Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
562 posts
66 upvotes
Edmonton

Credit card refund issue and consumer protection

-Purchased an item on jan 18. $162 using the credit card + $150 gift card.

-Returned the item on Jan 20. Store refunded "all" $312 back to my credit card instead of giving me $150 gift card + remaining balance back to my credit card. They made a mistake and I haven't even thought about it until today.

-It has been 3 weeks and I haven't got my credit back to my card.

-Spoke to the store manager on the phone. She said everything looks right on their end and not going to do anything as credit was already issued. I just stopped by the store and talked to the assistant manager. Asked her if she can show me the invoice or any document showing that the refund transaction was actually approved but she said she can't due to the "privacy issue" which I cant really understand.

-Contacted master card. They said I can only dispute $162 as that was the original amount even thought I have a receipt showing $312 back to my credit card. Credit card company advised me to contact consumer protection. And I assume it will take a long time to get my money back.

a few questions here

1.Anybody has experience with protection act? how was your experience?

2.Store manage said it's impossible to see my order detail in their system(I don't understand) and also can't show me the transaction invoice due to privacy reason. Is this true? Can I ask them to show me the proof? 3. what else can I do? I am really stuck now.

This is so frustrating..I have the receipt but nobody will do anything.
Last edited by hogujak on Feb 9th, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2005
1033 posts
741 upvotes
Mississauga
hogujak wrote: Credit card company advised me to contact customer protection act.

The consumer Protection Act (in Ontario known as the Consumer Protection Act, 2002, S.O. 2002, c. 30, Sched. A ) is a statute and associated regulations.

Not sure how you 'contact it'. :-)

PHT
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3538 posts
1622 upvotes
Ottawa
If it's a larger chain message them on Facebook or Twitter. Or just ask for the managers district managers contact information to discuss the irregularities occurring with their transactions. Someone's ears will perk up.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
562 posts
66 upvotes
Edmonton
shylok wrote: If it's a larger chain message them on Facebook or Twitter. Or just ask for the managers district managers contact information to discuss the irregularities occurring with their transactions. Someone's ears will perk up.
I met the assistant manager today and she said she can't give me the district manager info. All she did was sent an email to someone(not even sure) and asked to double check my transaction.

I will try the facebook or twitter. It is extremely shady that the store doesn't show me anything like original order detail or transaction invoice. They just keep saying everything is done on their end...It is really strange.
Jul 9, 2016
671 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
that does sound like a nightmare.

but i have done similar refunds, or refunds onto cards that didnt make the purchase, etc.

sometimes it can just take a while for the refund to appear on your card, sometimes its as fast as an online bill payment, but sometimes they have to process it manualy, like the business has to mail a cheque to the different banks and they do it once a month. if you have the terminal receipt showing refund approved, i would just wait it out.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
562 posts
66 upvotes
Edmonton
SuperSauvage wrote: that does sound like a nightmare.

but i have done similar refunds, or refunds onto cards that didnt make the purchase, etc.

sometimes it can just take a while for the refund to appear on your card, sometimes its as fast as an online bill payment, but sometimes they have to process it manualy, like the business has to mail a cheque to the different banks and they do it once a month. if you have the terminal receipt showing refund approved, i would just wait it out.
I just talked to my friend who used to be a store manager. He said managers go through all refund receipts and manually approve the transaction before store closing. So theoratically terminal receipt means nothing if the manager doesnt approve. In my case, the manager probably noticed that full amount was issued to my credit card instead of gift card + credit card refund so she rejected the refund transaction. At lease that's what I think. I have returned items to this store and it usually took less than a week until i see the credit on my account.
This is what I found after reading reviews about this store. This location ( edmonton buybuy baby) is famous for cancelling orders or not even placing the order after getting money from the customers. Also they won't contact customers until customers call and visit the store to find out what's going on.

Managers are really shady. They refused to show me any document for my refund transaction. She even refused to show me the initial order detail due to "privacy issue". Total BS. There is invoice# on my refund receipt and she can simply show me the invoice if she actually approved it. But she won't do that.

Anyways, I will try BBB (low expectation..), district manager, consumer protection, social media or local tv station. Its only $300 but I just can't let this shady manager get away from it.

So mad that I have already wasted so much time for something I shouldn't even worry about.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35645 posts
21732 upvotes
Center of Universe
There's a pending $312 refund to your credit card; just wait it out.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1939 posts
751 upvotes
I think that it is irrelevant if your original purchase was made using both a GC and a CC. The issue is that they refunded your CC a certain amount, but the money is still not there. So, this is what I'd be pushing for, and hang on to your refund receipt!
Some weird thing happened to me not long ago. Instead of issuing a refund the store actually charged me the same amount... Have no idea what I'd do if I did not have a receipt showing this refund.
Good luck.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
562 posts
66 upvotes
Edmonton
mbmbkop wrote: I think that it is irrelevant if your original purchase was made using both a GC and a CC. The issue is that they refunded your CC a certain amount, but the money is still not there. So, this is what I'd be pushing for, and hang on to your refund receipt!
Some weird thing happened to me not long ago. Instead of issuing a refund the store actually charged me the same amount... Have no idea what I'd do if I did not have a receipt showing this refund.
Good luck.
This issue could have been solved easily if the store refunded it correctly (CC$162+GC$150) as I can just ask my credit card company to charge back($162). Credit card company will go after for the initial amount ($162) not $302 even thought I have the receipt.

My mistake was to let them keep the original receipt. Not sure why but they wanted to keep it and I didnt think its a big deal as I have the redund receipt. Now the manager refuses to show me my order detail showing the method of payment(really fishy).

Store doesnt want to do anything to fix it.
I bet the store manager didnt approve the refund when she noticed they refunded it wrong. I will have to contact the district manager or head office.
Dec 14, 2009
104 posts
57 upvotes
Kanata
hogujak wrote: This issue could have been solved easily if the store refunded it correctly (CC$162+GC$150) as I can just ask my credit card company to charge back($162). Credit card company will go after for the initial amount ($162) not $302 even thought I have the receipt.

My mistake was to let them keep the original receipt. Not sure why but they wanted to keep it and I didnt think its a big deal as I have the redund receipt. Now the manager refuses to show me my order detail showing the method of payment(really fishy).

Store doesnt want to do anything to fix it.
I bet the store manager didnt approve the refund when she noticed they refunded it wrong. I will have to contact the district manager or head office.
Why don't you just show your credit card company the refund receipt and ask why the money is not credited to your account?
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
562 posts
66 upvotes
Edmonton
jeromeh66 wrote: Why don't you just show your credit card company the refund receipt and ask why the money is not credited to your account?
See my original post. I called them multiple times and spoke at least 3 different reps. They will only go after the amount that was initially charged by the store which is $162 in this case. Even thought I have a refund receipt for $312 they wont do anything for $150 that i spent using the gift card.
Dec 13, 2014
105 posts
56 upvotes
Niagara Region
hogujak wrote: See my original post. I called them multiple times and spoke at least 3 different reps. They will only go after the amount that was initially charged by the store which is $162 in this case. Even thought I have a refund receipt for $312 they wont do anything for $150 that i spent using the gift card.

Who is the issuer of your credit card ?