Credit Cards

Which credit cards are easy to get with low (or zero) income?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2017 8:39 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 11, 2013
860 posts
142 upvotes
BC

Which credit cards are easy to get with low (or zero) income?

Hi All,

My spouse is currently not working and she holds a few credit cards from the past. She applied for RBC westjet and Scotia Amex, both denied - RBC was denied online. Scotia Amex asked for T4 to verify income which we couldn't do.

I'm wondering what other cards can we apply. She had Amex Gold that just recently cancelled. Her CS is over 770+

We don't need credit if anyone is wondering, just wanted to take advantage of bonuses :)

Edit: I also have credit cards.
Last edited by Pursuit2013 on Oct 20th, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36018 posts
22160 upvotes
Center of Universe
Why is she applying for all of these cards and not you?
[OP]
Feb 11, 2013
860 posts
142 upvotes
BC
vkizzle wrote: Why is she applying for all of these cards and not you?
Valid question. I have been as well ..but her credit score is 770+ so we thought why not check out some cards?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36018 posts
22160 upvotes
Center of Universe
Pursuit2013 wrote: Valid question. I have been as well ..but her credit score is 770+ so we thought why not check out some cards?
Unfortunately, having a good score doesn't negate income requirements.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3103 posts
1523 upvotes
American Express cards ( non-Scotia ) all don't have an income requirement as you've found out. None of them have income requirements. Note that it's up to you whether you consider your income as "the family" income or not. Some on RFD just use the combined income of the couple when salary is asked, especially if the application doesn't specifically ask for your spouse's income.
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K AGAIN! | Plat 60K | Biz Gold 40K | Gold 25K | SPG 20K
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1467 posts
464 upvotes
atomiton wrote: American Express cards ( non-Scotia ) all don't have an income requirement as you've found out. None of them have income requirements. Note that it's up to you whether you consider your income as "the family" income or not. Some on RFD just use the combined income of the couple when salary is asked, especially if the application doesn't specifically ask for your spouse's income.
Amex doesn't have income requirements anymore but they still ask in the application.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3103 posts
1523 upvotes
wra45mon wrote: Amex doesn't have income requirements anymore but they still ask in the application.
Yep. Of course they're going to still ask in the application they still want to know what kind of income is that their customers have after all. More information that they have the better it is for them to target certain consumers over others
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K AGAIN! | Plat 60K | Biz Gold 40K | Gold 25K | SPG 20K
Sep 4, 2017
476 posts
141 upvotes
Does Scotiabank ask income verification solely because someone is not a client of theirs or they ask random clients too. Just curious and asking.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2461 posts
889 upvotes
Winnipeg
I believe the original concept of buying on credit is to pay it later. So if you have no income today, the argument is how can you pay it later? and why do you need credit? and no, getting welcome points, churning is unfortunately not the answer CC companies want to hear Face With Tears Of Joy

welcome bonus is a trap laid to meet their original goal. even if companies like AMEX dont really rely on interest fees, they still want to have a decently earning client so that the spending portion is there. companies also have the complimentary card concept.

so really, there is no free lunch of welcome bonuses here for the non-earning spouses. also, there is that risk of what if there is a divorce/ split, etc. maybe they have done some actuarials and found out that the risk is too much.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36018 posts
22160 upvotes
Center of Universe
lola99 wrote: Does Scotiabank ask income verification solely because someone is not a client of theirs or they ask random clients too. Just curious and asking.
I was required to prove my income when I applied for the Momentum Visa Infinite.
Pain in the butt, as I had to go into the branch twice.
Sep 4, 2017
476 posts
141 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: I was required to prove my income when I applied for the Momentum Visa Infinite.
Pain in the butt, as I had to go into the branch twice.
When you applied were you already doing banking or had an account with them?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36018 posts
22160 upvotes
Center of Universe
lola99 wrote: When you applied were you already doing banking or had an account with them?
No, I was not a customer at the time.