Credit Cards

Credit Card Combos Thread

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2021 1:47 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 24, 2017
5672 posts
4187 upvotes
dankup wrote: Looking for credit card advice please! Must be no annual fee and cashback. Not interested in a prepaid card. I will be paying it off in full every month.

Spending:
$250/month groceries
$70/month recurring bills
$400/month everything else

I was thinking PCF World Elite Mastercard or BMO Cashback Mastercard (most of my groceries are at Loblaws banner) for 3% CB and Home Trust Preferred VISA for all other purchases + recurring bills for 1% CB

I already own the CTFS card (I don't use it) for free auto assistance.
- BMO Cash Back MC: 3% on groceries
- Tangerine MC: 2% on 3 categories (you can choose recurring bills)
- Brim MC: 2% on Amazon (global), 1% on everything else, No FX.
📱 Telus: $30/25GB Peace of Mind Plan + 1000 International minutes
💳 Core Credit Cards (2.5-7.5% return): AmEx + CIBC + Brim
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2018
1268 posts
860 upvotes
SpinifexV wrote: New combo, since my gf and I took a mortgage with Desjardins:

- Desjardins Visa Infinite Privilege: $125 for 3 all included checking account for the both of us, thanks to Engineer account, $150 for the card, $0 for the additional card. 3% groceries and travel, 4% restaurant, entertainment, public transport, 1.75% on everything else. Great travel insurance, 12 passes for Desjardins lounge in Montreal and 6 passes for global lounges.
- CTFS WE for gas, partner stores, bill payments and road-assistance. Free.
- Brim Basic: for Amazon and no Forex.
$125 for 3 chequing accounts? Did I read that right?


So lucky. Desjardins VIP is the best alll-in-one card.

Does Desjardins have good rates on their mortgages?
Newbie
User avatar
Aug 13, 2019
53 posts
40 upvotes
Longueuil, QC
EDL67134234 wrote: $125 for 3 chequing accounts? Did I read that right?


So lucky. Desjardins VIP is the best alll-in-one card.

Does Desjardins have good rates on their mortgages?
Yes, it's the Engineer Professional exclusive offer: https://www.desjardins.com/ca/personal/ ... /index.jsp

It comes with any of their cards, but you have to add $150 for the VIP one. It's costly for a card, but since the additional one is free, it's not too bad.

There are such offers for different professionals. That said, it's not the easiest institution to open accounts in, or work with (several places were they could simplify things, or make their rules more logical).

As for the mortgage rate, it's quite good. It's a 1.18% variable rate 5 years HELOC: https://www.desjardins.com/ca/personal/ ... /index.jsp

We went through Multi-Prêts. Both my gf and I had access to better rates through our professions.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Apr 19, 2010
100 posts
20 upvotes
Montreal
Heya,

It's been a while I haven't shopped for credit cards, so I'm looking for advice.

I currently have Rogers WE and Scotiabank Amex Gold.

Gas 40$
Grocery 400$
Dining 400$
Travel 150$
Utilities / bills 500$
Others 1500$

From what I've been reading, I could just go MOGO + CTFS WE?

That would mean:
1. 1% for bills from CTFS WE
2. 2% on pretty much everything that are not bills minimum, plus I can double dip rewards by funding MOGO with CTFS WE.

Am I getting this right?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by holygift on Jun 5th, 2021 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 8, 2009
14610 posts
12648 upvotes
Going to the Moon
holygift wrote: Heya,

It's been a while I haven't shopped for credit cards, so I'm looking for advice.

I currently have Rogers WE and Scotiabank Amex Gold.

Gas 40$
Grocery 400$
Dining 400$
Travel 150$
Utilities / bills 500$
Others 1500$

From what I've been reading, I could just go MOGO + TCTFS WE?

That would mean:
1. 1% for bills from TCTFS WE
2. 2% on pretty much everything that are not bills minimum, plus I can double dip rewards by funding MOGO with TCTFS WE.

Am I getting this right?

Thanks in advance.
Assuming you're not a Costco shopper, then yes, CTFS + Mogo is a golden combo for high earn.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Apr 19, 2010
100 posts
20 upvotes
Montreal
Ah... Mogo isn't available in Québec Crying Face
Newbie
Feb 29, 2020
62 posts
50 upvotes
SpinifexV wrote: Yes, it's the Engineer Professional exclusive offer: https://www.desjardins.com/ca/personal/ ... /index.jsp

It comes with any of their cards, but you have to add $150 for the VIP one. It's costly for a card, but since the additional one is free, it's not too bad.

There are such offers for different professionals. That said, it's not the easiest institution to open accounts in, or work with (several places were they could simplify things, or make their rules more logical).

As for the mortgage rate, it's quite good. It's a 1.18% variable rate 5 years HELOC: https://www.desjardins.com/ca/personal/ ... /index.jsp

We went through Multi-Prêts. Both my gf and I had access to better rates through our professions.
Would be interested in how you got the VIP for that AF. As far as I know, the Engineer Professional offer doesn't show VIP for $150 like the Doctors page does. I applied in the past through a different profession as well and the advisor stuck to his guns with the $295 AF. Was it just the amount of business you're doing with them? Longer relationship?
Newbie
User avatar
Aug 13, 2019
53 posts
40 upvotes
Longueuil, QC
Check the first link, it clearly states: "Odyssey®Visa Infinite Privilege card
To get this card, you must add $150 to the transactional plan at $125 a year."

We just tooke the mortgage with them, it's not even active yet. AFAIK, it's the same deal as the doctor's.
Sr. Member
Mar 10, 2008
673 posts
78 upvotes
Family of 5. Current use CapitalOne elite master card with $120+$30 AF and since their reward system downgrade, i'm thing to switch to other credit card. My monthly main cc bill is around $3500 to $4000. Most grocery shopping in Costco, Walmart, Superstore and T&T.

Main card: Meridian Visa infinite Cash back for Grocery, Gas and Utility bills (Does Meridian card allwo BC resident apply?)
Second card: PC master Card for Superstore and Shoppers
Third Card: Simplii Cash Back Visa for restaurants
Last one: Rogers cash back for everything else.

Any advice? Thanks in advance
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
1611 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
After reading through this thread I have a headache trying to figure out the right combination for my situation.
I just bought a house with my girlfriend and we're arranging a mortgage through hsbc. It comes with a free premier MC card but I don't know if it's worth upgrading to the premier world elite.
We are looking to share a card for common expenses. We'll also look at home improvements for the first year or so with fixtures, appliances, etc. We're looking for no more than 2 or 3 cards and our focus will be the following:
groceries $800
eating out $400
gas $500
bill payments $650-800?
travel $500
I don't mind paying an AF and we're not looking to churn cards.
Please help! :)
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 12, 2017
15827 posts
4568 upvotes
Scarberia
jindogae wrote: After reading through this thread I have a headache trying to figure out the right combination for my situation.
I just bought a house with my girlfriend and we're arranging a mortgage through hsbc. It comes with a free premier MC card but I don't know if it's worth upgrading to the premier world elite.
We are looking to share a card for common expenses. We'll also look at home improvements for the first year or so with fixtures, appliances, etc. We're looking for no more than 2 or 3 cards and our focus will be the following:
groceries $800
eating out $400
gas $500
bill payments $650-800?
travel $500
I don't mind paying an AF and we're not looking to churn cards.
Please help! :)
cdn tire WE, amex simply cash preferred,scotia visa infinite momentum, scotiabank gold amex, look into greatcanadianrebates when u apply to get cb
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 4, 2011
4051 posts
5153 upvotes
Montreal
jindogae wrote: After reading through this thread I have a headache trying to figure out the right combination for my situation.
I just bought a house with my girlfriend and we're arranging a mortgage through hsbc. It comes with a free premier MC card but I don't know if it's worth upgrading to the premier world elite.
We are looking to share a card for common expenses. We'll also look at home improvements for the first year or so with fixtures, appliances, etc. We're looking for no more than 2 or 3 cards and our focus will be the following:
groceries $800
eating out $400
gas $500
bill payments $650-800?
travel $500
I don't mind paying an AF and we're not looking to churn cards.
Please help! :)
For that level of spend, I would maybe suggest the following:
- Scotia Gold Amex ($120 AF + $29 for additional card), if you are ok with Amex, for 5% on groceries, 5% on dining and 3% on gas
- Triangle World Elite MC ($0 AF) for 1% on bill payments
- HSBC Premier WE MC (net -$1 AF) for 3% on travel and 1.5% on everything else.

EDIT: the Scotia Gold Amex and the HSBC WE MC come with sign-up bonuses as well.
Last edited by efrant on Jun 8th, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2069 posts
3256 upvotes
BC
efrant wrote: - HSBC Premier WE MC (net $49 AF) for 3% on travel and 1.5% on everything else.
HSBC Premier WE has a $149 AF but Premier customers get a $50 rebate plus you get the annual $100 travel enhancement credit, so net AF is -$1 Smiling Face With Sunglasses

The non-Premier version is net $49 when factoring in TEC.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 4, 2011
4051 posts
5153 upvotes
Montreal
rhw123 wrote: HSBC Premier WE has a $149 AF but Premier customers get a $50 rebate plus you get the annual $100 travel enhancement credit, so net AF is -$1 Smiling Face With Sunglasses

The non-Premier version is net $49 when factoring in TEC.
Even better! I'll edit my post.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2009
2339 posts
1493 upvotes
rhw123 wrote: HSBC Premier WE has a $149 AF but Premier customers get a $50 rebate plus you get the annual $100 travel enhancement credit, so net AF is -$1 Smiling Face With Sunglasses

The non-Premier version is net $49 when factoring in TEC.
Plus Premier waives the $50 supplementary cardholder fee for the GF. It's a no brainer everything else card if you have Premier.
Jr. Member
Dec 1, 2013
140 posts
81 upvotes
Vancouver
2021 mid year update:

Current cards:
Simplii VISA - 4% restaurants
BMO CB MC - 3% groceries ($500 / month)
PC MC WE - Partner stores
Rogers MC WE - 1.5% everything else, 3% US purchases
Tangerine World MC - 2% on 2 cat (currently groceries and public transportation but will change groceries to something else?)
CTFS ∆ WE - $75 CT money promo, gas / hydro and partner stores and other card benefits

Drawer cards:
Brim MC - Downgraded from WE, 1% everything, no fx. Will use for travel and fx purchases
MBNA Cashback MC - First/Oldest CC

Future cards:
CWB WE MC - FYF, 2% on everything

Will close:
Scotiabank Momentum Visa Infinite - Churned for 10% back $2k spend and $80 amazon gc, will close by end of year

Next churn:
BMO MC WE
CIBC Visa Infinite

The only new card I got was the CTFS Triangle WE. I also downgraded my Brim WE to the no AF card for 1% back on fx. Planning on getting the CWB WE MC for the FYF promo.

I still haven't been notified by Rogers about the MSR. Should I be replacing the Rogers card with something else? I don't spend much but I will occasionally buy electronics or other stuff that doesn't fit in any categories from my other cards and I only travel at most once a year.
Jr. Member
Feb 19, 2005
172 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
My current combo
- Simplii Visa 4% restaurants
- CDC Jade - 3% on everything including forex
- CTFS WE - partners and bill payment, rental

I am researching on better insurance coverage for rental, grocery and travel when it opens up.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 8, 2009
14610 posts
12648 upvotes
Going to the Moon
realinvestor101 wrote: My current combo
- Simplii Visa 4% restaurants
- CDC Jade - 3% on everything including forex
- CTFS WE - partners and bill payment, rental

I am researching on better insurance coverage for rental, grocery and travel when it opens up.
#doingitright

Simplii gives you little "extra" cashback with a tight spend volume range to make it worth using it, but if you're not doing Cobalt/BNS Gold, still not bad.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Jr. Member
Feb 19, 2005
172 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote: #doingitright

Simplii gives you little "extra" cashback with a tight spend volume range to make it worth using it, but if you're not doing Cobalt/BNS Gold, still not bad.
Mostly Costco shopper so unfortunately the 5x not that great on Amex cobalt. I used it for first year double points though. The same with Brimm WE on FYF.

On BNS Gold. It is a Visa card. I am looking for a good MasterCard for insurance which works as also my Costco card.

Top