None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3331 posts
955 upvotes
Vaughan

Credit card compromised again

So I got my CC compromised again. It seems to happen at least once a year to me. I've had it happen twice a year to me before. I've never had to pay for any of the fraudulent activities, but its just a hassle to change my pre-authourized transactions to a debit or my bank account. Plus I miss out on points until my new card arrives. It always takes like 2 weeks for my new card to arrive. Anyways, enough with my complaining...

Just curious, does this happen to everyone this often? if not, how often does this happen to you?
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
17 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13037 posts
8284 upvotes
Markham
Look at your spending patterns. Might be you should have two cards , one for recurring and safe place, one for some small convenience stores and even grocery stores

So even your card is compromised, at least hopefully not your main credit card
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7825 posts
4620 upvotes
West GTEH!
phuviano wrote: So I got my CC compromised again. It seems to happen at least once a year to me. I've had it happen twice a year to me before. I've never had to pay for any of the fraudulent activities, but its just a hassle to change my pre-authourized transactions to a debit or my bank account. Plus I miss out on points until my new card arrives. It always takes like 2 weeks for my new card to arrive. Anyways, enough with my complaining...

Just curious, does this happen to everyone this often? if not, how often does this happen to you?
Which CC?

This year it's happened twice to me also. This is the HomeTrust Visa that I rarely use now. Did use it more in 2018 for travelling.
I've only had compromised CC 3 times in the past 20 years.
Last edited by Webhead on Jul 30th, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
😎
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5828 posts
7191 upvotes
Montreal
phuviano wrote: So I got my CC compromised again. It seems to happen at least once a year to me. I've had it happen twice a year to me before. I've never had to pay for any of the fraudulent activities, but its just a hassle to change my pre-authourized transactions to a debit or my bank account. Plus I miss out on points until my new card arrives. It always takes like 2 weeks for my new card to arrive. Anyways, enough with my complaining...

It has happened to me a few times over the years. Had some fraudulent charges from Amazon (and one or two other online retailers) a few times, and I think that it may be a result of skimmers at U.S. gas stations. I now refuse to pay at the pump at U.S. gas stations; I always go inside.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3331 posts
955 upvotes
Vaughan
Webhead wrote:
Which CC?

This year it's happened twice to me also. This is the HomeTrust Visa that I rarely use now. Did use it more in 2018 for travelling.
I've only had compromised CC 3 times in the past 20 years.
TD First Class Travel infinite. I got this card about 5 years ago. Before that, pretty much had no fraudulent activity. 3 times in 20 years is good from my perspective.

efrant wrote: It has happened to me a few times over the years. Had some fraudulent charges from Amazon (and one or two other online retailers) a few times, and I think that it may be a result of skimmers at U.S. gas stations. I now refuse to pay at the pump at U.S. gas stations; I always go inside.
Yeah in the US, I go inside as well. I got hit with the skimmer in the US as well a few years back. Good thing my debit card was working, because I had very little cash, otherwise I would have been SOL. Makes me wonder, if I should get a second CC in case I'm in a scenario like this again. I usually just bring cash when I travel these days though. I always pay cash inside US gas station now. Simple reason, I don't want to pay the CC exchange fee/rate.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Apr 16, 2020
372 posts
479 upvotes
phuviano wrote: Yeah in the US, I go inside as well. I got hit with the skimmer in the US as well a few years back. Good thing my debit card was working, because I had very little cash, otherwise I would have been SOL. Makes me wonder, if I should get a second CC in case I'm in a scenario like this again. I usually just bring cash when I travel these days though. I always pay cash inside US gas station now. Simple reason, I don't want to pay the CC exchange fee/rate.
In most cases, people end up paying more for foreign cash than using cards, even if they have a 2.5% FTF.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15530 posts
14042 upvotes
Going to the Moon
OP you should have 2+ cards as "daily drivers" on rotation.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2372 posts
1766 upvotes
Montreal, QC
My credit card was compromised once. It was my RBC Westjet World Elite Mastercard

It was during the time that NewEgg.ca was hacked https://www.pcmag.com/news/newegg-hacke ... -card-data and I had made a purchase there prior to the news that they were hacked.

I didn't receive any notice (no phone call or at least no voice mail messages and no email notification) from RBC regarding my card having been hacked and then replacing it. I went to a Dollarama to purchase some snacks and tapped my card. It was refused/declined or gave some sort of "error" message so I tapped it again. The same thing happened. Thinking that I made a lot of purchases recently (a somewhat large online purchase at NewEgg.ca and some small tap&pay purchases) without having to key in a PIN, I inserted my credit card into the machine and keyed in my PIN. The purchase was declined. At that point, since I was holding up the line, I decided to use a different card for the purchase.

When I got back to my desk at work, I called up RBC thinking that my card was damaged. They informed me that it was compromised and they cancelled it. They told me that they will send a new card. They asked me to confirm a few of my last purchases and I confirmed my NewEgg purchase but didn't recognize a lot of purchases after that such as parking, groceries, etc.

The "funny" thing is that I have a notification on all my credit cards (including my RBC Westjet World Elite Mastercard) where any purchase I make will send an email to me and I didn't receive a single notice during the fraudulent activity.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2372 posts
1766 upvotes
Montreal, QC
titaniumtux wrote: OP you should have 2+ cards as "daily drivers" on rotation.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I always have more than 1 credit card with me even when I plan on using only 1 credit card. For example, when I go to the US on vacation, I will generally only use my US dollar credit card but I will still bring at least one of my Canadian dollar credit cards just in case something happens with my US dollar credit card.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7199 posts
2235 upvotes
0 downvotes
I've NEVER had my credit card compromised in my 21 years of owning credit cards. When I was younger I paid cash at the gas stations when all those skimming scams were happening, i also dont use ATM cards, and lately i pay with the tap / contacless where ever possible ,and i put my card into my wallet which has an RFID shield on it
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15530 posts
14042 upvotes
Going to the Moon
GoodFellaz wrote: I've NEVER had my credit card compromised in my 21 years of owning credit cards. When I was younger I paid cash at the gas stations when all those skimming scams were happening, i also dont use ATM cards, and lately i pay with the tap / contacless where ever possible ,and i put my card into my wallet which has an RFID shield on it
What do you do when you have to pay a merchant over the phone?
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7199 posts
2235 upvotes
0 downvotes
titaniumtux wrote: What do you do when you have to pay a merchant over the phone?
use a virtual credit card number from my banks wallet app.
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Apr 16, 2020
372 posts
479 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: What do you do when you have to pay a merchant over the phone?
Are there really merchants that only take payments over the phone? I'd probably just steer clear.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4636 upvotes
Montréal
I've had my CCs compromised ~3-4 times over 30+ years period, I guess? It's frustrating but the prbs are manageable as now I have many pre-authorized setups under my wife's CC (which is rarely used so less susceptible to being scammed). Luckily the bank knows I'm innocent and I was never on the hook and the replacement comes 1 and at most w/i 2 weeks. I have another CC in the meantime in addition to my wife's cards.

Presumably like other ppl here, I don't use my CC at dodgy places, just reg stuff like gas stns, retailers, Amazon, etc. If I had to guess where I got defrauded, I suppose it would be the skimmer scam at the pumps, but who knows?

I read somewhere that tapping is more secure than inserting the card+PIN and in turn better than swiping and signature? I try to do what I can (prefer tapping, cover up # pad when entering PIN) but don't have those CC shield thingys.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15530 posts
14042 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Kneader wrote: Are there really merchants that only take payments over the phone? I'd probably just steer clear.
I guess you could drive over to those merchants, but paying over the phone can be incredibly convenient at times.

When cards are compromised, issuers are generally good at chargebacks except for Robbers bank :lol:
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
20004 posts
5744 upvotes
Scarberia
im lucky too..never had my ccs used without my consent! over 20 years!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4371 posts
3214 upvotes
Edmonton
titaniumtux wrote: When cards are compromised, issuers are generally good at chargebacks except for Robbers bank :lol:
...and except for Home Trust.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37783 posts
23859 upvotes
Center of Universe
Only happened once in 25yrs and it was easily traced to a place of business that was using a skimmer.