Personal Finance

Credit Bureau Reporting

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2020 6:01 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 21, 2019
38 posts
3 upvotes

Credit Bureau Reporting

Hi.

Rogers overcharged by quite a significant amount this month. I called them and they said it will be fixed and adjusted when the system generates the next bill.

This thing is that the due date for the current bill is 3 days before the next bill date. So technically I will have an unpaid overdue balance for 3 days.

My question is if Rogers would report to the credit bureau if my “payment” was late and unpaid for those 3 days?

Does Rogers/telecom companies report to the credit bureau right when there is a overdue balance of 1 to 3 days late?

Anyone with experience with this? Also I am not looking to pay the amount and then get the credit back.

Thank you.
7 replies
Member
Apr 16, 2020
302 posts
384 upvotes
Emily0123 wrote: Hi.

Rogers overcharged by quite a significant amount this month. I called them and they said it will be fixed and adjusted when the system generates the next bill.

This thing is that the due date for the current bill is 3 days before the next bill date. So technically I will have an unpaid overdue balance for 3 days.

My question is if Rogers would report to the credit bureau if my “payment” was late and unpaid for those 3 days?

Does Rogers/telecom companies report to the credit bureau right when there is a overdue balance of 1 to 3 days late?

Anyone with experience with this? Also I am not looking to pay the amount and then get the credit back.

Thank you.
Depending on the amount I'd probably be inclined to just pay the bill in full, the next one should be less.
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 18, 2019
909 posts
488 upvotes
Emily0123 wrote: Hi.

Rogers overcharged by quite a significant amount this month. I called them and they said it will be fixed and adjusted when the system generates the next bill.

This thing is that the due date for the current bill is 3 days before the next bill date. So technically I will have an unpaid overdue balance for 3 days.

My question is if Rogers would report to the credit bureau if my “payment” was late and unpaid for those 3 days?

Does Rogers/telecom companies report to the credit bureau right when there is a overdue balance of 1 to 3 days late?

Anyone with experience with this? Also I am not looking to pay the amount and then get the credit back.

Thank you.
Rogers will not report a late payment to the credit bureau just because it's only 3 days late. It can only report a late payment if it's more than 30 days late. The only thing you should worry about is if Rogers charges you a late payment fee for those 3 days.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7979 posts
3270 upvotes
Financial District B…
NobleFalcon1 wrote: Rogers will not report a late payment to the credit bureau just because it's only 3 days late. It can only report a late payment if it's more than 30 days late. The only thing you should worry about is if Rogers charges you a late payment fee for those 3 days.
Becareful there.
Utility accounts and agreements do not follow the same rules as revolving credit cards and their tradeline reporting also follows different rules.
As similar to secured lending rules and reporting. If you missed your car payment 3 days ago with no communications to us, we will report a late/missed payment. Not required to wait 30 days.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Member
Oct 28, 2013
399 posts
333 upvotes
Toronto
Can you submit a payment just for what the bill should have been?

But I'd also be tempted to just pay it in full and then have a credit for my next bill.
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 18, 2019
909 posts
488 upvotes
mikeymike1 wrote: Becareful there.
Utility accounts and agreements do not follow the same rules as revolving credit cards and their tradeline reporting also follows different rules.
As similar to secured lending rules and reporting. If you missed your car payment 3 days ago with no communications to us, we will report a late/missed payment. Not required to wait 30 days.
I get what you are saying, but for Rogers, Bell and Telus I can tell from experience that they don't report a late payment if it's a few days or a couple of weeks late.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7979 posts
3270 upvotes
Financial District B…
NobleFalcon1 wrote: I get what you are saying, but for Rogers, Bell and Telus I can tell from experience that they don't report a late payment if it's a few days or a couple of weeks late.
That is because they are not yet fully operational data furnishers.
Reporting a tradeline is one thing, reporting cycle payment performances is totally another and requires extensive staffing.
Even right now some of those smaller subprime lenders that advertise themselves as marketplace lending solutions(P2P) don't report payment performances to the credit bureaus. If they do they may be using a 3rd party stacker.

There has been a big push in the last year to get alternative data into the mainstream infrastructure. Simpler solutions are being developed to make it easier for some entities to perform cycle payment reporting without the heavy employment cost.

Getting back to utility trades, these accounts are not considered revolving tradelines. If your previous month utility has an end due balance of $900 you don't get to just pay $90.00 of that and carry the remaining balance over to the next month.
While some utility orgs offer equal payment plans the tradeline itself does not follow the same credit reporting as revolving credit.
Rent/lease payments from landlords and property orgs, telco, cable and other utility orgs, it's all coming
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 18, 2019
909 posts
488 upvotes
mikeymike1 wrote: That is because they are not yet fully operational data furnishers.
That's irrelevant though to the OP's concern since her late payment happened before Rogers becoming a fully operational data furnisher. Based on my experience with Rogers, as of right now, I am pretty sure Rogers won't report her 3-day late payment to the credit bureaus as a late payment.
mikeymike1 wrote: Reporting a tradeline is one thing, reporting cycle payment performances is totally another and requires extensive staffing.
Even right now some of those smaller subprime lenders that advertise themselves as marketplace lending solutions(P2P) don't report payment performances to the credit bureaus. If they do they may be using a 3rd party stacker.
I agree with this from experience too. Rogers stopped reporting my payments altogether to TransUnion since June of this year, and they royally screwed up my Equifax tradeline by literally resetting my payment history with them and starting it from scratch since May of this year. So instead of having a 41-month payment history with Rogers on my Equifax credit report I now only have an 8-month payment history. Multiple calls to their credit operations department and escalation cases to their back office team have failed to resolve both of these issues. I am not sure if it's incompetence on their part or if their systems are just too outdated to deal with this type of issue.
mikeymike1 wrote: There has been a big push in the last year to get alternative data into the mainstream infrastructure. Simpler solutions are being developed to make it easier for some entities to perform cycle payment reporting without the heavy employment cost.

Getting back to utility trades, these accounts are not considered revolving tradelines. If your previous month utility has an end due balance of $900 you don't get to just pay $90.00 of that and carry the remaining balance over to the next month.
While some utility orgs offer equal payment plans the tradeline itself does not follow the same credit reporting as revolving credit.
That does not mean that they will start reporting payments that are late by one day as late payments though. From looking at my TransUnion and Equifax reports, the only options available for reporting late payments are 30+, 60+ and 90+ days, and that's for all revolving, installment and open accounts.
mikeymike1 wrote: Rent/lease payments from landlords and property orgs, telco, cable and other utility orgs, it's all coming
I know that property managers can now report to Equifax only (Not sure what's up with TransUnion). Telcos have been reporting payments since forever though? Would love if utility companies started reporting too.

Top