Personal Finance

credit score down almost 90 points - missed a bill payment for which no bill was provided to me

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2018 1:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5206 posts
316 upvotes
Markham

credit score down almost 90 points - missed a bill payment for which no bill was provided to me

Long story short...i had a koodo account which I closed down during the summer after transferring to someone else...was told would get a final bill in the mail (over the phone as part of the closure process)

That did not happen...in August I realized there was a balance, so I set about paying it (paid it on August 24, balance was due on August 20). I paid the exact amount owing.

Fast forward to today, and I get an email from credit karma saying my bureau is showing a late payment...log in and figure out its koodo...which is $7 late payment fee from Koodo outstanding from August and is now 30-59 days late.

My score has really gone down almost 100 points (from mid 800 to mid 700 - so it shouldnt have any real effect on me i dont think, but still).

Is there anyhing I can do to fight this? In neither occasion did I ever get a bill. I am set up per my koodo profile to to get bills sent to me by text or email...neither of which has ever happened.

Is there anything I can do about this? What is my best bet to resolve this and repair my score?
22 replies
Oct 27, 2018
115 posts
48 upvotes
I'm sorry to hear about it.

Koodo sent the information to the credit bureau. You should contact them and ask about the process of disputing the claim made to your credit report. If a situation is unique and has merit, they may send a correction to the credit bureau. Typically it is an uphill battle so be prepared for the worst.

Other than that, minimize credit inquires and minimize the utilization % of credit.

A hit like this (did not go to collections) should typically recover in 1 years from where I read on other forums.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2761 posts
2104 upvotes
I assume that you have paid the $7 late fee and your balance is now $0.

Your best course of action is to write to Koodo. Explain your situation and how you were told that you would receive a final bill but did not. Explain the steps that you took to pay the bill and how disappointing it was that Koodo did not send you a final bill. Request that Koodo reverse the $7 late payment charge and that it remove the derogatory report on your credit report as it was caused by their omission.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5206 posts
316 upvotes
Markham
skeet50 wrote: I assume that you have paid the $7 late fee and your balance is now $0.

Your best course of action is to write to Koodo. Explain your situation and how you were told that you would receive a final bill but did not. Explain the steps that you took to pay the bill and how disappointing it was that Koodo did not send you a final bill. Request that Koodo reverse the $7 late payment charge and that it remove the derogatory report on your credit report as it was caused by their omission.
thanks...would you literally suggest writing, or would you call in first?
Jun 13, 2018
607 posts
445 upvotes
adeel wrote: thanks...would you literally suggest writing, or would you call in first?
Always in writing. That method leaves no chance for misunderstandings & documents your request and their response
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30303 posts
16142 upvotes
Ottawa
Don't seat it...it will bounce back up in no time.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
6150 posts
5509 upvotes
Here on earth
skeet50 wrote: I assume that you have paid the $7 late fee and your balance is now $0.

+1
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
10137 posts
6435 upvotes
Edmonton
If you look at the terms and conditions of your Koodo contract, I’d bet it says that you’re responsible for paying your bill even if you didn’t get one. So you can ask them to pull the derogatory item, but they’ll be doing you a favour if they do. So keep that in mind when you think about how you want to talk to them.

C
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10230 posts
1515 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote: If you look at the terms and conditions of your Koodo contract, I’d bet it says that you’re responsible for paying your bill even if you didn’t get one. So you can ask them to pull the derogatory item, but they’ll be doing you a favour if they do. So keep that in mind when you think about how you want to talk to them.

C
This. Unless your 85+ and starting to forget things that’s one thing. But I don’t get how anyone nowadays doesn’t pay a bill simply because they forgot about it.

Perfect example of why it’s your fault (in their understanding I mean) is because whenever canadapost threatens to go on strike (which just happened and happens what seems to be every year now), we all see on websites and in the mail leading up to a strike all the wording that states that even if you don’t get a bill you are still responsible for the payment.

The only ones this really screws over in the end are the ones who don’t do online banking / online bill payments or even pre-authorized bill payments.

OP, do this: pay the bill and don’t worry about it, you’ll see your score come back up soon. I had a mortgage pre approval ding me by 14 points and one week later was back up to right where I’ve been for the last 6-9 months
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
6150 posts
5509 upvotes
Here on earth
XtremeModder wrote: I had a mortgage pre approval ding me by 14 points and one week later was back up to right where I’ve been for the last 6-9 months
Inquiries for a mortgage pre-approval is a totally different situation than a late payment, which is considered a derogatory reporting.
Some lenders may overlook a 30 day if it appears isolated incident, but it still sucks having it reported on your file.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2761 posts
2104 upvotes
adeel wrote: thanks...would you literally suggest writing, or would you call in first?
Depends on whether you can actually get to talk to the person who can request it. You will essentially be requesting an investigation into your account so if Koodo is set up so that it's telephone reps can handle the request or transfer you then you can try calling.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10230 posts
1515 upvotes
Toronto
coolintheshade wrote: Inquiries for a mortgage pre-approval is a totally different situation than a late payment, which is considered a derogatory reporting.
Some lenders may overlook a 30 day if it appears isolated incident, but it still sucks having it reported on your file.
I know it’s different I was just giving an example of what made mine go down

Yes but it’s a one off apparently so probably will go away quickly. I actually have never had a late payment on anything so maybe I’m wrong and that it’ll stay for some time
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
6150 posts
5509 upvotes
Here on earth
XtremeModder wrote: I know it’s different I was just giving an example of what made mine go down

Yes but it’s a one off apparently so probably will go away quickly. I actually have never had a late payment on anything so maybe I’m wrong and that it’ll stay for some time
It’ll be viewable by lenders for 6 years, but who knows how long it will affect the score.
But if I had to guess, I would say 6 months.
As I said, if everything else is in order, and OP has a long track record of on time payments, lenders may just overlook this one incident.
I guess that would vary from lender to lender.
Myself, I am very vigilant when it comes to making sure everything is paid, and have never had any kind of negative entry on my credit bureau file.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10230 posts
1515 upvotes
Toronto
coolintheshade wrote: It’ll be viewable by lenders for 6 years, but who knows how long it will affect the score.
But if I had to guess, I would say 6 months.
As I said, if everything else is in order, and OP has a long track record of on time payments, lenders may just overlook this one incident.
I guess that would vary from lender to lender.
Myself, I am very vigilant when it comes to making sure everything is paid, and have never had any kind of negative entry on my credit bureau file.
Same way for me. Hell im on vacation right now and still paid all my bills long before they’re due anyways.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5206 posts
316 upvotes
Markham
Thanks all for feedback. I'm not realyl concerned about any negative implications, but it still sucks.

I do agree in principle about paying bills...however these companies typically push signing up for online billing with email notifications which is what I did. I had already cancelled the service and paid (albeit late) what I understood to be the final payment to settle the account. This after randomly checking my online account, rather than getting a final bill in the mail which is what the phone rep told me I would get.

I think most reasonable people would think that if the vendor wants something more from you, they would get in touch in one way or another - if I've signed up for online billing, at their request/recommendation, is the onus not on them to make sure that I get the bill they have generated?

In any event, I will try and see if koodo will remove the negative on my report. Hope for the best and all that.