knowledge please.
2. You have to get a Tbaytel prepaid data Sim card, it's hard to get but somebody here in RFD can help you to get it.
3. There is no texting option for this setup, but you can get talk+text plan with public mobile for 5$/30 days extra.
4. Free alternative of text option is to install Fongo and use the free texting with a local area code phone number. This number is going to be different than your public mobile primary phone number, if that's an issue then go for the 5$ more option.
Please share your opinion, thanks in advance.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
5789 posts
2549 upvotes
Durham
Too much trouble to go through. For the amount of time wasted on this .... it's not worth the hassle.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
[OP]
Member
Oct 12, 2015
272 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks for your opinion, I think only hard is to get the Tbaytel SIM card, but otherwise the process is straight forward and only one time setup.
You're going to save in the long run.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Aug 8, 2012
166 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
That Public Mobile plan is $20 with auto-pay... $22 without, and I don't see how that Tbaytel data plan is better than the Fido $15/3gb
Last edited by Symbol87 on Mar 4th, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Member
Oct 12, 2015
272 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Symbol87 wrote: That Public Mobile plan is $20 with auto-pay... $22 without, and I don't see how that Tbaytel data plan is better than the Fido $15/3gb
Thanks for your opinion, yes Fido 3gb Data plan 15$/month is also a better option but it's postpaid and easy to get overage charge, otherwise I think for the amount of data and LTE you're right.
If you sign up for 90 days plan with public mobile it's 60$/90 days without autopay, with Auto pay the cost is 6$ less.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
18443 posts
5389 upvotes
Toronto
Sometimes, the Rogers service is not very good in certain areas of downtown Toronto. I notice that it takes a long time to load a page and not just because the Tbaytel service is limited to 3g. Loading the same page on my Koodo plan is quick.
[OP]
Member
Oct 12, 2015
272 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yes absolutely right. Telus/Bell has better network, but unfortunately there is no data only budget plan. Virgin has the 3gb for 15$/month but the Sim is locked to the tablet. So it's a big no for smartphone users.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 1, 2013
6179 posts
2830 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
audit13 wrote: Sometimes, the Rogers service is not very good in certain areas of downtown Toronto. I notice that it takes a long time to load a page and not just because the Tbaytel service is limited to 3g. Loading the same page on my Koodo plan is quick.
Did Fido/Rogers get rid of their "extend" service? When I used the $15/month Fido tablet plan a couple years ago, my phone would often connect to "EXT" in underground parkades ("Bellus", I'm assuming), but calling/texting/data worked without any extra charges.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
18443 posts
5389 upvotes
Toronto
dealseaker101 wrote: Did Fido/Rogers get rid of their "extend" service? When I used the $15/month Fido tablet plan a couple years ago, my phone would often connect to "EXT" in underground parkades ("Bellus", I'm assuming), but calling/texting/data worked without any extra charges.
I only use the Tbaytel SIM in an iPad and have never noticed the iPad giving me any indication of being in "EXT" or "extend" mode. It probably doesn't go into this type of mode as there have been times where I would give up trying to load a web page and just use my phone.
[OP]
Member
Oct 12, 2015
272 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto, ON
audit13 wrote: I only use the Tbaytel SIM in an iPad and have never noticed the iPad giving me any indication of being in "EXT" or "extend" mode. It probably doesn't go into this type of mode as there have been times where I would give up trying to load a web page and just use my phone.
"EXT" coverage Only for postpaid service, because Tbaytel is prepaid so it's not going to switch for Bell/Telus network.
Fido data SIM is postpaid and will automatically switch to Bell/Telus network while Rogers service is weak or no service at all.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)