Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2007
1327 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto

creating wireless access point

Can't seem to find anything on this. Rogers modem 1st floor. Would like to use old D Link 845L as an access point from 2nd floor. Is it possible to make it an access point WITHOUT the use of connecting an ethernet cable to the main router or powerline?
11 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38383 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
steven_s wrote: Can't seem to find anything on this. Rogers modem 1st floor. Would like to use old D Link 845L as an access point from 2nd floor. Is it possible to make it an access point WITHOUT the use of connecting an ethernet cable to the main router or powerline?
What you want to do is create a wireless extender. I am not sure if that feature is available on the D-Link. But you basically have the D-Link scan for Wi-Fi, connect to it and then it will create a second Wi-Fi

Wireless extenders are bad. When the D-Link connects to the Rogers modem, it has to enter the Wi-Fi password to get pass the encryption. This will automatically reduce your Wi-Fi speed. Up to 50% slower. Your extender will be half the speed of the Rogers wireless.

If you use an ethernet cable, this doens't happen.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2007
1327 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
If the feature isn't available native itself is it still possible? I don't mind the drop in speed, it'll only be for the phones wifi.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1879 posts
1407 upvotes
Barrie ON
steven_s wrote: . Would like to use old D Link 845L as an access point from 2nd floor.
If you had been able to install dd-wrt or tomato firmware on your D-Link, you would have been able to sue the WLAN repeater feature.(LINK) It doesn't appear that the 845L is DD-WRT compatible though.

If you are willing to spend $34.99 plus a couple of cents more to get free shipping, you can get this TP-Link travel router which has a WLAN repeater built in. (LINK)

Another option is to just get this similar router for $35.77, but this one needs power from a USB power source (LINK), I have this exact model I use when staying in hotel rooms to isolate all my devices from the hotel's LAN. Even though the Wi-Fi speed is reduced, it still works fine for streaming the recordings from my home PVR via the Bell Fibe App.

Depending on the existing signal strength on the 2nd floor, you may have to experiment in finding a location for your WLAN-Repeater. It needs to be placed in a position where the signal from the 1st floor is reasonably good, and yet close enough to the areas on the 2nd floor where you will be using it.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12013 posts
4368 upvotes
Winnipeg
Gee wrote:
Wireless extenders are bad. When the D-Link connects to the Rogers modem, it has to enter the Wi-Fi password to get pass the encryption. This will automatically reduce your Wi-Fi speed. Up to 50% slower. Your extender will be half the speed of the Rogers wireless.

true they cut in half and yes I do agree with you a 845l in particular is not a good extender... but wireless extenders are bad? I disagree. Wifi is only as good as its clients and most aren't power houses anyway. Extenders today are not like the old 2.4ghz ones we ran years ago.The new ones can have crossband,dualband, beamforming, mi-mimo or even mu-mimo.

2.4ghz only shines with 256/1064qam/3x3 or better which is costly,consumes more juice for router and clients. So more often than not, handheld clients don't offer it unless its latest greatest tech. But I bet its great advertising for a product to sell. Same goes for ac. You need 160mhz to meet latest greatest speed rating and another 3x3 or 4x4. But so must the clients and alot of clients don't offer that. Either due to power consumption,extra cost, or more people still use older wifi devices.

For AC, 160mhz has only one channel to meet those rated speeds and there goes the range if used. So most chose 80mhz for range/speed at around 866 Mbps. But at 80mhz also means less distance. So 40 and 20mhz is what clients genuinely/reliably default too which brings it all down to just theoretical rated 433Mps(not real world of course).

Then comes Beamforming and mu-mimo help to improve by being more efficient with the current range limitations. But...that only works if clients support it.

A wifi repeater can work very well to extend without wire to the main router. Plus only the repeater needs to be purchased to meet the newer tech and your older clients get stronger connections when range was the issue.

I wouldn't look at anything less than ac1200 repeater to invest in and they can be found pretty cheap these days. Backhaul of AC at typical 2x2 866 will still possibly match the max potential of the client in your hand. Plus it will redistribute the 2.4ghz at full speed not 1/2(ac backhaul). You can also find ones with a gigabit port. Plus they sip power.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38383 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
If you're going to invest money, then I suggest you hire someone to run an ethernet cable from the main floor to the second and use your D-Link.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1962 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Gee wrote: If you're going to invest money, then I suggest you hire someone to run an ethernet cable from the main floor to the second and use your D-Link.
Or Moca.
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7764 64 Core & Dual 5950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2007
1327 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the suggestions. The wifi repeater is an interesting product. Never knew it existed to repeat a signal without logging into admin priv.

Lead you're technicality went way over my head ;)

In my old home we pulled ethernet ourselves, this one feasible and too much work on 3 stories.

I ended up finding an old Asus rt n12 which has a repeater built in. Butchers the speed completely but it's only for the cell phones browsing. Other computer on 3rd floor uses usb 3 ac adapter which is fine for its usage and the main is ethernet where it counts. Thanks for all the replies. I may just pick up that extender anyways sounds great for hotels.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38383 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
steven_s wrote: Lead you're technicality went way over my head ;)
He's referring to the number of antennas in the access point. Cell phones generally have only 1 antenna to conserve battery. Multiple antennas will consume more battery so they only offer a single antenna. The access points have multiple antennas.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12013 posts
4368 upvotes
Winnipeg
steven_s wrote: Thanks for the suggestions. The wifi repeater is an interesting product. Never knew it existed to repeat a signal without logging into admin priv.

Lead you're technicality went way over my head ;)

In my old home we pulled ethernet ourselves, this one feasible and too much work on 3 stories.

I ended up finding an old Asus rt n12 which has a repeater built in. Butchers the speed completely but it's only for the cell phones browsing. Other computer on 3rd floor uses usb 3 ac adapter which is fine for its usage and the main is ethernet where it counts. Thanks for all the replies. I may just pick up that extender anyways sounds great for hotels.
I may get around to trying a edimax re11. This can turn any router into a mesh of sorts. Does one ssid with seamless roaming. Which is pretty cool. Its no orbi but orbi cost alot and use 35 watts load per orbi.So 3 make mesh= check your kw cost(also delivery fee+tax for 24/7 year round). I bought it for $43 usd for a kit(2) off amazon.com which was a crazy deal.

These little guys use 3.5 watts a piece so 2 =7 watts. You could then turn wifi off main, run as ap then extend to another where ever you like. Handy if you use say a modem router where disconnects is the norm.

I ve been using an re6400(3.5 watts) it performs on par with the tenda ac1900 as an ap but that runs around 12-14 watts. I really haven't seen much of a difference at all with clients between the two. But the tenda was only 40 bucks as well but have no idea if its dual band repeating capable? never tried.

Might just go back to the re6400 less power,smaller foot print, easier menu with spot location.Plus It can do dual/crossband backaul or just set to auto. They are worth it for many practical uses. These are a cheap answer for fixing 2.4ghz if you use usb 3.0 on your main router.

there were some netgear ac1200/6120 deals posted in hotdeals.
The $34 re6400 is sold out.
They have a re6300 for $40 but its only AC750(433),
a tplink 1200 for 57 bucks.

this seems good but no idea if they deliver to canada
https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-RE7000-RM/

For a long time this was very respected.
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

this is the re11 I mentioned.
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product ( I paid 43 usd)

Keep an eye out for the refurb tenda ac15 for 40 bucks at newegg.ca

Honestly ac extenders work but only as well as the router they are extending from. If its bad then its sol. Modem routers have a notoriously bad reputation for stable wifi. Always try to match what your extending becuase you can't make more out of less.
Last edited by lead on Nov 18th, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1399 posts
301 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Gee wrote: What you want to do is create a wireless extender. I am not sure if that feature is available on the D-Link. But you basically have the D-Link scan for Wi-Fi, connect to it and then it will create a second Wi-Fi

The password for a connection doesn't reduce the speed. The speed is reduced because the communication between the two routers will be half duplex.

What's I've used in the past is a router that can act as a repeater. My last setup used an Asus router configured as a repeater bridge so that the LAN ports would be active. Both routers supported dual band, so I had the routers communicate via 5Ghz, and clients connected via 2.4Ghz. This have the best throughout.
Jan 20, 2013
584 posts
147 upvotes
Woodbridge
steven_s wrote: Can't seem to find anything on this. Rogers modem 1st floor. Would like to use old D Link 845L as an access point from 2nd floor. Is it possible to make it an access point WITHOUT the use of connecting an ethernet cable to the main router or powerline?
Maybe a powerline with wifi would be your best shot?
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=068472
very simple setup,
could be as a repeater, could be placed relatively far from the modem. Nothing as good as an ethernet cable, but powerline is a good alternative IMO

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)