• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2024 9:51 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 2, 2016
482 posts
318 upvotes
mercenary69 wrote: 733 Equifax

No bankruptcy, no late payments, no maxed out accounts, 2 inquiries in the past 3 years

DENIED from BMO.
Need more specifics, such as the card you applied for, your length of credit history, AAOA, and annual income. BMO is very forgiving with their entry level cards....their no fee Airmiles Mastercard was the 2nd unsecured credit card I obtained.

The only time in my life I was denied for a credit card was when I applied for an Amex card when I was just starting out about 10 years ago. My credit history was 2 years in length and that wasn't enough for them. I waited six months, applied for the no fee BMO Airmiles card (approved), waited another year, and then successfully applied for the Amex Platinum Airmiles credit card :)

Me:

EQ Score 772
No late payments
No debt
5 inquiries last 2 years
AAOA: 5 years
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1143 posts
454 upvotes
Windsor, ON
Thank you, ya the BK was a big mistake when I was 20 and somehow was given 50K in student LOC's, mastercards and visa's from various big 5 banks (mostly TD though) I was also a student unfortunately not making much money to repay the debt, definitely taught me a big lesson though, now I am scared to even think about racking up more than 4K in debt and I try to focus on saving a few thousand here and there in case an extra expense comes up I can't afford
One thing I forgot to mention now that I am looking it over a lot more.........it seems that hard pulls from the same bank within the same year or two won't drop your score as much, so I'd assume if you have a good relationship with one bank you should just stay with them, the last 6 months on mine I can see CIBC has hard hit me quite a few times but each of those times my score would only drop 1-3 points which is basically nothing.... on my TU report...I only have 9 inquiries compared to the 14 on equifax, but the 9 inquiries are all different banks each time ...my score with the exact same credit history but less inquiries is only 598 on TU? I called TU and they couldn't really give me an answer on that one so I will just need to give it another year I guess and hopefully that one goes up somehow.....
Oct 19, 2015
195 posts
117 upvotes
mmikeman wrote: Thank you, ya the BK was a big mistake when I was 20 and somehow was given 50K in student LOC's, mastercards and visa's from various big 5 banks (mostly TD though) I was also a student unfortunately not making much money to repay the debt, definitely taught me a big lesson though, now I am scared to even think about racking up more than 4K in debt and I try to focus on saving a few thousand here and there in case an extra expense comes up I can't afford
One thing I forgot to mention now that I am looking it over a lot more.........it seems that hard pulls from the same bank within the same year or two won't drop your score as much, so I'd assume if you have a good relationship with one bank you should just stay with them, the last 6 months on mine I can see CIBC has hard hit me quite a few times but each of those times my score would only drop 1-3 points which is basically nothing.... on my TU report...I only have 9 inquiries compared to the 14 on equifax, but the 9 inquiries are all different banks each time ...my score with the exact same credit history but less inquiries is only 598 on TU? I called TU and they couldn't really give me an answer on that one so I will just need to give it another year I guess and hopefully that one goes up somehow.....
Yeah I hear ya. Did that bankruptcy purge off of transunion? I don't know much about bankruptcy but I've heard if it shows it will keep the score down until purge.
You've climbed out of a puddle. I can contest to that. I didn't take the bankruptcy route but I see where you are coming from.
Also yes I do deal with CIBC and BMO for my business and personal. CIBC has been better to me for some reason.
Oct 19, 2015
195 posts
117 upvotes
mercenary69 wrote: 733 Equifax

No bankruptcy, no late payments, no maxed out accounts, 2 inquiries in the past 3 years

DENIED from BMO.
This is what I don't get with BMO. Unless your income is below requirement for the card? I'm assuming you have other credit cards not just loans? I don't get BMO. I've seen situations here where people with less requirements and more pulls get approved.
Oct 19, 2015
195 posts
117 upvotes
DennisK272337 wrote: I'm sure this has been posted somewhere. But I think this is a curious question on many people's minds. What are your CREDIT SCORES when you are getting APPROVED OR DENIED for credit cards (name the banks ofcourse and the credit score from TRANSUNION or EQUIFAX). And if you know as well your utilization...

I'm assuming most people above 700 are approved most of the time.
500s people?
600s people?
700s people?
800s?

Thanks
Hey guys just wanted to say, this is the reason I started this thread. Its a situational thread. Posting people's approvals and denials so that many don't waste there times pulling there credit and wondering why denials are happening. The more information you provide about the situation, the more some experts here can help you figure something out or give you advice. It also seems to me like change in times/economy is affecting approvals and denials (profits and losses in banks as well maybe). Just an observation. Thanks for all your input
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2014
1505 posts
564 upvotes
YVR, BC
I am in 700's and always denied with Chase cards........have churned most of Jerry's suggested cards, my last were Amex - I have about 10-12 inquiries/yr, might look for a LOC next year
Apr 10, 2016
1 posts
1 upvote
719 Transunion score, no missing payment
42k income with 2 credit card 5k and 8k, both empty
No loan

I got refuse for tangerine CC, I got so upset, I've been waiting for this CC for way too long lol
Jan 27, 2011
45 posts
7 upvotes
Petawawa
mmikeman wrote: These are my approx scores for approval of the following cards as I subscribe to my TU score before applying and get my EQ monthly since my BK about 6 1/2 years ago I've been pretty good with monitoring my credit and watching my spending habits:

Capital one Gold Mastercard: Approved 33 months ago TU 605/EQ 648 Limit 1000 then 5 months later 5000 *BK on report still -> score went to 630 on EQ unknown TU
Affirm Mastercard: Approved 7 months ago TU 610/EQ 668 Limit 3000 *BK on report still -> score went up to 640 of TU? on EQ down to 658
PC Financial MC: Approved 4 months ago TU 598/EQ 691 Limit 2000 *BK only on TU but pulled it as well like 3 times... -> score still 598 TU on EQ only dropped to 689
PC Financial MC: Denied 14 months ago TU 605/EQ 680 *unknown score after hard pull
PC Financial Overdraft: Denied 7 months ago EQ 692 * EQ dropped to 689
CIBC Dividend Platinum: Approved 1 month ago EQ 687 Limit 5000 *No BK on report *EQ only dropped to 685
Desjardins Visa: Approved 14 months ago EQ 690 Limit 2500 *BK on report still *unknown score after pull *advised me 680 is the lowest this bank will consider for a CC or a mortgage as well
Desjardins LOC/Personal Loan: Denied 14 months ago EQ 690 *BK on report still but advised me you need 700+ to get these with this bank
RBC Visa Avion: Denied 24 months ago TU was actually 650 at this point (seems to have dropped from to many new trades) *BK on report still advised me they extend credit often when you have savings with them ex. RRSP/Savings account, etc etc would not offer me a secured card either
Walmart MC Denied 36 months ago TU was 640 at this point *BK on report still referenced that upon denial
National Bank MC1 Mastercard: Denied 16 months ago EQ 691 *BK on report still but actually didn't give me a reason why I was denied, counter offered a secured card with 3 year locked in G.I.C no option to get deposit back for 3 years....score on EQ only dropped 1 point literally down to 690

I make about 46K a year and do have a mortgage as well so my credit is well built since the BK, as someone mentioned below, I've had most my issues with banks that pull TU, TU seems to hold things on your report for 10+ years as well, whether its closed open accounts or even accounts included in a bankruptcy

From the looks of things there are people on here approved for those "infinite" cards but don't have a 60K income? Maybe you can still get these cards as long as your credit score is really good?
This is heartening. We have a CP that is supposed to drop off in the fall. We've had cap one secured cards since early on in the CP (one with 8K limit, one with 2.5K limit), but haven't yet been able to get any unsecured rewards cards (my score is about 640, his is 670, no derogs since CP in 2010, CP paid off in 2013, family income now over $150K split pretty much 50/50, no mortgage though, as we couldn't get one). This helps me believe maybe we'll see some approvals once the CP is gone.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2012
1733 posts
727 upvotes
Toronto
Had more than ten credit card with different bank in last five years(including two chase and one National bank), My credit score is always under 720 EQ, only got one or two times denied, however most of than credit limited under 10k.

In my two cents, the credit score is not much important for credit card approved, but the credit history and payment hobbies are.
Simple is the best.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3352 posts
874 upvotes
Toronto
750 credit score on Equifax. (Should had been 800+ if not for the BS of Bell)
No idea on Transunion.

I currently have 4 cards.

RBC cashback MC (from VISA cashback; first card)
Scotiabank VISA momentum NO FEE
Tangerine
Rogers MC

I got rejected twice on Amazon VISA.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8134 posts
3485 upvotes
Financial District B…
604nation wrote: I am in 700's and always denied with Chase cards........have churned most of Jerry's suggested cards, my last were Amex - I have about 10-12 inquiries/yr, might look for a LOC next year
Amazon visa was easy piesy and many at my work also have it and also stated it was easy to qualify for.
Love the simplicity of the login site. No hunting around to find account data.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Mar 2, 2015
101 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
marc_t wrote: 790 here

Just got denied from Tangerine CC

wth
Got denied as well. Pretty good score. First credit card I ever got denied for...

Maybe I have too many cards (30+), just got the PC World Elite with 10k no problem.

Income is pretty high :) Over 6 figures.
Oct 19, 2015
195 posts
117 upvotes
investing200aweek wrote: Got denied as well. Pretty good score. First credit card I ever got denied for...

Maybe I have too many cards (30+), just got the PC World Elite with 10k no problem.

Income is pretty high :) Over 6 figures.
wow. Good for you. 30+ Cards here in canada? Which ones if you don't mind me asking? And do you use them all?
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
2048 posts
636 upvotes
Alberta
DennisK272337 wrote: wow. Good for you. 30+ Cards here in canada? Which ones if you don't mind me asking? And do you use them all?
It would be easy to mention which ones he doesn't have.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
My credit score is higher than 0 and my utilization is higher than 0%. Never been denied any of the applications for credit.
Mar 9, 2015
234 posts
102 upvotes
Aldergrove, BC
I started building my credit back up in August 2015,

Aug 15 720 TU no inquires but no current accounts. TU for some reason generated that score based on accounts I had in 2002? Equifax did not have a score at all

ROYAL BANK VISA 08/07/2015 (who I bank with) was given a RBC gold rewards Visa and was approved with a $2500 limit

VANCITY - VISA 08/14/2015 Denied but I tried for the gold card (stupid)

CANADIAN TIRE BANK 09/01/2015 Approved for $200 (lol) but after 3 statements they increased my limit to $1200

BK Nova Scotia 10/23/2015 I was approved for the Gold Amex with a $5k limit pending income verification. I sent in the info and they lost it (said they did not receive it) , Sent in the info a second time plus some bank statements. It took them another week and then they declined the application.

1/25/16 Equifax score showed 781

PRESIDENT'S CHOICE BANK 02/22/2016 Approved for the world elite MC $1000 limit

3/28/16 Equifax dropped to 722

4/15/16 I received a Scene card pre approval email from Scotia Bank for $7500. I accepted the offer but have not received anything from them yet & they have not called for more information
Banned
Mar 9, 2012
815 posts
430 upvotes
Drummondville, QC
I think people should stop after 3-4 inquiries a year... Too many inquiries will probably set off a warning or something...
Oct 19, 2015
195 posts
117 upvotes
skunkyjosh wrote: I think people should stop after 3-4 inquiries a year... Too many inquiries will probably set off a warning or something...
There's many folks I noticed who are churning credit cards that pull their report once a month and keep getting approved.

I'm noticing myself from many situations that so long as your score is passed the particular financial institutions minimum requirement you have a good chance of being approved or at least auto approved.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1803 posts
851 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
joeydc wrote: 719 Transunion score, no missing payment
42k income with 2 credit card 5k and 8k, both empty
No loan

I got refuse for tangerine CC, I got so upset, I've been waiting for this CC for way too long lol
im a student-30k income, 715 score and got approved for 12k limit. two other cards with 3k each