• Feb 21st, 2017 5:48 pm
[OP]
Banned
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
758 upvotes

Creating a website that is secure and could process payments

Hi all,

I am pretty old now 30+, and this technology thing might be a bit overwhelming for me.
Although I do some programming on my day job (VBA), and have written couple of websites using HTML back in the olden days (around 10 years); however, it is still pretty scary to get back into website development.

I heard that it is much easier these days for creating websites and hosting them. And I have also heard that there are payment vendors out there that will help you set up the payment processing on your website.

Recently, me and a friend of mine are getting into a new venture. I am responsible for setting things up and he is responsible for getting clients. We both have the qualifications to provide the services in the field we are getting into; however, I am more of an introvert than he is. So i ended up with the back office thing (including the technology part).

Correctly me if I am wrong. I will need to do the following:
1) Create a website using a software (no need to code anymore these days).
2) Find a hosting company (any suggestions?). I think I need something big so it could accommodate a database. For example: a client can log in online to view their profiles and make changes (with crucial details hidden of course).
3) Find a payment processing vendor that will help me set up the payment side of the website (any suggestions?). We would like to take credit cards,

This website also allows user to sign up to become a client.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
2751 posts
2381 upvotes
Skynet Institute of …
Shopify... website, hosting, and payment processor all in one solution no coding needed only creativity and marketing savviness

Almost wrotr spotify lol
To the moon
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7121 posts
1449 upvotes
Toronto
E-commerce sites like shopify are great for selling physical items, if what you are selling is out of the ordinary then you probably need to build it yourself.

The simplest way to take payment is paypal.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
CollegeGraduate wrote: Correctly me if I am wrong. I will need to do the following:
1) Create a website using a software (no need to code anymore these days).
2) Find a hosting company (any suggestions?). I think I need something big so it could accommodate a database. For example: a client can log in online to view their profiles and make changes (with crucial details hidden of course).
3) Find a payment processing vendor that will help me set up the payment side of the website (any suggestions?). We would like to take credit cards,
VBA isn't really programming, and without a couple website development crash courses you'll be ripe for a hack.

I recommend you subscribe to a pre-packaged solution like Shopify.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
coolspot wrote: and without a couple website development crash courses you'll be ripe for a hack.
Even with a website development course you're ripe for a hack.
That's why I'd never process my own payments.
Use someone else's gateway to process payments and let them deal with payment details.
I recommend you subscribe to a pre-packaged solution like Shopify.
Personally I don't like Shopify due to cost.
3% or 2% with your own gateway to me is too much.
I'd rather save 1+% and use my own cart.

I do have to agree with the idiot proofness though.
For some people the 1% is actually better than trying to macgyver your own solution.

At least it looks like products are now unlimited.
IIRC a while ago there used to be a limit as to the number of items you could have under the cheap plan.