• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2017 2:20 pm
[OP]
Aug 7, 2006
217 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto

Crib Mattress

Hey gang - inexperienced dad here. I'm expecting our 1st born next year and looking at crib mattresses. I'm eyeing a Sealy Soybean Natural comfort as this one is on sale at the moment.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular mattress and can comment on it and its firmness? Generally speaking, which mattress are you using and what was the primary driving factors for your decision?

Looking forward to hearing back from you experienced parents or new parents to be!
18 replies
Sep 30, 2008
979 posts
643 upvotes
Pickering
Congrats OP!

I'll be staying tuned to this thread. We're expecting our 2nd and need to buy a new crib mattress as well. When we had our 1st years ago, I believe we got a Seally or Simmons (it's been a while, can't remember for sure and have no idea on model) and bought it because the wife and I used the same brand ourselves at the time.

Would love to hear the opinions of fellow RFDers on what they use/recommend.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1048 posts
420 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I used a Sealy crib mattress for both my boys and was still firm when my 2nd stopped using it. Bought it on sale at Babies R Us. You can use the crib mattress for a toddler bed too. We didn't because we switched to a double bed instead.
[OP]
Aug 7, 2006
217 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks Phat$ - I'm really excited for this experience. The mattress options seems so broad and varied. I'm actually a bit overwhelmed on how to tackle this. Foam vs. Spring....Organic vs. not....cloth vs. plastic....cost vs. quality Astonished Face
Apr 4, 2012
530 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto
mclazy wrote: Thanks Phat$ - I'm really excited for this experience. The mattress options seems so broad and varied. I'm actually a bit overwhelmed on how to tackle this. Foam vs. Spring....Organic vs. not....cloth vs. plastic....cost vs. quality Astonished Face
Still using this one from Costco, worked well with the angelcare motion sensor.
http://www.costco.ca/Little-Cloud-Mattr ... 16889.html
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16624 posts
6885 upvotes
We just bought a cheap Sealy from Walmart and it seems to be working fine. I believe you can even flip it over for different firmness - one side is softer than the other.

Your child will be fine on whatever mattress you find in a store. Just make sure you have a good mattress protector for when (not if) the mattress is soiled.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25235 posts
4333 upvotes
We went with a mattress that wasn't "fire proof" so didn't off gas harsh chemicals (at least that's how it was advertised, but who really knows). I'm not too worried about my toddler dropping a cigarette in his crib and lighting his mattress on fire. I'm not a hippy by any means, but I try to avoid harsh chemicals when ever possible. I have no idea if buying such a mattress is really doing any good or not, but I figure it can't hurt. With how little we know about what causes cancer, I try to limit chemicals as best I can.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3442 posts
653 upvotes
GTA
We used the Nook Pebble Lite mattress for our two kids and absolutely loved it. Not sure how widely available they are now as it's been many years since we purchased ours, but well worth a look if you're not simply looking for the cheapest mattress possible (nothing wrong with that either).
[OP]
Aug 7, 2006
217 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Low to no chemicals is definitely a must for us as well. With those unknowns I'd rather steer clear also. I found this new fangled mattress that seems pretty interesting but probably won't go for it. It's too new age for me - link.

We're willing to spend a little bit on the mattress where it makes sense but not looking to go overboard to have top of the line. I'll check out Nook Pebble...thanks Professor.

What are the schools of though on foam vs. coil spring?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1232 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto
My fiance and I just bought a mattress (due early January). We were originally going to get the Sealy Soybean mattress as well ($179.99 at Babies R Us) but upon reading reviews, I wasn't completely sold on it as people stated it wasn't as "natural" as it sounds and it's made with a lot of chemicals. The ratings also weren't as great as I expected.

Every website I went to had pretty high reviews for the Safety 1st Little Angel mattress ($129.99 at Babies R Us) but they were completely out of stock and didn't even have one on display. We could've ordered it on Amazon but I really wanted to see and feel the mattress before pulling the trigger. We went to Walmart and found it there for $99. I'm extremely impressed with it, it's firm (as it should be) but still feels very comfortable. The price was great too. It also comes with its own removable, waterproof and washable cover (not plastic or vinyl) cover.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1386 posts
446 upvotes
Ottawa
TrevorK wrote: We just bought a cheap Sealy from Walmart and it seems to be working fine. I believe you can even flip it over for different firmness - one side is softer than the other.

Your child will be fine on whatever mattress you find in a store. Just make sure you have a good mattress protector for when (not if) the mattress is soiled.
+1 There is no need to buy expensive crib mattress. They are all firm for safety reason. Your baby couldn't care less. They can sleep on concrete if they are sleepy, and they aren't going to sleep even if you have setup like the Princess and the Pea if they decided they are not going to sleep.

Just get one from IKEA and be done with it.
[OP]
Aug 7, 2006
217 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for all the input guys. It's clear everyone has a different outlook on this topic which is great. Although for those that have/had any specific criteria when looking and made a purchase, I'm still interested to know why and what you ended up with. I know all mattresses should meet the min standard, but there's still differences in material (cotton vs. vinyl etc.) for breath-ability and cores etc that still interesting to get input on from those with experience.

I'm leaning towards one of those Costco packages @nataliya64605 mentioned above. Seems to be good value and you get a lot. I also like the idea of a foam core vs springs and material that's breathable with a waterproof coating.
Feb 25, 2015
678 posts
228 upvotes
ON
We are looking at the Simmons baby Caresse mattress on Costco.ca. seems like a new product as there are no reviews yet. Anyone have this one?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7558 posts
1016 upvotes
GTA
When I first started looking for baby things (3 years ago) oddly I didn't spend a lot of time thinking about the mattress. I bought a relatively cheap mattress (Safety First Heavenly Dreams) that had decent reviews but wasn't special or expensive. Considering the mattress had good reviews, I may have just gotten a bad one. It was quite light which made it easy to pull it out of the crib to change the sheets. However, it couldn't withstand the pressure from the tight fitting crib sheet (which is required for safety reasons) and became permanently curved in the centre after very little use. . I felt it was unsafe when my baby was small due to the way the crib sheet fit after it became warped.

I then realized that my baby spent so much time in the crib, the mattress was one of the things that (for me) I should have spent money on to get something that was good as it got a lot of use. I ended up getting a Naturepedic after that. It wasn't cheap ($399 almost 3 years ago), but it has held up well. We actually got a lot of use out of it, first in the crib and then when we converted the crib to a day bed. It had 2 sides - a firmer side for under 1 and a slightly softer side for older kids. I bought the MC42 model and am happy with it. Organic cotton with non-toxic easy to clean surface that was waterproof. It is supposed to have no off gassing. I don't know whether off gassing is really an issue or not, but I'd rather err on the side of caution and don't regret the money spent on this at all. My daughter always slept in her crib overnight and for naps, so we got a lot of use out of it.

It is quite heavy. Compared to the previous mattress this made changing the sheets more difficult as I had trouble lifting the mattress out of the crib without my husband's help. I bought zip sheets which I loved. They come with a base and you just zip the top of the sheet off and zip a new one on top. This was a huge bonus when dealing with the occasional 3 a.m. diaper blowout and also once the crib was lowered.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7558 posts
1016 upvotes
GTA
letmesee wrote: Is this any goozd? How does it compare to the sealy at toys r us
Most people give it good reviews. I posted above in my previous post that I had to replace mine since it couldn't withstand the pressure of tight fitting crib sheets and bent very quickly. For that reason I personally wouldn't recommend it, but I may have gotten a bad one as most reviews are good.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Oct 21, 2009
746 posts
660 upvotes
Haven't tried it yet to know but based on reviews it seemed like a good choice.