Personal Finance

Credit Report Has No SIN?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2021 6:37 pm
[OP]
Newbie
May 16, 2021
4 posts

Credit Report Has No SIN?

I was wondering why the equifax credit report shows no SIN?
Is a credit report attached to someone's SIN? Does credit bureaus have everyone's SINs?
15 replies
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1837 posts
2333 upvotes
Depends what you mean by "show':
- Are you getting a report directly from Equifax, online "dashboard"? Or, via Borrowell or some other means? If the former, do you mean the entry for SIN is blank? If the latter, it isn't shown at all for privacy reasons.

The credit report is "associated" with the SIN as one part of identity verification, it isn't mandatory but it will be more challenging to access your credit report without a SIN associated.

A credit file can exist without a SIN, therefore, not "everyone" has their SIN on file with a credit bureau but the vast majority do because most credit granters will "request" a SIN to issue credit - but there are exceptions.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7039 posts
3269 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Even if on EQ or TU report they only show few digits.
.......
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
12673 posts
9289 upvotes
Edmonton
pastaui4 wrote: I was wondering why the equifax credit report shows no SIN?
Is a credit report attached to someone's SIN? Does credit bureaus have everyone's SINs?
Your SIN is a government issued identification number. The only time you're legally required to provide it is for certain government situations, like providing to your employer so your income can be properly tracked. You're not legally required to provide it for obtaining credit.
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... ion-2.html

However, an organization isn't required to provide you credit (whether you provide your SIN or not). And if they can't verify any credit history because you refuse to provide your SIN, your only recourse is to keep shopping for credit.

C
[OP]
Newbie
May 16, 2021
4 posts
robsaw wrote: Depends what you mean by "show':
- Are you getting a report directly from Equifax, online "dashboard"? Or, via Borrowell or some other means? If the former, do you mean the entry for SIN is blank? If the latter, it isn't shown at all for privacy reasons.

The credit report is "associated" with the SIN as one part of identity verification, it isn't mandatory but it will be more challenging to access your credit report without a SIN associated.

A credit file can exist without a SIN, therefore, not "everyone" has their SIN on file with a credit bureau but the vast majority do because most credit granters will "request" a SIN to issue credit - but there are exceptions.
It shows that the SIN entry is blank.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8078 posts
3379 upvotes
Financial District B…
pastaui4 wrote: I was wondering why the equifax credit report shows no SIN?
Is a credit report attached to someone's SIN? Does credit bureaus have everyone's SINs?
You SIN number only acts as a 'primary identifier' during the match protocol process.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
[OP]
Newbie
May 16, 2021
4 posts
georvu wrote: Even if on EQ or TU report they only show few digits.
For the online report, if I didn't fill out the SIN number part (optional part), is it supposed to show part of my SIN still? I noticed that the SIN field is empty on my credit report.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7039 posts
3269 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
pastaui4 wrote: For the online report, if I didn't fill out the SIN number part (optional part), is it supposed to show part of my SIN still? I noticed that the SIN field is empty on my credit report.
May not be on file so no worries.
.......
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Newbie
May 26, 2021
2 posts
I just checked mine and don't show in report. I have given them mine before and they have on file for sure.
Member
User avatar
Mar 28, 2008
227 posts
208 upvotes
At EQ/TU, if you obtain a credit report, it should show the last 3-digits of your SIN #, If there is no SIN at the report, then it means EQ/TU did not have this information on file.

For example, if there are 100 "Peter Pan" in Canada, usually the first identifier will be the SIN because it is a 9-digits unique #. Sometimes you may notice there are some people who have unknown records from other people with the same name, a credit file without SIN# may have this kind of issue. It is best to check your credit report to ensure all personal information is correct and up to date.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8078 posts
3379 upvotes
Financial District B…
ccya965041 wrote: At EQ/TU, if you obtain a credit report, it should show the last 3-digits of your SIN #, If there is no SIN at the report, then it means EQ/TU did not have this information on file.
No no, never.
I will state again, SIN number is nothing more than an identifier for match protocol. It has no credit worthy purpose. Does not tell us if you're a good payer or bad payer.
Problem with shown SINS is that hackers can guess ones SIN too easily if last 3 digits are known.

There's usually no guessing to first digits based on where applicant first applied for SIN (or born)
1= NB,NFLD,NS,PEI, 2+3 = Quebec, 4+5 = Ontario, 6 = AB, MB, SK, NT, NU, 7 = BC, YU
All of this info is common knowledge to all lenders/FI's plus easily searchable online.
Plus there are calc hack programs that can expose the SIN using 12 and 21 number sequences
Lastly, because the SIN number is used as a qualifier for various benefits from Provincial/Federal Government it should not be so easily accessible
Even if an applicant did apply with SIN, the credit bureau entities will have it coded on file anyways even if not shown
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Member
User avatar
Mar 28, 2008
227 posts
208 upvotes
mikeymike1 wrote: No no, never.
I will state again, SIN number is nothing more than an identifier for match protocol. It has no credit worthy purpose. Does not tell us if you're a good payer or bad payer.
Problem with shown SINS is that hackers can guess ones SIN too easily if last 3 digits are known.

There's usually no guessing to first digits based on where applicant first applied for SIN (or born)
1= NB,NFLD,NS,PEI, 2+3 = Quebec, 4+5 = Ontario, 6 = AB, MB, SK, NT, NU, 7 = BC, YU
All of this info is common knowledge to all lenders/FI's plus easily searchable online.
Plus there are calc hack programs that can expose the SIN using 12 and 21 number sequences
Lastly, because the SIN number is used as a qualifier for various benefits from Provincial/Federal Government it should not be so easily accessible
Even if an applicant did apply with SIN, the credit bureau entities will have it coded on file anyways even if not shown
Thank you for your information. I double-checked my recent credit score with EQ/TU, I can confirm the first and last 3 digits can be seen in "Personal Information" section with EQ, while TU only shows last 3-digits, these information appears to be very easy to access online after all the checks. (They asked quite a bit of questions in order to obtain credit report)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8078 posts
3379 upvotes
Financial District B…
ccya965041 wrote: Thank you for your information. I double-checked my recent credit score with EQ/TU, I can confirm the first and last 3 digits can be seen in "Personal Information" section with EQ, while TU only shows last 3-digits, these information appears to be very easy to access online after all the checks. (They asked quite a bit of questions in order to obtain credit report)
Yes that's correct, will see 123 XXX 456. No need to show the entire SIN for on file security reasons.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
[OP]
Newbie
May 16, 2021
4 posts
ccya965041 wrote: Thank you for your information. I double-checked my recent credit score with EQ/TU, I can confirm the first and last 3 digits can be seen in "Personal Information" section with EQ, while TU only shows last 3-digits, these information appears to be very easy to access online after all the checks. (They asked quite a bit of questions in order to obtain credit report)
For Equifax, it showed the first/last 3 digits in the online report or physical report?
Member
User avatar
Mar 28, 2008
227 posts
208 upvotes
pastaui4 wrote: For Equifax, it showed the first/last 3 digits in the online report or physical report?
Correct, as per my previous reply and @mikeymike1 reply. I would suggest you should set up a strong password when you obtain a credit report with EQ.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 18, 2005
20312 posts
4831 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
pastaui4 wrote: I was wondering why the equifax credit report shows no SIN?
Is a credit report attached to someone's SIN? Does credit bureaus have everyone's SINs?
They have your SIN, but they don't provide it back in plaintext because someone else could get a hold of it and use it for identity theft.
- casual gastronomist -

Top