Credit Cards

Credit Card Recommendation RE: No foreign transaction fee (not HomeTrust Visa = no more cashback!!!)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2019 1:11 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 5, 2005
524 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto

Credit Card Recommendation RE: No foreign transaction fee (not HomeTrust Visa = no more cashback!!!)

Can anyone recommend me of a credit card without any foreign transaction fees with some kind of cashback (cb) incentive?

FYI: Just got by mail that the HomeTrust Visa credit card will no longer be offering cashback on the "foreign transaction fees" effective Jan 1, 2020! v_v

There's no longer any incentive to use this credit card. It was a pain to get it so brings back bad memories... I've currently switched most of my charges to my Amex Preferred ($100 annual fee - $50 credit) for the 5% [=5.0 - 2.5 (amex fee) = 2.5%] cb for foreign purchases bc of their transaction fees). It's just that not a lot of places (esp Chinese restaurants) accept Amex and will need a backup.

My current backup is Walmart's Mastercard for the 1% which is useful for everything else but would love your opinions / expertise. I already own Tangerine's Mastercard (categories: grocery, gas, transit / re-occurring bills --> switched to Amex Preferred for 6-m; idk what the my 3rd category should be now).

Preference:
- no annual fee or less than $100 / first year waived;
- cashback - onto statement; (please, don't recommend Rogers Mastercard... I'm anti-Rogers so don't use any of their products. Redeeming those points was a terrible experience almost as bad as their customer service reps.)
- bonus / incentives (not really into collecting aeroplan points, I know Visa Infinite has a bonus thing going on but bleh... ^^; too many restrictions on those points... Lost 6,000 points bc it was inactive ;_; )

Thanks for your input!
27 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8110 posts
4075 upvotes
Did you consider the Rogers World Elite Mastercard? There is a f/x transaction fee BUT you get 4% cashback on your foreign transactions which kind of makes up for it.
Mar 31, 2015
121 posts
64 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
choclover wrote: Did you consider the Rogers World Elite Mastercard? There is a f/x transaction fee BUT you get 4% cashback on your foreign transactions which kind of makes up for it.
Guy specifically says no Rogers. Grinning Face I guess you skipped his post because it was too long? Thinking Face
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5362 posts
1557 upvotes
Toronto
choclover wrote: Did you consider the Rogers World Elite Mastercard? There is a f/x transaction fee BUT you get 4% cashback on your foreign transactions which kind of makes up for it.
It doesn't "kind of" make up for it - it completely makes up for it. The Rogers card is effectively ~1.5% cash back on all forex transactions, which is generally accepted here to be the best card for using abroad.

Brim is another option, and Stack and Revolut for prepaid, but if you want the most effective solution you likely just have to put aside your hatred of Rogers and get their card. If it makes you feel better their cash redemption system is incredibly simple via the app.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
3545 posts
4376 upvotes
Montreal
gei wrote: [snip]

The Rogers card is effectively ~1.5% cash back on all forex transactions, which is generally accepted here to be the best card for using abroad.
I wouldn't go as far as saying that. For my purposes, the Rogers card is a terrible card for using abroad. The vast majority of my non-CAD purchases are travel expenses (airline tickets, hotels, resorts, etc.) -- if I need to cancel and re-book anything, I will lose the 2.5% I paid initially with the Rogers card, because the card still charges you the f/x fee. Additionally, I personally wouldn't consider the insurance offering on the Rogers card good compared to say the Scotia Passport Infinite, which is for me is a better option for a travel card, despite the potentially lower average earn rate.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5362 posts
1557 upvotes
Toronto
efrant wrote: I wouldn't go as far as saying that. For my purposes, the Rogers card is a terrible card for using abroad. The vast majority of my non-CAD purchases are travel expenses (airline tickets, hotels, resorts, etc.) -- if I need to cancel and re-book anything, I will lose the 2.5% I paid initially with the Rogers card, because the card still charges you the f/x fee. Additionally, I personally wouldn't consider the insurance offering on the Rogers card good compared to say the Scotia Passport Infinite, which is for me is a better option for a travel card, despite the potentially lower average earn rate.
Things like airline tickets and hotels can usually be purchased in your local currency using anyway using flight/hotel aggregators like expedia, etc - in which case I just use my amex platinum for their superior insurance. It's incredibly rare you would ever cancel a plane ticket anyway. I'm talking about expenses incurred when you are already abroad - ie food, entertainment, etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
3545 posts
4376 upvotes
Montreal
gei wrote: Things like airline tickets and hotels can usually be purchased in your local currency using anyway using flight/hotel aggregators like expedia, etc - in which case I just use my amex platinum for their superior insurance. It's incredibly rare you would ever cancel a plane ticket anyway. I'm talking about expenses incurred when you are already abroad - ie food, entertainment, etc.
I personally never use online travel agencies -- I always book hotels, flights, car rentals, and everything else with the companies directly. And as I said, most of my non-CAD purchases are travel expenses. (I understand that others have a different mix of non-CAD categories.)

Scotia Passport Infinite gives you 2.0% on food and entertainment, with no f/x fee, compared to Rogers' 1.5%.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1803 posts
355 upvotes
It's too bad as this has been my out of country card.
Not much incentive if no cash back on foreign purchases.
Looking for alternative Visa with no AF, no fx fee and cash back.
But will keep for backup.
As for US Costco, will buy cash card b4 trip.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14081 posts
11731 upvotes
Not Leask
OP, you really should get into US issued CC's.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Jul 3, 2019
723 posts
310 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: OP, you really should get into US issued CC's.
I wish I knew the process (hassle free) to get the Amex Hilton card. I’d have gotten so many Hilton Honors bonus points by now. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14081 posts
11731 upvotes
Not Leask
F3el96 wrote: I wish I knew the process (hassle free) to get the Amex Hilton card. I’d have gotten so many Hilton Honors bonus points by now. Face With Tears Of Joy
Nothing good comes "hassle-free".

With 6+ months afaik on Canadian AmEx, you can GT to a US AmEx Hilton (or any in-market) card. You'll need a stateside deposit account to pay off the card balance. Big banks here offer okay stateside deposit accounts, or you can sign up with a truly American bank. You can use an array of services to buy USD and dump 'em stateside.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8110 posts
4075 upvotes
ToniB1 wrote: Guy specifically says no Rogers. Grinning Face I guess you skipped his post because it was too long? Thinking Face
Yes, my bad. Sorry. :(
Dec 8, 2017
506 posts
236 upvotes
Just get the brim, it also gives 2$ for Amazon, Netflix and Spotify. Also gives a lot more cashback on a whole range of products through their estore.
Feb 10, 2018
118 posts
131 upvotes
efrant wrote: You can choose from the list of cards here, depending on the features you want: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/list-cr ... s-2122295/
OP everything you needed is in this link, you just had to look at it instead of creating a new thread (it's literally the first item in the post).

Based on your preferences, you have one option: Brim no fee. Your other contenders are the Scotia cards (Passport VI or Gold) or HSBC's offerings.
Sep 17, 2018
97 posts
131 upvotes
ON
Or go next level and get over the rogers hate so you can help yourself. It's okay to make money you can redeem anytime on their tab, just dont accrue interest :P
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
5288 posts
3781 upvotes
Rogers WE gives you 1.5% on foreign transactions, and it beats most other cards. Because you hate it, you should get this card to earn cash back from Rogers.
📱 Telus: $30/25GB Peace of Mind Plan + 1000 International minutes
🎁 Moola: 25% bonus on everyday essentials (Walmart, Esso and Uber Eats)
💳 Credit card combo (2.5 - 10% return): AmEx + Scotiabank + CIBC
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14081 posts
11731 upvotes
Not Leask
ovoovo wrote: Or go next level and get over the rogers hate so you can help yourself. It's okay to make money you can redeem anytime on their tab, just dont accrue interest :P
EdisonL299 wrote: Rogers WE gives you 1.5% on foreign transactions, and it beats most other cards. Because you hate it, you should get this card to earn cash back from Rogers.
Or wait for Bell to launch a VISA Infinite (maybe co-branded with RBC)...3% FTF, $120 AF, 5% return on Bell bills on pre-tax amount, billing with intro or loyalty offers excluded from accelerator. Cellphone and TV setopbox extended warranty exclusions as well :lol:
Nov 14, 2010
958 posts
226 upvotes
angelove wrote: Can anyone recommend me of a credit card without any foreign transaction fees with some kind of cashback (cb) incentive?

FYI: Just got by mail that the HomeTrust Visa credit card will no longer be offering cashback on the "foreign transaction fees" effective Jan 1, 2020! v_v

There's no longer any incentive to use this credit card. It was a pain to get it so brings back bad memories... I've currently switched most of my charges to my Amex Preferred ($100 annual fee - $50 credit) for the 5% [=5.0 - 2.5 (amex fee) = 2.5%] cb for foreign purchases bc of their transaction fees). It's just that not a lot of places (esp Chinese restaurants) accept Amex and will need a backup.

My current backup is Walmart's Mastercard for the 1% which is useful for everything else but would love your opinions / expertise. I already own Tangerine's Mastercard (categories: grocery, gas, transit / re-occurring bills --> switched to Amex Preferred for 6-m; idk what the my 3rd category should be now).

Preference:
- no annual fee or less than $100 / first year waived;
- cashback - onto statement; (please, don't recommend Rogers Mastercard... I'm anti-Rogers so don't use any of their products. Redeeming those points was a terrible experience almost as bad as their customer service reps.)
- bonus / incentives (not really into collecting aeroplan points, I know Visa Infinite has a bonus thing going on but bleh... ^^; too many restrictions on those points... Lost 6,000 points bc it was inactive ;_; )

Thanks for your input!
If you're really against Rogers, Brim is probably your best bet for a 0% FTF card.

Pros:
-No FTF (no penalty for refunds unlike Rogers)
-1% Cash back on all purchases, including foreign purchases
-2% on Amazon, Netflix, etc
-Easy Cashback rewards through the app with low threshold
-Compatible with Google Pay and Apple pay

Cons:
-Usually have to send a bill to prove who you are during application process
-Very slow to approve / send out card
Apr 2, 2019
616 posts
514 upvotes
Dogsville
angelove wrote: Can anyone recommend me of a credit card without any foreign transaction fees with some kind of cashback (cb) incentive?
Thanks for your input!

just bite the bullet bro - go classic and use that TD Rewards card!
Incentive is slow but steady! I have 3 of them.
Last edited by hotsince83 on Dec 20th, 2019 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
💳: TD Rewards Visa 🤣