Credit Cards

Credit Card devaluation prediction thread.

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2021 8:59 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Member
Apr 25, 2019
309 posts
482 upvotes

Credit Card devaluation prediction thread.

I am starting a thread on which cards do you think would be likely devalued in the near future. What reductions or removal of features do you think will be on the horizon. (i.e. reduced cashback/points earned, removal of insurances, etc.)
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25
49 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
10167 posts
12155 upvotes
Vancouver
Any credit card from any issuer could be nerfed, devalued, or discontinued at any time. What's the point of speculating when we don't have any information? Besides, there are reports of issuers actually following the discussions in this forum. Let’s not give them any ideas.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 16, 2007
1245 posts
1329 upvotes
Excellent point @Kiraly. I predict that Rogers will return their World Elite to its previous 1.75%. Cough cough.
🏦 Banking: Alterna Bank (1.2%, No fees), Motive Financial (1.55%, No fees)
📈 Investing: Scotia iTRADE (XGRO, No fee for buy/sell)
💳 Spending: Scotiabank Amex Gold (5pts dine/3pts drive/1pts, forex), Brim World Mastercard (1.5%, non-Amex spend)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 24, 2017
5291 posts
3786 upvotes
joshnet wrote: Excellent point @Kiraly. I predict that Rogers will return their World Elite to its previous 1.75%. Cough cough.
1.75% on everything, and No FX...
Time flies.....
📱 Telus: $30/25GB Peace of Mind Plan + 1000 International minutes
🎁 Moola: 25% bonus on everyday essentials (Walmart, Esso and Uber Eats)
💳 Credit card combo (2.5 - 10% return): AmEx + Scotiabank + CIBC
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 8, 2009
14085 posts
11735 upvotes
Not Leask
Are we running bets? Let's get an escrow for bets in Bitcoin please :lol:

My predictions...(cards that are currently "too good to be true" by Canadian standards)
  1. gotta nerf Brim basic/world/WE. Something's gonna change
  2. HSBC WE cards - will likely nerf as well
  3. MBNA RWE will likely incur another nerf
  4. Chatr MC should nerf...too good for Canadians!
  5. Tang MC basic. World tier will likely remain status quo but uncapped 2%/3cat on diminishing merch fees for MC...ha
  6. Desjardins Cashback WE...no way they'll leave the 4%/grocery uncapped
  7. Aeroplan suite (three issuers)...they'll probably make earn rates even more categorized...I expect a base earn rate on premium cards to fall to 0.7pts/$1 spent to come closer in line to AmEx Cobalt base in if cashed out on misc statement credit or BMO Eclipse base earn redeemed on travel
  8. PCF...surely they'll find other ways to nerf their offerings...maybe remove into BT offer :lol:
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9237 posts
4521 upvotes
Markham
titaniumtux wrote: Are we running bets? Let's get an escrow for bets in Bitcoin please :lol:

My predictions...(cards that are currently "too good to be true" by Canadian standards)
  1. gotta nerf Brim basic/world/WE. Something's gonna change
  2. HSBC WE cards - will likely nerf as well
  3. MBNA RWE will likely incur another nerf
  4. Chatr MC should nerf...too good for Canadians!
  5. Tang MC basic. World tier will likely remain status quo but uncapped 2%/3cat on diminishing merch fees for MC...ha
  6. Desjardins Cashback WE...no way they'll leave the 4%/grocery uncapped
  7. Aeroplan suite (three issuers)...they'll probably make earn rates even more categorized...I expect a base earn rate on premium cards to fall to 0.7pts/$1 spent to come closer in line to AmEx Cobalt base in if cashed out on misc statement credit or BMO Eclipse base earn redeemed on travel
  8. PCF...surely they'll find other ways to nerf their offerings...maybe remove into BT offer :lol:
There is a saying "be careful what you wish for", is that the reason you didn't mention CTFS Triangle? ;)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 24, 2017
5291 posts
3786 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: Are we running bets? Let's get an escrow for bets in Bitcoin please :lol:

My predictions...(cards that are currently "too good to be true" by Canadian standards)
  1. gotta nerf Brim basic/world/WE. Something's gonna change
  2. HSBC WE cards - will likely nerf as well
  3. MBNA RWE will likely incur another nerf
  4. Chatr MC should nerf...too good for Canadians!
  5. Tang MC basic. World tier will likely remain status quo but uncapped 2%/3cat on diminishing merch fees for MC...ha
  6. Desjardins Cashback WE...no way they'll leave the 4%/grocery uncapped
  7. Aeroplan suite (three issuers)...they'll probably make earn rates even more categorized...I expect a base earn rate on premium cards to fall to 0.7pts/$1 spent to come closer in line to AmEx Cobalt base in if cashed out on misc statement credit or BMO Eclipse base earn redeemed on travel
  8. PCF...surely they'll find other ways to nerf their offerings...maybe remove into BT offer :lol:
Devaluation on MBNA RWE is not going to happen. It is the only non-Amex card giving 2% on everything in Canada. Disappointed But Relieved Face
📱 Telus: $30/25GB Peace of Mind Plan + 1000 International minutes
🎁 Moola: 25% bonus on everyday essentials (Walmart, Esso and Uber Eats)
💳 Credit card combo (2.5 - 10% return): AmEx + Scotiabank + CIBC
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 16, 2019
960 posts
974 upvotes
EdisonL299 wrote: Devaluation on MBNA RWE is not going to happen. It is the only non-Amex card giving 2% on everything in Canada. Disappointed But Relieved Face
Also Brim WE.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 24, 2017
5291 posts
3786 upvotes
someweirdo wrote: Also Brim WE.
25K caps, $199 + $50/card annual fee make it difficult to keep after 1st year.

In comparison, MBNA RWE: unlimited 2% on everything, $120 annual fee and free on additional cards.
📱 Telus: $30/25GB Peace of Mind Plan + 1000 International minutes
🎁 Moola: 25% bonus on everyday essentials (Walmart, Esso and Uber Eats)
💳 Credit card combo (2.5 - 10% return): AmEx + Scotiabank + CIBC
Sr. Member
Apr 23, 2017
994 posts
1717 upvotes
Issuers seem to be trying to hide devaluations behind a smokescreen of bonus earn rates on some categories.

My spend in base non-bonus categories is over 60% of total, so while bonus categories are nice, nerfing the base earn rate erases all the category gains and then some.

I was just reading about BMO nerfing the base earn on the Cashback W.E. MC and calling it an improvement due to decent bonus category earn hobbled by ridiculously low monthly bonus category caps.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
5486 posts
3554 upvotes
HermanH wrote: Issuers seem to be trying to hide devaluations behind a smokescreen of bonus earn rates on some categories.

My spend in base non-bonus categories is over 60% of total, so while bonus categories are nice, nerfing the base earn rate erases all the category gains and then some.

I was just reading about BMO nerfing the base earn on the Cashback W.E. MC and calling it an improvement due to decent bonus category earn hobbled by ridiculously low monthly bonus category caps.
What is bmo card changing to? I didnt see anything on this...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9237 posts
4521 upvotes
Markham
Kiraly wrote: At first I was excited about the 5% on groceries...but it’s capped at $500/month and then 1%? No thanks
Because you are not downtown single hipster :)
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 8, 2009
14085 posts
11735 upvotes
Not Leask
smartie wrote: There is a saying "be careful what you wish for", is that the reason you didn't mention CTFS Triangle? ;)
CTFS can be a funny issuer. If they "devalue" anything, it's by removing super awesome payees from their bill pay. One could try all they want about that, but wouldn't do it in the threads here since it's all top secret MS tricks. As for product offerings...they've been real slow at changing anything. Theoretically, they already "nerfed" the basic Down-pointing Red TriangleMC, but we at RFD all have the WE tier card so it doesn't matter.
EdisonL299 wrote: Devaluation on MBNA RWE is not going to happen. It is the only non-Amex card giving 2% on everything in Canada. Disappointed But Relieved Face
Image

OMG, you mean TD/MBNA doesn't nerf its MBNA product offerings?

I
Am
Lost
For
Words...
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 29, 2012
6858 posts
5546 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: CTFS can be a funny issuer. If they "devalue" anything, it's by removing super awesome payees from their bill pay. One could try all they want about that, but wouldn't do it in the threads here since it's all top secret MS tricks. As for product offerings...they've been real slow at changing anything. Theoretically, they already "nerfed" the basic Down-pointing Red TriangleMC, but we at RFD all have the WE tier card so it doesn't matter.



Image

OMG, you mean TD/MBNA doesn't nerf its MBNA product offerings?

I
Am
Lost
For
Words...
I really don't think that CTFS will remove the bill pay feature. They make too much money on interest from it.

They already devalued the Triangle card earnings in the everything else category, so I doubt further downgrades are coming.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 8, 2009
14085 posts
11735 upvotes
Not Leask
Poutinesauce wrote: I really don't think that CTFS will remove the bill pay feature. They make too much money on interest from it.

They already devalued the Triangle card earnings in the everything else category, so I doubt further downgrades are coming.
Remove the bill pay feature? No. That's the candy they throw to lure cardholders. Remove certain payees? Very likely, especially when some ppl are cycling five figures monthly through those payees via MS :lol:
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9237 posts
4521 upvotes
Markham
Somehow i feel among big banks, only Scotia and TD have decent cards line up

Top