Criteria for making posts in the Hot deals forum

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2020 7:52 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21415 posts
15514 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Another case in point: Is this a good deal?

Apparently the OP made a mistake by posting something [don't know what--since deleted] in Hot Deals. Within half an hour the thread attracts over 30 downvotes. Many posters seem to have lots of time to make the usual silly posts. But has anyone bothered to hit the Report link so that the mods can move/delete the thread?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1453 posts
651 upvotes
Ontario
Regular priced items do NOT belong in the 'Hot Deals' section at all.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21415 posts
15514 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
IcarusLSC wrote: Regular priced items do NOT belong in the 'Hot Deals' section at all.
How about something like the NVIDIA Shield Pro which is in short supply, and which sells for substantially higher than regular price on eBay and kijiji? Why shouldn't that be considered a Hot Deal when a reputable store has stock for sale at regular price.

Or how about the new remote control for the Shield, that also works with previous Shield models, that was selling on amazon.ca for more than regular price last week, yet was still half the price that people were asking on eBay? How is that not a Hot Deal?

In any case, even if a deal doesn't belong in Hot Deals, which is more effective for dealing with it and more welcoming to the noobie poster who made the mistake:
(a) a polite post to inform the OP why the deal isn't hot and/or link to a better price?
(b) a Report to mods to move the thread to a more appropriate location?
(c) a flood of downvotes, often accompanied by a bunch of gratuitous or snarky comments?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8882 posts
4202 upvotes
Markham
IcarusLSC wrote: Regular priced items do NOT belong in the 'Hot Deals' section at all.
Regular price or even overpriced items can be in hot deal. We have seen toilet paper lol. And also ring fit. That's why it's almost impossible to decide criteria
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1453 posts
651 upvotes
Ontario
They shouldn't be, or its the 'Regular Priced Deals' section then.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1453 posts
651 upvotes
Ontario
smartie wrote: How do you define hot deal
Normal retail price obviously isn't. It's not a deal at all, its normal retail price, how much simpler do you need it to be?!
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1895 posts
872 upvotes
London
IcarusLSC wrote: They shouldn't be, or its the 'Regular Priced Deals' section then.
It isn't the "Hot Price" forum either though.
"Deal" is defined by more than price.
smartie wrote: Regular price or even overpriced items can be in hot deal. We have seen toilet paper lol. And also ring fit. That's why it's almost impossible to decide criteria
I'd agree with this.
Something previously unavailable, which suddenly is available, qualifies.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4808 posts
3064 upvotes
Burnaby
arisk wrote: It isn't the "Hot Price" forum either though.
"Deal" is defined by more than price.

I'd agree with this.
Something previously unavailable, which suddenly is available, qualifies.
Nope. That's absurd.

Such thread wouldn't be discussing a saving ($) but availability, so it must not be in the Hot Deals Forum. Such thread could be posted as a PSA in a fitting category or by default in the Shopping Discussion forum as a Public Service Announcement.
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21415 posts
15514 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
IcarusLSC wrote: They shouldn't be, or its the 'Regular Priced Deals' section then.
IcarusLSC wrote: Normal retail price obviously isn't. It's not a deal at all, its normal retail price, how much simpler do you need it to be?!
aviador wrote: Nope. That's absurd.

Such thread wouldn't be discussing a saving ($) but availability, so it must not be in the Hot Deals Forum. Such thread could be posted as a PSA in a fitting category or by default in the Shopping Discussion forum as a Public Service Announcement.
A deal can be "hot" for reasons other than price.

Availability is one reason.

Additional inducements like bonus points, free accessories, free shipping, no tax, extended warranty, etc. are others.

Sometimes the price may be only slightly less than regular and what makes it a hot deal are the add-ons.

It all depends on the situation, the details of the deal and sometimes even the reader's location.

People assess the hotness of a deal only as it applies to them. They should consider that even if it's cold to them it might nevertheless be red hot to someone else.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8882 posts
4202 upvotes
Markham
aviador wrote: Nope. That's absurd.

You assume hot means saving, that's not necessarily an universal definition. Hot is a subjective opinion
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1453 posts
651 upvotes
Ontario
So when the Logitechs that retail for $99 everywhere or less where in stock but $435 on Kijiji etc that was a 'Hot Deal'?? lol... hardly... That was price gouging and illegal, but fine according to your criteria, same with toilet paper.
bylo wrote: A deal can be "hot" for reasons other than price.

Availability is one reason.

Additional inducements like bonus points, free accessories, free shipping, no tax, extended warranty, etc. are others.

Sometimes the price may be only slightly less than regular and what makes it a hot deal are the add-ons.

It all depends on the situation, the details of the deal and sometimes even the reader's location.

People assess the hotness of a deal only as it applies to them. They should consider that even if it's cold to them it might nevertheless be red hot to someone else.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8882 posts
4202 upvotes
Markham
IcarusLSC wrote: So when the Logitechs that retail for $99 everywhere or less where in stock but $435 on Kijiji etc that was a 'Hot Deal'?? lol... hardly... That was price gouging and illegal, but fine according to your criteria, same with toilet paper.
Read his post again
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1453 posts
651 upvotes
Ontario
smartie wrote: Read his post again
I did, but no sense debating with anyone other then those that are right eh, cyas...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21415 posts
15514 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
IcarusLSC wrote: So when the Logitechs that retail for $99 everywhere or less where in stock but $435 on Kijiji etc that was a 'Hot Deal'??
Don't be silly. Sigh...

Try rereading what I wrote. Slowly. Carefully.
That was price gouging and illegal, but fine according to your criteria, same with toilet paper.
Again, try rereading what I wrote. Slowly. Carefully.

I didn't say it was fine. I said that if there's a shortage of some item and it's reflected by an inflated market price, then if someone has a source at the regular retail price then it's a hot deal under the circumstances. I gave two examples of Shield products that even at regular retail price or slightly above it are still hot deals to someone who needs them now and can't wait.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2904 posts
3026 upvotes
GTA
bylo wrote: Keep in mind too that most threads have only a few dozen votes even though they may have been opened and read by thousands of people. How can one have any confidence in the net up/down number when the sample size is too small to have any statistical value?
I think that suggests a different issue altogether. Most RFDers don't take any time to participate meaningfully. A lot of users commit more time to downvote or snarkpost the OP. A lot of eyeballs will take advantage of a deal but not contribute any of their own.

Upvotes should be seen as guiding users to see how good a deal is. I agree with you, a downvote/upvote aggregated score is pointless. If a deal is good then it will have a lot of upvotes. Downvotes also enable some to abuse the system because they don't like the user, product, something random. And I never understood the attitude of some that upvotes are some valuable commodity. Someone show me a user here who has converted their upvotes into money, popularity, karma, better health...
c'mon get happy!
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14537 posts
5726 upvotes
Ottawa
bylo wrote: I didn't say it was fine. I said that if there's a shortage of some item and it's reflected by an inflated market price, then if someone has a source at the regular retail price then it's a hot deal under the circumstances. I gave two examples of Shield products that even at regular retail price or slightly above it are still hot deals to someone who needs them now and can't wait.
I agree. A deal is always relative.

To me: a deal happens when you can get an item with some advantage compared getting the same item in the current/general market. I like to use the Joe Shmoe example. Any random Joe Shmoe could go to ebay and overpay for a hard to find item. That's the current street price...due to low stock or gougers, the reality is that the current street price is greater than MSRP for some items.
If people on RFD post that they found that item at MSRP, we will pay less than Joe Shmoe did and that makes it a DEAL.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.