[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2008
1928 posts
569 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB

Criteria for making posts in the Hot deals forum

Hi there.
I was wondering if it would be possible to know what the specific rules or criteria that is applicable when posting threads in HD.
Can the mods kindly chime in what is the general criteria for a valid post in HD please.

-I find every now and then there are posts that are listed that don't actually have a deal to be had (there is no evidence that can be backed up or referenced)
-Sometimes the date is incorrect, contains minimal information and the post is still allowed to stay in the HD section.
-This sets a precedent for speculative posts that can abused by users if it goes unchecked and lowers the overall quality of post in Hot Deals as they are merely taking up place.

I suggest having a set criteria (if not already in place) like:
-Deal must be available at time of posting or official confirmation needs to be in place before posting.
-If not it should be placed in the shopping discussion section especially if the information is incorrect.
-Maximum number of days before a deal can be posted. Is there a limit that is in place right now?
-If the deal is found to be a dud and no official information is available I suggest having the thread removed.

Just my 2 cents would like to know more if possible from the Mods and what the criteria is. (not posted anywhere from what I checked)
I say this as the frequency of low posts has increased steadily and in some cases the misinformation has led to the opposite i.e not getting a deal or paying significantly more as a results of.
35 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
23696 posts
5378 upvotes
where I belong
My 2 cents
- it's hard to do, and enforce, and nobody follows
- this is a public forum, so public moderation is needed instead of Mods
- but maybe a thread gets enough downvotes (due to not being hot deal and etc...), maybe move it out of Hot Deals to clean up
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
Apr 8, 2020
272 posts
133 upvotes
What is a hot deal ? (and warrant the post)
Well this could be tricky ,
for example as of today any gym equipment at regular price but in stock is/could be a HOT DEAL - any weight plates or dumbbells ... etc.
I think that downvoting is a good indication and works well
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8570 posts
3960 upvotes
Markham
reefer123 wrote: What is a hot deal ? (and warrant the post)
for example as of today any gym equipment at regular price but in stock is/could be a HOT DEAL - any weight plates or dumbbells ... etc.
Yes

Hot deal is not necessarily about price. Like two months ago, even toilet paper was hot deal. Not mention face mask, but they no longer a deal nowadays.

We should just let users to decide. Rule usually is a lag to predict what will happen
Apr 8, 2020
272 posts
133 upvotes
smartie wrote: Yes

Hot deal is not necessarily about price. Like two months ago, even toilet paper was hot deal. Not mention face mask, but they no longer a deal nowadays.

We should just let users to decide. Rule usually is a lag to predict what will happen
Agree , users will up vote and keep the thread on top or let it sink down
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
18361 posts
5694 upvotes
Toronto
I think that's the beauty of RFD's Hot Deals Forums ... Hot deals succeed and bad ones die.
It's trial by the members of the forum itself.

Deals are discussed, critiqued and upvoted so that very quickly, you understand if something is hot or to be skipped.

I really have no issue with the current system. Bad deals just fade away.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21067 posts
15013 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
jerryhung wrote: - but maybe a thread gets enough downvotes (due to not being hot deal and etc...), maybe move it out of Hot Deals to clean up
I don't get downvoting of non-hot non-deals. It's not very welcoming, especially to a new user who posted what they consider to be a hot deal. It certainly doesn't encourage them to do it again.

It makes more sense to post in that thread the reason(s) why they think a post is missing information or belongs in another sub-forum like Shopping. That way the poster learns and hopefullly comes back with more deals.

It's also not very efficient. It's much faster to use the Report link to ask a moderator to move the thread to a more appropriate location. Same with deals that have expired.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2008
1928 posts
569 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
reefer123 wrote: What is a hot deal ? (and warrant the post)
I agree that a deal can be hot one day and the next day it is not hot or a better deal comes along or people find out the deal is not available the next day and it actually should be downvoted.
But because so many ppl already voted it seems like a good deal still which is misleading.

I think that Hot deals should only have deals that are available at the time and not based on speculation or information that cant be backed up with evidence. This can be implemented by a simple question from the lister in the form of is this deal available right now or not? If not then the listing goes to the mod for assessment (they check for evidence and set the thread to come live in HD on the date that the evidence suggests).
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1831 posts
814 upvotes
London
bigjee wrote: I agree that a deal can be hot one day and the next day it is not hot or a better deal comes along or people find out the deal is not available the next day and it actually should be downvoted.
But because so many ppl already voted it seems like a good deal still which is misleading.

I think that Hot deals should only have deals that are available at the time and not based on speculation or information that cant be backed up with evidence. This can be implemented by a simple question from the lister in the form of is this deal available right now or not? If not then the listing goes to the mod for assessment (they check for evidence and set the thread to come live in HD on the date that the evidence suggests).
I have seen deals posted, which at the time are worthy of being posted.
Later, it is sold out either because it was a limited time deal, or so good it sells out quick.
Then people come along later and downvote it because it is no longer available.
I find that unfair, as the OP posted a good hot deal, at the time of posting.
They shouldn't get downvotes because others are late to the party.

I can't agree with your statement.
The OP shouldn't have to come back to the post to post current status.
That is your responsibility.
Check the time of the post, and decide why it may no longer be available.
Accept that it is you that arrived late, and better luck next time.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21067 posts
15013 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
bigjee wrote: I agree that a deal can be hot one day and the next day it is not hot or a better deal comes along or people find out the deal is not available the next day and it actually should be downvoted.
I appreciate what voting is intended to accomplish but how does that work in these sorts of situations (all of which have come up recently on RFD)...
1. The item comes in multiple sizes, colours, etc. One or more size/colour isn't available. Is it a deal or not?
2. Should it be downvoted if your size/colour isn't available?
3. What if all sizes/colours were available when the deal was posted but some have now sold out?
4. Amazon keeps changing the price, sometimes by the minute and the price goes from red hot to cold to hot?
5. The deal is valid in some parts of the country but not all?
6. Same as 5. but it's not clear to the poster, e.g. a grocery chain that has different flyers in different regions. Is it the OP's job to check them all out?
7. Same as 6. but those regional flyers come out on different days of the week and it's impossible for the OP to know where/when the deal will be available across the country?
8. What about a flyer that comes out a day or two early that has a hot deal with limited quantities and the OP wants to let us know in advance so we can be at the store when the deal starts?

I could keep on going but hopefully you get the idea.

How does voting --up or down--convey any of this sort of information?

There's no way to convey these details that can be the difference between a hot deal and no deal in a single number. The only way to do this is by posting the details within the thread, ideally in the OP/ThreadSummary. And yes, if you have an interest in the item shown in the thread title you have to open the thread to find out if it really is a hot deal for you at the time and at your location and in your size/colour, etc. That's the price you have to pay to discover if this is a hot deal for you.

Keep in mind too that most threads have only a few dozen votes even though they may have been opened and read by thousands of people. How can one have any confidence in the net up/down number when the sample size is too small to have any statistical value?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11193 posts
6184 upvotes
Markham
arisk wrote: I have seen deals posted, which at the time are worthy of being posted.
Later, it is sold out either because it was a limited time deal, or so good it sells out quick.

The first part I agree with 100%. eg it's a clearance item and there's limited stock and you miss, it should not be a downvote to the Hot Deal Post. In fact OOS or no longer available should not be a choice for downvote at all IMO.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14305 posts
26770 upvotes
Scarborough
gr8dlr wrote: The first part I agree with 100%. eg it's a clearance item and there's limited stock and you miss, it should not be a downvote to the Hot Deal Post. In fact OOS or no longer available should not be a choice for downvote at all IMO.
This actually gives me an idea. Maybe we can add an "Expired/Sold out" option to the downvote reasons list which instead of adding a downvote, instead reports the post for being expired.

Also, I just wanted to mention again that downvotes don't count against the OP, and only upvotes they receive for a thread will count in full towards their cumulative total.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11031 posts
7384 upvotes
GTA, ON
I mainly downvote things in Hot Deals because:

1) It's not actually a good price, it's not hot but cold (MSRP)
-Or-
2) It's a bad product or service, and that vote should serve as a warning to others on RFD to do their research before committing

IMO anyone downvoting because the item/service is not in stock in their area is just stupid and petty.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21067 posts
15013 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
chimaican wrote: I mainly downvote things in Hot Deals because:

1) It's not actually a good price, it's not hot but cold (MSRP)
-Or-
2) It's a bad product or service, and that vote should serve as a warning to others on RFD to do their research before committing
1) There's difference between not a particularly good price and MRSP that can't be conveyed in a downvote.
2) An explanation or personal experience would be a far more valuable contribution to the discussion than a downvote.

How much longer would it take you to post the actual reason in the relevant thread than to just downvote?

How much more useful and valuable to the community do you think that post would be compared to just a downvote?
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2008
1928 posts
569 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
bylo wrote: I appreciate what voting is intended to accomplish but how does that work in these sorts of situations (all of which have come up recently on RFD)...
1. The item comes in multiple sizes, colours, etc. One or more size/colour isn't available. Is it a deal or not?
2. Should it be downvoted if your size/colour isn't available?
3. What if all sizes/colours were available when the deal was posted but some have now sold out?
4. Amazon keeps changing the price, sometimes by the minute and the price goes from red hot to cold to hot?
5. The deal is valid in some parts of the country but not all?
6. Same as 5. but it's not clear to the poster, e.g. a grocery chain that has different flyers in different regions. Is it the OP's job to check them all out?
7. Same as 6. but those regional flyers come out on different days of the week and it's impossible for the OP to know where/when the deal will be available across the country?
8. What about a flyer that comes out a day or two early that has a hot deal with limited quantities and the OP wants to let us know in advance so we can be at the store when the deal starts?

I could keep on going but hopefully you get the idea.

How does voting --up or down--convey any of this sort of information?

There's no way to convey these details that can be the difference between a hot deal and no deal in a single number. The only way to do this is by posting the details within the thread, ideally in the OP/ThreadSummary. And yes, if you have an interest in the item shown in the thread title you have to open the thread to find out if it really is a hot deal for you at the time and at your location and in your size/colour, etc. That's the price you have to pay to discover if this is a hot deal for you.

Keep in mind too that most threads have only a few dozen votes even though they may have been opened and read by thousands of people. How can one have any confidence in the net up/down number when the sample size is too small to have any statistical value?
To keep things simple I have always used the down vote drop down menu option as a guide to see if it applies to the post.
E.g If the deal isnt available for everyone i.e. no one could get it (since the time of posting i.e there was never a deal to be had)- I will down vote.
gr8dlr wrote: The first part I agree with 100%. eg it's a clearance item and there's limited stock and you miss, it should not be a downvote to the Hot Deal Post. In fact OOS or no longer available should not be a choice for downvote at all IMO.
The idea is to stop ppl from posting fake or false posts about a deal. If there is no one who got the deal why is it holding a spot in Hot deals.
arisk wrote: I have seen deals posted, which at the time are worthy of being posted.

The OP got the upvotes already from those that got the benefit from the deal.
The downvotes might not be ideal but then again there should be a better way to remove a deal that is expired.
OP should have the ability to manage their posts better. Also the current system just allows them to take the upvotes and leave. How is that improving the overall quality of Hot deals?