• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2024 9:51 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2014
2033 posts
1013 upvotes
efrant wrote: In the post you quoted, I obviously left out the "WE" before the "MC". That was a mistake on my part, yes. I think it's pretty obvious that all credit cards have a minimum limit of >$0, and that was talking about WE (or World) cards.

I'm not posting solely to have a discussion with you. I'm legitimately trying to learn at what credit limit does my card go from a WE to a non-WE, which, for me (and I would assume many other folk) is what I term "the minimum CL for a WE MC". Maybe that isn't the correct wording, but I hope you understand what I am trying to figure out. If you say that limit exists and it varies by FI, then what are those limits by FI? I have yet to see anyone post that their MC went from a WE to a World or Platinum card because they went below a certain credit limit. It's those limits that I'm interested it (and it's those limits that I consider a minimum), whether or not that is the "proper" terminology or not.

If an issuer has a minimum limit on all cards of $1k, then obviously the WE MC would have that as a minimum limit as well, no? Maybe you would call that a minimum credit for a WE MC (which is factually correct), but I would not call that a minimum limit for a WE card, because that would be misleading -- because that limit has nothing to do with the card being a WE card. I has to do with the issuer's limits on all cards.

The ATB card is likely an exception from what I've gathered so far, and as I said, I stand corrected on that one: there is at least one card that has a minimum CL for a WE card (the way I described what I mean by "minimum CL for a WE MC" above, which may not be consistent with what you see it as).

Again, all I'm trying to figure out is: below what CL does a WE MC get downgraded? My terms and wording may have made it unclear, but I think it's pretty straightforward. But if I'm not intellectually honest enough for you to share your information with, then no worries. Hopefully someone else will be able to answer my questions.
all good man we'll chalk it up to poor wording/miscommunication

so thus far we've determined there are minimum limits for virtually all mc products and these limits vary by fi
the question now is do they vary by cc or is atb the one exception to the rule

the answer is, again, it depends on fi
as i said at the very beginning, some mc world & world elite cards are 5k minimum; the fis that have these set minimums have lesser products with lesser limits
namely you have:
- nbc w their world & we at 5k and non-we at 1k or 500 depending on card
- atb w their world* & we at 5k and non-we at idk, prolly 1k or 500
- cibc* w their world & we at 5k and non-we at 500

* historical/grandfathered
by no means a complete list, for instance idk about chase sears when they were in the mix

hope that helps
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7369 posts
9168 upvotes
Montreal
G0DKING wrote: all good man we'll chalk it up to poor wording/miscommunication

so thus far we've determined there are minimum limits for virtually all mc products and these limits vary by fi
the question now is do they vary by cc or is atb the one exception to the rule

the answer is, again, it depends on fi
as i said at the very beginning, some mc world & world elite cards are 5k minimum; the fis that have these set minimums have lesser products with lesser limits
namely you have:
- nbc w their world & we at 5k and non-we at 1k or 500 depending on card
- atb w their world* & we at 5k and non-we at idk, prolly 1k or 500
- cibc* w their world & we at 5k and non-we at 500

* historical/grandfathered
by no means a complete list, for instance idk about chase sears when they were in the mix

hope that helps
But where are you getting the numbers for the two you mentioned (NBC and CIBC)? Is it from personal experience, or do you have DPs, or is it disclosed somewhere on their website or cardholder agreement? EDIT: Nevermind. The reference link was posted below by someone else.

I actually have the NBC WE (with a CL substantially larger than $5k, and I never really use the card, but it's a keeper card for me for the insurance and travel credits). So you're saying that if I reduce my limit to below $5k, they will downgrade me to the Platinum card? Have you seen DPs of people being downgraded?

Again, assuming each issuer has a distinct minimum CL for a card to be a WE, then I would like to know what those differing limits are by FI, specifically NBC, HSBC, RBC and BMO, but interested in others as well. We know from several DPs that MBNA and PCF are at most $500, but could be lower, and Triangle is at most $100-$200, but could be lower. So, again, we can't be sure that it's not lower for those, i.e., will they downgrade to a Platinum card with a limit lower than that? (I don't really care about discontinued cards though.)

At some point, I guess I could call each issuer and ask them, but I'm not confident that the frontline CSRs would know.

Just for the sake of clarity and so that I'm not mis-communicating, all I want to know is:

Below what CL will the following cards be downgraded from a WE (to a World or Platinum card) by the FI:

NBC WE: $5,000
HSBC WE: ?
RBC WestJet WE: ?
BMO Air Miles WE: none*
MBNA Alaska WE: none*
Triangle WE: none*
PCF WE: none*

*"none" denotes WE cards have been issued with limits at $500 or below. While it's possible that these WE cards have a minimum limit, it's more likely that it's a minimum limit for any card from that issuer, not a WE limit.

EDIT: I added the minimum CL for the NBC WE card of $5k (as stated on NBC's website), and "none" for MBNA, CTFS and PCF given that the all have issued WE cards with a credit limit of $500 or less.
Last edited by efrant on Apr 2nd, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23017 posts
6890 upvotes
Scarberia
Latest cc.. Amex Bonvoy personal

Prolly keep it after first yr to get the free annual 1 night hotel 35k pts?
120$ worth the one night? I can get 2 nights at Bellagio for 90 usd via myvegas
Screenshot_2022-04-02-01-32-08-775_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Aug 31, 2019
98 posts
21 upvotes
Any insight would be much appreciated:

Got my score up nice into the high 700s. Anyways looks like a got my days mixed up and paid my March 31 due statement in full on April 2.

Card is CT MC

Anyone have experience in this situation; I don't want to see a missed payment 'X' show up on my credit file. Any way I can contact CT and explain this?

Thx everyone
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23017 posts
6890 upvotes
Scarberia
efrant wrote: Thanks for that. (I was looking under the requirements section, and it wasn't listed there.) I wonder if that means they will downgrade me if I reduce my CL below $5k?
the nbc WE says u gotta spend min. 25k per year? first time i seen that fine print!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9756 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
CouponBaron wrote: I recommend applying for Canadian Tire if you haven't already done that. Get that card, close the Capital One, and then in 6-18 months apply for the Capital One Aspire if you still want it. Capital One is very sketchy because they do exactly that to lock you into a paid card when you're actually eligible for a no fee card. They want to keep you down, and hurt your chances of getting approved elsewhere by forcing you to cancel or pay their horrible fees. Anyway, when repairing my credit CTFS was great. They'll probably give you a higher than base interest rate if your credit is bad, but likely still approve you with a low limit. They also typically increase limits a lot faster than other cards in my experience. Plus they have the "bill pay" perk where you can pay bills that normally can't pay by credit card, via an online banking style portal, and you can still earn Canadian Tire money on it (the trick is some utility bills charge you a fee to process credit cards, but the online portal get's around that). It's a win win and has been a keeper for me. It's my oldest card. I used to have the "Gold" version of the Aspire Cash card too and it was a long term fight to get them to raise my credit limit after years with them. Just for a CLI they wanted me to cancel and reapply which was ludicrous. C1 is awful.
Thanks for the advice. I already have a CT Triangle card. Been happy with it. They have raised my limit to 6K after less than 12 months of having the card, which is nice.

Cap1 was a necessary starting point in the process a couple of years ago. I will probably cancel the card since paying $5 a month for a card with an $800 limit is annoying.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9756 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Dannymolns wrote: Any insight would be much appreciated:

Got my score up nice into the high 700s. Anyways looks like a got my days mixed up and paid my March 31 due statement in full on April 2.

Card is CT MC

Anyone have experience in this situation; I don't want to see a missed payment 'X' show up on my credit file. Any way I can contact CT and explain this?

Thx everyone
I doubt it will affect your score much, just avoid doing it in the future. If it's only one account out of several and is only a few days late, you should be fine. I doubt the phone reps can make entries into your credit file anyways.

Personally I actually set my online banking to autopay $50 per month to all my credit cards. That will cover the min payment in case I ever forget to pay the full balance. Each month I pay off the full balance around the due date time.
Nov 22, 2012
812 posts
940 upvotes
NS
efrant wrote: But where are you getting the numbers for the two you mentioned (NBC and CIBC)? Is it from personal experience, or do you have DPs, or is it disclosed somewhere on their website or cardholder agreement? EDIT: Nevermind. The reference link was posted below by someone else.

I actually have the NBC WE (with a CL substantially larger than $5k, and I never really use the card, but it's a keeper card for me for the insurance and travel credits). So you're saying that if I reduce my limit to below $5k, they will downgrade me to the Platinum card? Have you seen DPs of people being downgraded?

Again, assuming each issuer has a distinct minimum CL for a card to be a WE, then I would like to know what those differing limits are by FI, specifically NBC, HSBC, RBC and BMO, but interested in others as well. We know from several DPs that MBNA and PCF are at most $500, but could be lower, and Triangle is at most $100-$200, but could be lower. So, again, we can't be sure that it's not lower for those, i.e., will they downgrade to a Platinum card with a limit lower than that? (I don't really care about discontinued cards though.)

At some point, I guess I could call each issuer and ask them, but I'm not confident that the frontline CSRs would know.

Just for the sake of clarity and so that I'm not mis-communicating, all I want to know is:

Below what CL will the following cards be downgraded from a WE (to a World or Platinum card) by the FI:

NBC WE: $5,000
HSBC WE: ?
RBC WestJet WE: ?
BMO Air Miles WE: ?
MBNA Alaska WE: none*
Triangle WE: none*
PCF WE: none*

*none denotes WE cards have been issued with limits at $500 or below.

EDIT: I added the minimum CL for the NBC WE card of $5k (as stated on NBC's website), and "none" for MBNA, CTFS and PCF given that the all have issued WE cards with a credit limit of $500 or less.
BMO Air Miles WE min credit limit is $500.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7369 posts
9168 upvotes
Montreal
jevonb wrote: BMO Air Miles WE min credit limit is $500.
Thanks. Is that posted on their website as well, or is that a DP?
Nov 22, 2012
812 posts
940 upvotes
NS
efrant wrote: Thanks. Is that posted on their website as well, or is that a DP?
Haven't seen it posted on the BMO website. This fact came from the BMO credit analyst I asked last week when I called to reallocate credit limits between 2 cards.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7369 posts
9168 upvotes
Montreal
jevonb wrote: Haven't seen it posted on the BMO website. This fact came from the BMO credit analyst I asked last week when I called to reallocate credit limits between 2 cards.
Thanks.

Do you happen to know if $500 is the minimum BMO allows on any card (regardless of it being a WE card)?
Nov 22, 2012
812 posts
940 upvotes
NS
efrant wrote: Thanks. Is that posted on their website as well, or is that a DP?
efrant wrote: Thanks.

Do you happen to know if $500 is the minimum BMO allows on any card (regardless of it being a WE card)?
I didn't ask but I think $500 is the min credit limit for all types of BMO MC. I don't recall seeing any DP with a lower limit. $500 is normally the min credit limit for most banks. It is only a few such as PCF and CT and go as low as $100.
Nov 10, 2019
134 posts
104 upvotes
MyLoveForTofu wrote: lol 1k limit on a world elite card is hilarious. Most premium CC's (infinites, world/WE) minimal limit is 5k....so wtf.

They sent me a email stating I was declined after 9 business days. No reasoning for it, just that I was declined and I got 0 communication prior to this. Like I said in my other post, given my score this made me very paranoid that there was something fishy with my credit report. If it makes a difference, I applied for the basic Brim MC even though I could apply for the WE; I didn't want to pay annual fees because I'm cheap.

Checked my Transunion score with CreditKarma, and I was going to use Borrow well but I messed up my details lol. So I went with Equifax directly. They gave me a month free sub (No CC entered). I'll go back to borrow well when this expires. I saw nothing wrong with my report so I just went ahead and applied for the tangerine world MC, got an instant approval. They offered me a 20k CL, but I didn't want a secondary card with that much of a limit (my aeroplan visa has a high limit) since I'll only be using the card mostly at Costco, moved it to 5k.

SO I have no idea whats up with Brim and their manual credit adjudication process. The joke answer is probably that they saw I wasn't someone that carried balances and they couldn't make profit off me from interest, so they declined me lol. But jokes aside, having previously worked at the bank....they might be super conservative about total debt ratios. Might have declined me because I already had two credit cards and a line of credit, probably thought I had access to too much credit already.
Not sure which province you are from but if you’re in Ontario Equifax credit score and report free. You get refreshed report every monthly. https://my.equifax.ca
---
Nov 10, 2019
134 posts
104 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote: Has anyone had luck switching Cards with Capital One, or getting the annual fee waived?

I have had the "Guaranteed" Gold Mastercard for a couple of years with the $59 fee. Account in good standing and they don't have a security deposit. Balance is paid off in full each month.

I wanted to switch the card to Aspire Cash. I called and asked and was told they can't do that. It was suggested that I cancel the existing card and apply for Aspire Cash, which would result in a hard credit check that I don't want. I would also lose the 2 years of credit history with Cap1.

Any tips? My annual fee of $59 renews in August.
Really not worth getting any Capone cards once graduated from building credit. There are many better credit cards out there for below 700 score. Amex is one of them. Why do you want to hit with two credit inquiries for one lousy card from Capone. CIBC lenient on approving lower tier cards with scores above 650 as well. Or wait until your score go above 750 you will get many pre-approved offers so you don’t take a hit with HP.
Last edited by credview on Apr 5th, 2022 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2014
2033 posts
1013 upvotes
jevonb wrote: Haven't seen it posted on the BMO website. This fact came from the BMO credit analyst I asked last week when I called to reallocate credit limits between 2 cards.
so did you reallocate & now you have a bmo we at 500

bc my experience is that it is, or at least was, 1k
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11665 posts
14020 upvotes
Win-ter-peg

Card is CT MC

Thx everyone
I believe a late reporting will only occur if your payment is not received by the following statement cycle.
Aug 31, 2019
98 posts
21 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote: I believe a late reporting will only occur if your payment is not received by the following statement cycle.
Thanks for your reply. Really hoping that this is the case 🤞 Been 100% spotless on payments since being keen and using this forum (4 years)

In any case I'll report back once I what happens - just so others will know as well
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2015
1124 posts
1674 upvotes
Cornwall, ON

Card is CT MC

Thx everyone
If you look closely at your credit report, it seems to have lines indicating >60 days late, >90 days late etc. Nothing notes under 30 days from what I can see. If you are a few days late and the payment posted before the new bill comes out, it may not even report to the bureau. I don't have enough information to say if it's FI-specific or just the way the bureau reports back, but I highly doubt there will be much/any impact. But that's just my opinion.
Pronouns: She/Her/They/Them/Mx
Kept Amazon.ca Sorting Tool: https://katrina.life/s/
* A google ad cover's bandwidth
NoAF CB Combo:
(1) 4%/1.5% Simplii (2) 3% BMO CB (3) 2% Tang (4) 2%/1.25% Amex SC (5) 2% (Cell warranty) Desjardins

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)