• Jul 25th, 2020 9:29 pm
[OP]
Nov 16, 2009
95 posts
5 upvotes
Rexdale

Creating slope in 2nd floor balcony

Hi,

As the subject says, when moved in the balcony had a slope and flowed out through the marked are in image 1. The red circle area in those 2 pictures where it dipped over time. The material that was used is what I guess roofers use in the roof before putting the shingles.

I've been googling about what can be done to create slope. I thought of using self leveling concrete, but since the floor has rubber material not sure that'd be good idea.

Do any one of you guys have any idea what I can do to make the water flow out? Does using balcony tiles help in this case?

Thanks in advance.
image 1.jpg
image 2.jpg
6 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22895 posts
21742 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
First Question ...

WHERE is this balcony ?

A house, an apartment, a condo ?

If it’s a condo, you may own it / the condo ... but it’s up to Mgt to MAINTAIN IT
(as it’s a structural element)
And in this instance FIX IT so it does indeed drain properly
[OP]
Nov 16, 2009
95 posts
5 upvotes
Rexdale
PointsHubby wrote: First Question ...

WHERE is this balcony ?

A house, an apartment, a condo ?

If it’s a condo, you may own it / the condo ... but it’s up to Mgt to MAINTAIN IT
(as it’s a structural element)
And in this instance FIX IT so it does indeed drain properly
This balcony is in the 2nd floor of a house.
Jan 19, 2017
790 posts
870 upvotes
Kitchener
That roofing material is called SBS, looks similar to ice and water sheild, but not the same. To do it properly, you'll need to pull it up, shim and resheath to creat your slopes, then re-roof it. Could call in a roofing guy to get a quote to maybe add another sbs layer or something, but the proper way to do it is to reroof. I've managed several projects where we had to hunt and rectify water leaks, into the millions. I assure you, you do not want to scab something together to save money, it will cost you a lot more to properly fix it later.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22895 posts
21742 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
OP, thanks for answering my other Questions
rtookey wrote: That roofing material is called SBS, looks similar to ice and water sheild, but not the same. To do it properly, you'll need to pull it up, shim and resheath to creat your slopes, then re-roof it. Could call in a roofing guy to get a quote to maybe add another sbs layer or something, but the proper way to do it is to reroof. I've managed several projects where we had to hunt and rectify water leaks, into the millions. I assure you, you do not want to scab something together to save money, it will cost you a lot more to properly fix it later.
This

I had seen a similar situation on Mike Holmes a few years back ... where the client had hired a “handyman” that made such a mess, that the house had a big flood. And after, the deck / balcony still wasn’t right ... so they called Mike Holmes to fix it.

It’s a good episode for you to watch / learn from (although their deck / balcony & issues are far greater than yours are ... now )

At least you’ll get an idea of what’s required, and to look for if you hire someone

Season 2, Episode 7 = A Tear In The Fabric
https://www.hgtv.ca/shows/holmes-makes- ... 053827960/
[OP]
Nov 16, 2009
95 posts
5 upvotes
Rexdale
Thanks guys for your input. It does look like I need some professional help. I was thinking putting a sub-floor on top of SBS and self leveling cement then deck tiles. Not sure that'll be a good idea.